Sign in to follow this  
Dub Style

Early and late VR6 engines

I've heard that earlier vr6 engines came with a distributor rather than a coil pack what other differences are there between the two engines, surly the CP type will have sensors for timing of the engine and the D type wont.

can somone tell me roughly how many sensors do each of the engines have for the engine to operate.

Reason i ask is i'm considering an engine change soon and if i go for a replacement VR then i would prefer somthing with less electrics and sensors that start playing up.

not sure on the exact differences, but the earlier vr's are known as 'obd1' and in a shock move by VW, the later ones are 'obd2' ;) might help you in some way!

The differences between the two engines pretty much comes down to late cars have:

• coil pack instead of distributor[/*:m:1fd76]
  • ECU-based immobiliser system[/*:m:1fd76]
  • hot film MAF instead of hot wire MAF (? not sure on this one ?)[/*:m:1fd76]
  • some minor wiring loom differences (such as the OBD2 diags connector and the MAF sensor plug)[/*:m:1fd76]

So there's not a lot in it. Both have the ability to do spark timing per-cylinder, to some extent.

The only difference between the two is in the ignition.

The distributor model has a dizzy driven from the front cam and a hall sender.

CP models dumped the dizzy and the hall sender was then plonked in front of the rear cam.

That's pretty much it bar some rudimentary electrical changes. So I'm afraid the distributor VR has no less sensors than the late engine.

not sure on the exact differences, but the earlier vr's are known as 'obd1' and in a shock move by VW, the later ones are 'obd2' might help you in some way!

Well, all Corrado's were ODB1, they just changed the connector later on...

Yes they have the same sensors with this exception:-

Distributor engine = Hall sender inside dizzy.

Coilpack engine = Hall sender in upper timing chain cover.

The coilpacks and distributors are roughly the same price and break with the same regularity, so one is no cheaper than the other to run.

Would the power or responsiveness be any different between the engines?

Nope, I've driven both types and there is no difference in responsiveness or power output. I just think VW used a coilpack on later engines to get a more efficient spark for a better burn for the emisssions regulations.