Sign in to follow this  
slammedmk2

Advice needed please

I have just bought a 1990 16v and have a couple of problems that if anyone could offer any suggestions that would be great.First one is the drivers side handle,when i pull it to open the door,the whole handle pivots,like it isnt attached in the middle.Also the central locking is working ok apart from the boot lock which i have to unlock/lock manually but it sounds like the motor is working in the boot??

I can answer the first one - yr handle's busted! Ideal time to fit Passat rear handles and thus delock the doors... ;) Or you could just replace the handle - takes about fifteen mins, including swapping the lock barrels over...

hndles are common fault to break expensive from dealers £80 + cheaper at GPC

Daves16v on here does a repair kit although dont know if urs is bust in the same way

as for boot lock u can set it not too open with the main pump by turning it to 2o`clock position i think

so turn it to another position ( 9o`clock or 12o`clock and try it then

HTH

gradeAfailure, b-loxs its the white u shaped bracket behing the handle is broken or missing

their on the passat ones too,,,doesnt sit flush otherwise,,or comes away from the door when pulled upon.

If the whole handle pivots then it would suggest something else it bust. Remove the securing screw and pull the handle out it see what's bust. The screw on the driver side are sometimes left hand thread.

Spoke to the previous owner last night as he brought the standard parcel shelf round,and he gave me the white u shaped clip which he didnt have time to fit,so that answers that question

Spoke to the previous owner last night as he brought the standard parcel shelf round,and he gave me the white u shaped clip which he didnt have time to fit,so that answers that question

8) :lol: nicely sorted , i hate it when peeps post questions and then dont reply with their solution

welcome aboard , post some pics mate

haha i think thats the 1st time ive been right on an occasion wooohoooo

first time i can remember :lol: :lol:

i should bother more often

i think this is a turning point in your career mate , you'll be running a vw dealership next :wink:

i should bother more often

i think this is a turning point in your career mate , you'll be running a vw dealership next :wink:

wicked,,, i'll be rich, at the prices they charge

i can see my empire forming already :-P

both my door handles are now really lose and you can almost see into the door behind the handle!

When i pull my handle, drivers and passengers, the whole handle moves and pulls out of the door.

has anyone got a picture of how the clip looks and how it fits, and how do you remove the passat handles at a scrapyard?

Neil

the handle is held one with one screw inside the door (on the side) level with the handle itself. you will also need the locking mech which is held on with to allan bolt type things...

well ive taken that screw out, finding out the drivers one it a clockwise thred to undo(how long did that take me to find out!)

I have taken the whole door handle out of the door and had a look and im not sure how its meant to be held into the door if its only got one screw?