Jim

The definitive "what exhaust?" discussion thread!

yeah,fair point.

i think im right in saying that vw systems tend to flow pretty well anyway...?

neil.

I never said *I* believed they improved performance... Some people do though...

Many people *have* claimed that the reduced weight is good, which it no doubt is, but given how heavy a Corrado is anyway I don't see the point myself..

....otherwise it's all Jedi mind tricks.

F@@kin' love the analogy kevhaywire Spot on! Take a bow!

I have to say that when i swapped my engine over to my current car which had a full std system as opposed to the cat pass & Mongoose system it used in the previous car the difference was amazing!

I raced my VR against one of the skylines and it out accellerated it at any speed, Chrishill ws in the car to verify!

The std zorst set up and the same skyline racing against me with the same driver etc and he was sitting beside me gesturing me to go for it but i was to the floor, he wasn't!!!!!!!!!!!!

Huge difference, i think what i'm saying here is that the std zorst is good for a std VR but that's it, if you are producing a higher CFM of exhaust gasses then you need zorst that can handle that greater CFM adequately IMO

Chris

Supersprint Cat back system with Stainless steel oval OE style back box. Superb quality , fit, sound and performance.

Jim - thanks for this, great idea!

Car: Scirocco

Exhaust: Jetex

Op: lovely deep note. Too loud for ma', vw put on.

Car: 16v 2.0 Corrado

Exh: VW system + Bosal back-box

Opinion: VW cat appears to be original and due replacing after its 10yrs. Bosal is cheapo naff put on by previous owner not long ago - blowing now, but very quite.

Campaign & Kev are tempting me towards an original VAG. However heart says Jetex £320 Cat-back (over Magnex by price alone £365).

Found a place that does most VW CAT's: Ceramic = £66 , steel-inner = £125. +VAT.

An exhaust will only improve performance if there is a major restriction along the gas path, such as the deliberately restricted front pipes on Subaru Imprezas for example....otherwise it's all Jedi mind tricks.

Gotta agree, replacing one part rarely does much; all 3 parts gotta be done - ie: Air-intake , Engine , Exhaust ; to allow proper flow, only as good as the weakest part.

My 2.0 16v had the remains of a Bosal system on it, and judging by the amount of warranty jobs on that system (in the reciepts folder) and judging by the work I had to have done on the exhaust as well, it was appalling quality. 2 backbox swapouts in the space of a few years.. that was then just ditched in favour of a VW backbox.. and then about 4 months into me owning it the centre section blew all its silencers out and I had to have it swapped for a VAG part as my car sounded like a dragster.

I would never ever reccomend a Bosal on my experience with their exhausts!

what i'm saying here is that the std zorst is good for a std VR but that's it, if you are producing a higher CFM of exhaust gasses then you need zorst that can handle that greater CFM adequately IMO

In a nutshell that's precisely it....or narrowing it down even more, if you've got forced induction, then exhaust design can yield good results....but when mine had the cams and Schrick etc, the exhaust didn't make a blind bit of difference....there's only so much manipulation of the exhaust gases you can do with N/A engines.

The standard VR system does actually flow very well, especially when it's all carboned up after a good few years use.

My Vr6 has had a cat back Magnex system on it for last two years and has been superb and is not that loud i would recommend this system.

Was between this and a new standard system due to the extra cost of haveing that fitted, lowering the axle etc, i went with the magnex.

With our horrendous currency, I suggest you buy them from here! TTTuning.com . 2.5inch fully stainless, rolling road proven. :D

Kev, what put you off the miltek? I understnad this isnt a moaning post, just opinions, im just interested in why you ditched it?

Cheers

Nick

Excessive noise and clonking on the rear axle were the main issues, plus it was no quicker than with the VAG exhaust, and it's supposed to be a Performance system??

Vince at Stealth fitted it, so there's absolutely no way it was fitted incorrectly, which the supplier implied. There was a glaringly obvious design fault on the middle hanger bar, which Vince spotted when it was sitting on the floor, not having fitted one to a C before!!

Credit due to Milltek, they did eventually sort the clonking (by welding the hanger bar in the correct position) but I was never happy with the excessive boom once the exhaust was fully heated up.

I think you must have got the last of the VAG exhausts from GSF Kev, cos as pointed out to me by StuartFZR400, they no longer seem to have that part number listed.

Perhaps they only had two, and I had the other one... :)

I'm not 100% sure the GSF one was/is particularly sharp either mate....mine's starting to boom already and the axle 'over pipe' is rusted completely :? I'm kind of hoping it's the cat on it's way out, which would make the exhaust louder. Haven't climbed under and investigated yet.

Well it's genuine (or mine is), but of course it was made in 1993 or so, and it's been sitting around for a while...

Yes mine seems a little louder than the original one too, and yes, the over pipe is rusted, but the old one was too.. Who knows?

I just put it down to the lack of 8 years of coking-up..

Just after posting that, it dawned on me the over pipe has rusted because it's a hybrid system and that particular pipe must be mild steel as the fore and aft pipes are still spanking new, as are the boxes.

Yeah, and the old one had a mild steel overpipe too, and that hadn't rusted through after 8 years, so I don't see why this one should, either..

Aye.... I suppose the mildy steel offers a little flexibility as that heavy old lump of pig iron must move around something chronic! Stainless systems usually crack there first.

VAG system for the 2.0 16v

Part ,, Part # ,, Price

Down pipe ,, 358253087 ,, £315.84

CAT ,, 357131701CX ,, £300.07

Seal ,, 357253137A ,, £ 7.79

Gasket ,, 533253115C ,, £ 8.01

Front box ,, 357253209A ,, £ 97.31

Mid box ,, 535253409K ,, £158.63

Rear box ,, 535253609R ,, £131.60

Clamps (x3) ,, 1HO253139D ,, £ 12.10 each

(*all including VAT)

Tad expensive; get 10% off maybe.

What does the VAG back box look like? - now see Gallery in my sig

- dull silver , , black , , polished ?

It's cheaper to have no exhaust. But that's not exactly productive in the context of the current conversation either.

No reviews from Powerflow? Ben?

So basically Milltek and Magnex are good if fitted properly.

Supersprint and Genuine will both rust and fall off and both weigh a ton and cost too much - and have stopped making them or have been lying in the back of Mr VW's shed for the last 8 years...

And thats about it!

I'm going to get banned from the forum now aren't I.....

EDIT - And Jetex are good also