Sign in to follow this  
bullockm

ENGINE OIL TO USE IN G60

Hi, can someone tell me which is the best engine oil to use? Do superchargers require something special??

Cheers

Matt

This'll turn into a can worms......

I use Chevron 10/40 mineral oil which I get from costco, 17 quid for 4 gallons. I change it every 5000 KMs (never got an mph speedo). I have no problems with it. It uses a bit although having just replaced an oil seal on the charger I expect that to almost stop.

You can spend more if you like but steer clear of fully synthetic. It's just too thin and you will likely be constantly topping up.

VW synta silver tends to be popular choice from the usual suspects, GSF and Euro.

Gavin

I'd never buy an oil with the same name as a painted road partition....

We tend to use VW's quantum silver. Oil is oil at the end of....

yup, Synta Silver for me every time... (unless I'm running in a new engine in which case I use a nice 10/40 mineral oil like Gav suggests 8) )

See Matt, a can of worms :mrgreen:

The worst thing you can do is never change the oil.

Kev and Henny have more money than sense and are not from Yorkshire, where peole demand value for money :roll:

The oil I buy meets all the standards API SJ and in my mind is easily good enough for the job.

I do draw the line at buying oil from Netto.

Next,

Gavin :)

....anyone know what an eight valve Mk 2 Gti should be run on? Im guessing nothing more than standard is reqd? Or should I use semi?

....anyone know what an eight valve Mk 2 Gti should be run on? Im guessing nothing more than standard is reqd? Or should I use semi?

Same rules apply for the 8V.... Cheap American muck, or synta.

gavin

synta silver gets my thumbs up :thumbleft:

Yup, that's what VAG recommend and it's only about £14 for 5 litres even from the Stealers!

Whatever Stealth use.. so yeah.. Quantum / Synta Silver :)

I might try Olive oil next.....has to be 10/40W extra Virgin oil though.

If I spill a bit on the rocker cover, I could knock up a mean fry-up too :D

Sorry, it's Friday afternoon...roll on 5pm!

I just checked my cheapo no name oil and it meets API SJ/CF and VW 501.01/505.00.

So I am still happy to use it. When I run ot though I have set up a deal with the local chippy, he says he can get all the scraps out no problem :mrgreen:

Gavin

ok I am in US, they still sell the oil here?? and I cant get a genuine filter cause there are 500 of them in the US and they "dont make them anymore" and they wont transfer from stealers. So I use WIX same valve system works great. I ahve been using catrol GTX syntec blend, 60 regular oil and 40 synthetic 20W/50.... dont know if I should though after all of this synta talk

Synta is just the stuff they sell at VW, it's not a miracle oil.

It's probably made by someone else and stickered up for VW. Stevemac might have an idea who does it.

Find out which dealers have the filters and get them to mail you some.

Gavin

Wix oil filter for my G60 from my local autofactors, and Castrol 10W60 oil (as most folk in Germany do as well) :-)

Tempest

Synta Silver is the oil i use in all G60's and indeed many other VW Seat and Audi cars that i service. I agree that there is no majic about this product, it quite simply has a specification that suits the engineering, as indeed would any other semi synthetic oil of the same spec. If i'm honest about the whole thing i use Synta Silver in particular because my local dealer delivers my 208 Litre barrel and it is one less thing to worry about.