Sign in to follow this  
keizerschoze2002

Looking for my 1st Corrado, which one do I go for?

Help needed! :?:

Im looking into buying a corrado and Im a little unsure as to which model I should go for, is there a big difference in the insurance groups? Also, Im not particularly knowledgeable when it comes to the mechanics although Im desperate to learn, so can anyone lend me a hand and point me in the right direction for whats easiest to maintain/manage?

Thanks for your help guys

Oz

(an almost c owner)

Well, welcome to the forum!

In short, if you want something thats a little cheaper to run (petrol, insurance, and parts) then go for the 16v. Its a well known, simple, standard VW engine that would be a good place to start from. Once you're used to it and the Corrado in general, look to move onto a VR6 :)

From what I've seen of the price of the 1.8 valvers lately, go for one of those; especially as you won't have a catalytic converter to worry about come MOT time... Unless you really want that extra teeny little bit of torque and the late body/interior of the 2.0 valver! ;)

Edit: BTW, welcome to the forum chap!

Cheers guys, quite enjoying the forum now Im finding my way around it. Always been quite into my cars but 9 months ago bought a house and had to sell my Lexus IS200! It was a sad day, but I have always really, REALLY fancied a corrado so its about time I indulged! Not got a massive budget, around the £4k mark, but think if I wait about could get something tidy. Cheers for the help

Hey mate welcome to the forum.. you'll find a nice rado for 4k.. I'd go for a G60...

Slightly put off by the fact that its got the supercharger, could I be opening up a can of worms if I pick a wrong'un? The thing is I havent really got a lot of wedge to be splashing out if things go majorly wrong? Thats why I thought I would go for the 2.0 16v to keep things reasonably sensible

Yep, you'd get a nice valver for that budget, mate.

Get the buying guide from HERE printed off, and ask if any of the nice people from HERE can help you out when you go to look, and you prob won't go far wrong.

Welcome aboard by the way. :D

you could get a decent g60 and still have plenty left over to get the charger re-built (which should be done as a matter of course ) and any other niggly bits that might need doing

Slightly put off by the fact that its got the supercharger, could I be opening up a can of worms if I pick a wrong'un? The thing is I havent really got a lot of wedge to be splashing out if things go majorly wrong? Thats why I thought I would go for the 2.0 16v to keep things reasonably sensible

keep an open mind and look for the tidiest car you can find, mechanicals are generally cheaper to fix than bodywork. All are fun to drive and much more involving than most other cars on the road, but the 1.8 16v will be the cheapest to run and insure, and the G60 and VR6 the quickest, like most cars the later ones are more likely to have faults ironed out by the manufacturers and be the least corroded and worn, don't expect there to be zero running costs from any of them in your first year of ownership though!

David.

but the 1.8 16v will be the cheapest to run and insure,

you might be suprised as to how little the difference is between 1.8 , 2.0, g60, vr6 . I just assumed that my insurance would be alot cheaper with an 8v but in fact it would cost me £50 a year more to have a vr6!. All corrados are high insurance because they are classed as a coupe. You have to looka t want you want from the car as a package really......

if you want speed and tweekabiliy then i think a g60 would be a good buy...you could get a really nice one for 4k...or a nice one for 3k and have the charger done.

for effortless power with the new interior etc and the vr6 grunt you could get a nice example for 4k too by looking around.

Over all though..if you want a nice car with good performance thats affordable to maintain then i'd go for a low millage 2.0 16v. Just my opinion but overall they seem to be the "sensible " option. again 4k should get you a pretty decent one.....

dont rush into it though...maybe try all 3..... enjoy the search!.

p.s....you could always buy a nice black 95 8v......35mpg 8)

hi!!!

i went for a 2ltr valver as my first C a couple of months ago - have a lot of work to do to get her going well (unfortunately i didnt have 4k to spend and had to settle on one for a grand) but dont regret it cos there great cars - unfortunately i now know that i am gonna end up getting a VR6 someday. its addictive, it dont matter what one u buy now, you'll either want another one or you'll end up with a list of stuff u wanna do to the one youve got..... i'd say go for a valver and see how much time and money youve got to spare then take it from there...

You could get a good VR6 for £4K. You could get an excellent G60 or 16v fo the same money. 16v is cheapest to run and maintain (unless you're unlucky).

I started off with a G60, and it was great fun,......but when the time came to get a newer Corrado I went for a VR6....amazing. A VR6 would be my recommendation, but we're probably all bias in one way or another!

vr6 all the way - had 5 now. in all honestly have found them easy to maintain and don't really see the argument that valvers are cheaper - never found vr parts expensive.

insurance - i pay £300 FC from Priviledge - typically get 30mpg - whatmore do you want - go for the best first, theres no need working your way up with a budget of 4k - i have a lurverly obd2 blue one you could have for that :)

don't really see the argument that valvers are cheaper - never found vr parts expensive.

you might not of found that vr parts are expensive....but they are deffinatly more expensive than vulver parts.

for example how about the cost of a head gasket change? i expect you would find the difference in cost to be quite big, as with most things.

I would agree that the vr6 is the 'c' to have......but not in all circumstances.......with the ammount of daily driving i do...a vr6 would have crippled me finacialy by now.

p.s....you could always buy a nice black 95 8v......35mpg 8)

Blimey this is confusing! What insurance group is a VR6? Got my age and a slightly colourful driving record going against me (back down to 3 points at the mo, previously 6!)

I didnt realise there was an 8v! Oh well, Im here to learn!

Anyones for sale while Im here?!!

keizerschoze2002, insurance as follows (although some companies seem to change them slightly sometimes!)

1.8 16v 15

1.8 G60 17

2.0 16v 17

2.0 8v 16-17

VR6 18

VR6 Storm 19!!!!

HTH

Whereabouts in Kent are you?

The land of un-opportunity!

you got the whole of Europe an hour away!!! :lol:

i'd love to live in Dover...id be in france all the time....the french roads are awsome.

The land of un-opportunity!

you got the whole of Europe an hour away!!! :lol:

i'd love to live in Dover...id be in france all the time....the french roads are awsome.

The roads might be but you know what they say about the french!