Sign in to follow this  
Kezbo

Cracked roof seal?

Hello

Just been to see a Corrado, among the usual problems of sunroof, sticky vent controler and notchy light switch. The 2 seals that run along the roof at the edges the sealant has cracked and is comming away in places. Is there an easy fix to this? Just thinking if its something that would stop me buying my first corrado vr.

Thanks guys, youve been really helpful so far!

The only fix is to replace them. Oh, you can't, cos VW don't have any. :roll: Shame.

It's not going to leak, it's a purely cosmetic thing..

Yeah, there expensive but its one of those things you only need to replace once every 10 years...

Fairly easy to fit altho you have to be careful with the allignment.

£40 a side is a small price to pay to keep a future classic in shape....and a lot of people spend more than that on a p1ss up.

Fitting is a pain in the butt. The leading edge (windscreen end) needs clipping into a 'peg' in the channel first (you need to push down aswell as forward), then you have to press the trim into the gutter and align the trailing edge into another peg at the rear of the gutter.

The gutter needs to be clinically clean otherwise the self adhesive backing won't stick.

In hindsight, I would put lots of black silicon in mine and then pressed the trims in which would stop the water p1ssing into the car when you open the window after a rainfall. The water gathers under the trim and when you brake, it spills out and onto the leccy window switches....nice one VW!

I have just trimmed off the rubber on the inside edge with a sharp stanley knife.

I have found that they hold themselves into the recess very well without the self adhesive tape, so have not replaced this. I now remove the strips whenever I wax the car. Allows a good clean of the strips and stops you getting polish all over the strips.

Removing the rubber from the inner edge also seems to make them better at controlling the water on the roof, dont get the deluge of water on the window switches as much now.

Biggest bonus is the £80 in my pocket! All round winner.

There's hundreds of "only £40 once every ten years" repairs to be done on Corrados. Which is a bit shite if you happen to have a ten year old Corrado!