Sign in to follow this  
WONGA

drilling airbox "how to"?

ive tried searching for the topic to drill the airbox on my 2.0 16v,but cant find it, can anyone give me any advice on doing this please?

thanks steve

obviously take the bottom section out of the car, make sure all the holes are below the the filter and that you clean all the holes up so there's no bits of plastic hanging, before you do any drilling have you tried removing the snorkel from the bottom section and giving that a go sounds lovely, can be done in 5 mins and returned back to original in the same time.....

Off Topic -- Nice Avatar :?

As were on the subject of drilled airboxes, whats the best way to fill the holes back up, or would it be best to just buy a new box :roll:

Seriously mate, don't bother.

It just makes more noise and does nothing for performance...

Seriously mate, don't bother.

It just makes more noise and does nothing for performance...

Can you prove that? Ive drilled many a airbox and when joined with a nice cold air feed,works really well and sounds the bollox

The magic phrase " .. and when joined with a nice cold air feed.." ..

Not exactly indicative of the effectiveness of drilling the box on it's own then, is it?

( ** I'd like to point out that I've not tried it so can't actually comment on the effectiveness myself. I'm just trying to apply a little scientific rigour here.. :) )

Ok i shoot myself in the foot! Scientific rigour would point to more air entering box due to the increased surface area open to atmosphere...........That sounded like i knew wot i was on about!

The term 'more air' is a misnomer. NA engines suck in what they need, so swiss-cheesing the air box isn't going to suddenly allow the engine to suck in more than it needs.....turbos are needed for that.

And besides, if VW felt swiss cheesing the airbox would help, they'd have cancelled the R&D on their boxes and done it themselves, saving a shed load of money.

And I HAVE done it on a MK2 16V Golf and it does sweet FA.....except make a god awful racket.

couldnt this actually be detrimental to performance as the more swiss cheese like the airbox gets, the more hot air from under the bonnet gets sucked in, and as hotter air = less power wouldnt you be better of just removing the trumpet from the front of the air box (which can be repalced and wont damage the air box) and then run a cold air feed to it from outside

The idea is to drill the wing side so no hot air gets in.Also vw would of drilled holes everywhere if they didnt have to comply to noise regulations etc

The air drawn in from behind the headlight is perfectly adequate...as proven on Stealth's rollers many a time when I had my 16Vs....

I have done it in the past on several cars, with no major performance change. Lots of noise which some people love and others hate. If you love it and it makes your car more enjoyable for you, then go for it and enjoy the induction noise. My air box is totally sealed except for a large pipe ducting cold air from behind the grill, which made a very small difference to performance, with pretty much standard noise levels.