Sign in to follow this  
PhatVR6

I WAS absolutely pig sick of my car....not now!!!

I've only got as far as I have because of deadlines. if I hadn't booked the croft trackday it's still be sat in the garage with no fuel tank, prop, brakes or wheels on it.

It WILL be up and running for GTI festival, and hopefully show standard by Edition 38.

Good to hear you're back on top of it, and Id like to echo what dubster82 said, in that there are people in awe of this project up and down the country. Give us a shout if you need an extra pair of hands any Saturday.

Cheers,

Tom

Not just up and down the country.. the Americans have been soiling themselves about this project over on the Vortex as well! :D

Phat.....your not the type of guy to let a car beat you. In an arse kicking contest you'll always win.

Leave the car for now, have your holiday when you get back you'll soon have the project kicked into touch.

Can wait to see this car. R32 motor, 4x4 convertion by someone who can't bleed brakes :-P Maybe you should drop it off with the lads at Kwik Fit to finish :lol:

Stick with it bud.

I so know how u felt when u wrote this !

I very nearly threw in the towel on mine a couple weeks ago, just had enough and was extremely sick of it! Felt like smashing it up and be done with it!

Glad u got yourself together anyway and good luck......it will be worth it in the end.

Can wait to see this car. R32 motor, 4x4 convertion by someone who can't bleed brakes :-P Maybe you should drop it off with the lads at Kwik Fit to finish :lol:

Stick with it bud.

LMAO! :lol:

Well, time to retitle this thread!!

I was determined to get to the bottom of the brakes issue, which I think I have now (see the brake thread for an explanation).

Had to take it out for a test drive, then realised I had no petrol, so I wnet for some petrol. then realised I was a stones throw away from york dragway, so I decided to go there too!!

Halfway there noticed a bit of smoke, stopped for a check. just crap burngin off the exhasut, and the exhaust wrapping drying out, phew! then realised I was parked half on gravel/mud, and half on a wet road. time to test the 4wd!!! Have to give it a fair few revs to pull away anyway (light fly wheel and engine wasn't running 100%) so I wellying it and let it go. f*ck me!! 4 wheel wheelspin for a breif second then the thing just launched!!! amazing, well happy with the first test for the 4wd!

engine still wasn't running right though. it felt as quick as the VR6, but was only revving to about 3500rom before hitting the limiter, weird.

got o the dragway. as you will know if you've been there, the acces road is the biggest, most potholed heap of sh1te goign. now it had been raingin all morning too............picture the scene. me, in my freshly roadworthy car,.......4wd........wet gravel/concret........steel wheels......and borrowed suspension :-)

I was colin mcrae for that moment. 4wd is mint!! flat out in 3rd, bit of sideways here and there, lovin it!

got to the pits, my mate andy has his vag-com with him. checked the error codes, 5 of them. Had a quick look int he engine bay, plugged a few connectors in, and before long there's only one code.

I decided against taking it on the strip, just in case I broke it, but the drive home was err....entertaining!

the car park and exit is almost as bad as the entry road.....or as good if you look at it that way! My mate was following in his revo'd mk4 1.8T. I ripped it along the road and he said 2 huge plumes of dust and shite came flying off the back tyres and the car just squatted down as shot off. it took him ages to catch me up (dodging the pot holes with his 18" bbs's).

Finally onto the main road, took it steady oin 1st and second, just seeing if it'd rev a bit higher, then noticed my mate had come flying up behind me in the mk4, so I floored it in 35rd, then 4th, and found him about 50 yards behind me and dropping fast! impressive :-)

Can't selct 6th gear yet, something in the shifter is stopping me from doing so. and the prop bolts worked loose and I had to call the AA, who managed to lend me the tools to tighten them back up (they will be loctited in soon), so it was steady away from there onwards.

So, still a long long way away from being finished, so I won't be bringing it to inters for everyone to pick fault with it in it's unfinished state. but damn, it has some potential, and if it wont' run a mid 13 I'll eat my underpants.

So, thanks for the support, it's helped pull me through the stress, and I'm glad I didn't give up, it's been oh so worth it, and it's just going to get better and better.

shut it daz, you're only jealous becasue you DID give up on your 4wd corrado 24v and sold it to coxy, and now you know what you're missing out on!

sounding alot more positive phat, glad to hear it! theres nothing worse than getting frustrated with something you've put alot of time and effort into although somehow when it all comes together it makes you feel a whole lot more satisfied. At least you can be quietly smug with the fact that what you've achived can never be called easy! Looking forward to seeing the car in the metal at VW festival (if you're going?) admiring all the shiny bits and nodding/pointing as if i understand what everything else does ;)

engine looks shiny enough in your avatar and thats a 'bit' isnt it? :lol: granted a rather large bit bit....

how can i be shiny, it's plastic!

I wished I could have taken a pic of it today, with mud sprayed all up the sides after my rally-a-thon.

sounds like you've had a good blast today with it mate... it's good to hear that it has restored your faith in the project! Look forward to seeing this someday 8)

thank god for that.... 8) Good to hear you got it going properly now Phat... Can't wait to see this little beasty in the metal, shame you're not taking it to Inters yet though... :|