Sign in to follow this  
dinkus

Getting keys cut

Right, so my plopply Mk3 needs another key because I've only got one at the moment. So I called up the stealers and they want £30+VAT to cut it and program the chip. :shock:

Anybody know a cheaper alternative??

Local independant garage? It's actually hard to program the key to the car. It's easier to do it the other way around.

There was a post very recently detailing the procedures.

Bl00dy hell - I found the dealers the cheapest place to get a proper VW key and they cut it for free but never had to get a chipped one...

Have you tried Timpsons - thats where i got my spare alarm keyfob from...

the g60 keys with the cover and light aren't available from VAG anymore (although GPC still sells 'em cheaply... ;) )

The 16V keys are still available from the dealers, so I don't know why the G60s ones aren't. 'G60' also covers the MK2 Golf and there's still tonnes of MK2 parts available.

kevhaywire, the G60 ones have a picture of a G60 on them... ;) That's the difference... 8)

The badge Kev, I got one from the dealers last year but i think they are now obselete - I reckon GPC just bought all the remaining stock...

Ah thought so.....so it's just the little red badge that's obsolete then, not the key as it's exactly the same as the 16V one!

yeah, it's got the red scroll symbol as well as the "G60" script on the lid... It's still cheaper to get 'em from GPC and they have both G60 and 16V versions... ;)