Sign in to follow this  
markymark

Evil spirits under the bonnet...

Anyone ever experienced anything like this before?...

Went to start my 1994 16V 2.0l (which has never been a problem at all and had new battery 6 monthes ago when I bought it) but there was NO reaction at all when I turned the ignition i.e. no noise from the starter motor (but the lights/ radio etc all worked fine indicating no battery problem). Next day I tried again and it didn't work. Later on, when I was just about to call the AA I tried to start the car and it worked just fine.....

There is an immobilier fitted that the guy I bought it off said had caused problems with the starter motor (don't know what sort of problems) and hence it has been deactivated (don't ask me how - no idea about these things).

Does anyone have an idea as to what might be the problem as I have now lost all confidence that the car will start when I need it to!

Cheers.....[schild=6 fontcolor=000000 shadowcolor=C0C0C0 shieldshadow=1]wierd![/schild]

Ignition relay? Dodgy earth? Definately check the immobiliser though and see if it has been disconnected....

Yeah, I'd have said ignition switch. With the ignition in the normal driving position, try disconnecting the +ve terminal of the starter solenoid and bridging the solenoid to the battery (without electrucuting yourself of course!) - if the starter turns then I'd say ingnition switch...

Bally - remeber that flipping petrol station just outside Bath after Longleat!

yeah how could I forget.. Eric & you trying to start the bloody thing.. the ignition switch facked up on me enough times.. ended up calling RAC out who showed me another way of starting it LOL

What everyone else has said, it sounds like your ignition switch! I had the same thing happen on my '95 valver last year. IIRC, the part was about £15 delivered from GSF, and it took about 2 hours of contortion and swearing to replace (but only 'cos I was too lazy to take the seats out). I have knack all mechanical knowledge btw, and did it using the 'how-to' guide on the forum.

As well as making a direct connection from the battery to the starter motor another check is to keep gently turning the key when it's in the position that should start the car, and see if your needles jump.

Cheers,

Tom

Don't get the GSF one if it is the switch, get a genuine VAG one! By all accounts, they're a lot better for only a few dollars more...

Ah sorry, I didn't realise that as the car was written off about a month after I replaced the switch so it didn't have time to break again :-)

Mine wasn't £20 either!

The VW one is black and really nicely made. The GSF one is white and brittle and lasts about 2 years, tops.....and stereo 'on' * switch in the middle doesn't work on the GSF ones either.

* - Stereo stays on until you take the key out of the barrel.