W3RKD

G60 owners ...please read this.

Thanks for bumping this thread - mine's getting serviced and MOT'd today so I've asked my mechanic to change mine to be on the safe side.

I'll second that, need to put mine in soon so will add this to my shopping list!

i had the cambelt done 2 years ago at midland vw dont know if they changed it or not? ive tried to get it out the other day but its proper stuck,i took the vbelt pulley off and painted it. How can you change it for a bolt off a mk1 anyway how can that be stronger the pg engine has load more bhp and torque?

Hi new to this i have a 92 g60 rado i de the t belt i got a new bolt ( 903 208 02 £2.34 ) & pulley ( vo49 105 263 c £25.83 ) & VW mechanic sed bolt is uprated old bolt on top have 8.8 new bolt have 10.9 he gave me torque settings ( 90NM + 1/4 turn futher oil threads & shoulder the quarter turn can be done in several stages this is from VW ) 1/4 turn woes a F**KING T***

as above, just buy a new PG (g60 engine) bolt as they've been uprated now...

DX was a MKI Golf Gti 1.8 engine...

id just like to mention this isnt just g60 engines at risk. ive watched a this happen twice to the same diesel caddy van.

well worth changing just to be sure.

dont know if there are any vw workers that can find it when they changed the hardness of the bolt?

Whats the PG engine part number for this, i will be going to stealers today.

Cheers

Stu

on p7 at the bottom

ok got the main bolt and the 4 allen key smaller bolts,

Jacked the car up to have a look, went to replace the allen bolts and noticing that two of the four already there were loose as hell, not even the same length as the OE parts. No wonder my pully is wobbling. So put the two new ones in, tightened up and gonna take it to a garage tomorrow to get the main bolt and other two allen bolts replaced. i dont have the tools to do it :S

Would a wobble in the pully cause timing issues?

ok got the main bolt and the 4 allen key smaller bolts,

Jacked the car up to have a look, went to replace the allen bolts and noticing that two of the four already there were loose as hell, not even the same length as the OE parts. No wonder my pully is wobbling. So put the two new ones in, tightened up and gonna take it to a garage tomorrow to get the main bolt and other two allen bolts replaced. i dont have the tools to do it :S

Would a wobble in the pully cause timing issues?

the pully that is held on with 4 allen key bolts wood not cause timing issues

if you have tmiing issues it wood be bast to have the garage remove the timing belt crankshaft pully

to check the woodruff key has not broken of as it is part of the pully

noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo! mine just sheared! and i only just rebuilt my engine, i replaced it during the rebuild as well! it had only done 200miles! bad times :(

hi could anyone help me with where to get these bolts and washers as i have tried my local vw dealer and no joy mabe being in OZ has its disadvantages afterall :(

I have a bottom end for sale if anyone suffers this issue with damage I also have a couple of PG crankshafts if people need a replacement! :)

i really am quite confused by this.

So what causes them to just break? my engine is on 92k and is due a cambelt soon so should i be making sure the bolt is replaced of do i not disturb it and work around it?

Just seams odd that people have replaced theres and it has then gone on to fail - are people using the wrong torque settings or what?

dave

mines come loose.luckily not caused any damage according to my mate,thank fooooooook,he's nipped it up so gonna book a trip down to gwerks an get the full engine the once over i reckon :)

ill catch u online sometime this week daz,to have a chat :)

according to this thread the torque setting for the crank bolt is 90Nm + 1/4 turn, which is what i did 6 months ago when i changed the bolt but according to the manuals here http://volkswagen.msk.ru/engine/aaa_pg/ ... nkcase.pdf (page 3) it should be 90Nm + 1/2 turn , now my crank bolt has come loose im starting to believe the later is correct, if thats the case anyone who has changed the bolt using the directions on this thread should change the bolt again and use the correct setting to avoid a potenially expensive failure.

where did the 90Nm + 1/4 turn come from?

i got some information form vw & it says 90 nm + 1/4 turn (90*) further

bentley manual says 90 nm + 1/2 turn

have don 3 g60 with no problem don to 90nm +1/4 turn i did use a small amount of thread lock

mine wos don about 2 yers ago

Cheers, will make sure it's threadlocked this time.

Was also looking for some info about the g60 crank locking tool, from the basic illustration I found it looks like it bolts onto the crank pulley using two of the 4 outer holes, the hub is off mine at the moment so I can't just put it in gear with someone on the brakes, I might get a mate of mine to make up a tool that uses all 4 of the bolt holes to hold it place while it is torqued up.

vw tool number is 3099 i don't think they will seal it tho i will ask my parts guy at vw on friday

& you need lock the flywheel not the pulley