Sign in to follow this  
mk4steve

New member looking for advice on what type of Rado to buy

Hi everyone, ive had vw's for 15 years, owning everything going except a Corrado.

Im looking to purchase and use as a 2nd car (family car 5 door Golf 1.8T)

I will only be doing 100-150 miles a week, what would be the best buy?

Budgets not a problem, i had a look at a VR the other day, pity to see such a nice car been neglected (Guy wanted top money for what should have been classed as spares or repair)

Yeah, this is budget dependent - both the VR and G60 are both good contenders although you'll be able to buy a younger VR as the G60 run finished in '92ish (or then abouts - correct me if I'm wrong)

Welcome to the forum BTW - hope you find a good one 8)

It depends how much of a hobby you'd like it to become I think... I'd say either a G60 or a VR6 if it's going to be a second car, although as a rule both of them have a more expensive upkeep than a valver.

Would you be looking to do any modifications, tinker yourself etc? If so then the word is that a G60 can be more easily tweaked than the VR although I'm not going to be the one to start THAT debate again :-)

Good luck and have fun with whatever you choose,

Tom

P.S The buying guide is very useful, and once you've made your choice, keep an eye on the Cars for Sale section as members' cars will generally be better looked after than those you might find in the Trader.

If budget is not an issue then i assume you'd want the most sought after type. Hence a VR6. Mind you i have a 16valver and i couldn't be happier.

Also go for full interior leather....makes all the difference. (To me anyway)

I am planning to modify,

Wheels, kw suspension,

Has anyone fitted TT seats in a Rado before? seen plenty of Porsche.

Probably leave engine standardish.

you may find TT seats sit too high so will require some modifying... I'd go for a M or a N (if you can find one) reg VR tbh

I'd go for a late VR (M or N) with leather and air-con and FSH.

Don't bother with a Storm. You'll pay a couple of G's for a badge and nothing else.

After having my g60 my heart would tell you to go for one of these.

But now i have a mark 3 golf vr6, i would say go for a late vr6 something like an m or n as suggested above. The 92 cars now are just slightly looking a little to old in the dash dept.

Unless your the mother of modding like Mr Renshaw and you make it into a brand new model inc all mod cons.

Mark :evil:

Welcome to the site.. if yr going for a late one.. go for a VR or even a G60...

the VR has a bit more kudos, haven't driven the g60 but would think it is probably a bit more fun being a bit lighter and revy low down, but agreed if you have plenty to spend, get a late storm, it's a no brainer.

i reckon you should buy a 1990 16v, lowered on 17"s with full leather for 1800 ono! :) :)

why's that :lol:

i reckon you should buy a 1990 16v, lowered on 17"s with full leather for 1800 ono! :) :)

why's that :lol:

just have a feeling it would be right for him. nothing else. :oops: