Sign in to follow this  
paddyg

Headlining cleaning?

Hey,

I tried the search but it didnt show up what I was looking for, so here goes. I want to clean the interior headlining and Ive read a similar thread before and it said to be careful that the headlining doesnt fall off? I cant find that thread now. Has this ever happened to anyone?

Will the headlining fall off (or get saggy) if it gets wet?

What was the name of the autoglym clearer anyone used?

Any tips on doing the job?

Cheers,

paddyg

Easy....

Go to Tescos and purchase the following products:-

1 x Microfibe cloth - 99p (lesser cloths leave bits of themselves everywhere)

1 x Bottle of 1001 stain remover

Sit in the back seats, soak cloth with stain remover, scrub roof :D

It's as simple as that and no the headlining doesn't sag when it gets wet unless it's completely f'cked, or literally soaked through to the fibre backing, which is unlikely to happen unless you have a particular penchant for hosing down the inside of your car aswell as outside....and I know as I cleaned my Headlining monthly when I used to smoke.

as far as i know the only reason the headlining sags is when you use a cleaner that attacks the glue that bonds the cloth to the foam and fibre board that forms the shape of the headlining so avoid any spirit based cleaning products

will try that 1001 stuff on mine tonight as my mum just bought some

Shroud of Turin...LOL!

As Mr Cooliorado says, avoid harsh chemicals. Domestic cleaners will be fine.

In fact, if you want to be really hardcore about this, drop an Aeriel liquitab into some warm water and clean the lining with that ..... and the seats whilst you're there :wink:

If Aeriel can get fudge off my kecks, then it can surely remove nicotine and road dirt from headlinings :lol:

If Aeriel can get fudge off my kecks, then it can surely remove nicotine and road dirt from headlinings :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol: I think ill go with the tesco 1001 stuff! Dont want to be cleaning with the liquitab and remembering ur analogy at the same time!!!

Cheers for that fellas.

PaddyG

No worries mate....but I was of course referring to Cadburys fudge, which is a known challenge to any soap powder :wink:

If 1001 isn't available for what ever reason, try also Vanish spot remover spray etc.... they're pretty much the same thing but 1001 seemed OK.

a very well known company told me before they use non chlorine bleech on thier interiors everytime,and it works amazingly,,, and they have some really nice show cars one rado previously in PVW

but personally i like 1001 also its great u can even buy a bottle at the £1 shop with a brush on the end for doing the carpets :wink:

£1 for 1001 :shock:

I remember when you could clean a BIG BIG carpet for less than half a crown

2cc, u pay from £5-£7 for the same stuff in halfords with a car carpet and upholstery sticker on it

I remember when you could clean a BIG BIG carpet for less than half a crown

Was that, "the carpet you can afford from Cyril Lord" ?

Best wishes

RB

Oh dear, the old boys reminiscing :wink: Sorry chaps. I find the best is Vanish spray or Ace bleach (non chlorine as per FurkiG60, ) Spray on lightly and give a gentle rub with a microfibre cloth. When its dry you can raise teh knap slighty by hoovering. Alternatively use a carpet shampoo spray that you can pick up from Lidl or Tescos. Hoover lightly afterwards to get the best finish. You'll find it also removes smells too.

Oh dear, the old boys reminiscing Sorry chaps

........and this on a forum of people absolutely convinced that cars at least ten years old are the epitome of excellence.

Back onto the subject, thanks to all, this is a necessary task for me this weekend, particularly on the Passat which is very grubby indeed.

Best wishes

RB

........and this on a forum of people absolutely convinced that cars at least ten years old are the epitome of excellence.

spot on Roger!