Sign in to follow this  
golfg60

Honda civic - type R race

So, a G60 is more than capable of humbling a CTR.....

And as for the lectures on speeding/racing....this is a car forum and nobody is cleaner than a preacher's sheets.

We all take responsibility for our own actions, it is not our place to condemn people for taking their own risks, unless it affects us directly.

:scratch: What about the 2.0 16v?

Civic Driver = Twonk :!: - I had a similar shock recently. Did my usual nip round a large roundabout to go flying past a black Civic-R as we enter a duel-carriageway. Glad with my manouver Im looking to pull into the 1st lane of this duel-carriageway, when behold in my mirror is that Civic, flashing lights etc (Chav). I slowly move over for n0bb-head and let him by, but with foot flat to floor. He clears off with a BM for company. Im left scratching my head - do they have 200bhp or somthin?

Over the brow & down to next island... haha ive caught him up - sure enough he sees me and boots it...... bye, he's off again ; through some bends and im gaining.... another island a good 800yds off and he braking in the outside lane - wtf !! , im not thinking of braking for atleast half that - wot a twonk! Slowly slowly roud this island then he boots it. Im not interested (b*gger-him - i cud muller him on the bike if all he wants to do is compare straight line speed). Later on catch him up in a small town. Out the other side and its straight, but hazardous with blind dip & junction, hence solid white line. Whats he do?????? - yup, he goes and overtakes grand-dad on the solid line...... forget that!! __ I pootle home.

close enough to 200bhp I think Stuart... but getting the best out of it depends on the driver, if he was stupid enough to overtake on a blind bend then hes not really that skilled is he?

While theres never any excuse for racing on public roads, there are times when its safer to drive fast (note I said safer, not safe) and in these conditions I think the vast majority of people would 'have a little fun' to some degree, after all the corrado is renound for its handling ability and obviously they've all got more poke than your average shopping trolly fiesta, if you didn't intend to use those features at some time or other why buy the car? I've had plenty of muppets trying it on in busy conditions but I dont bite, let them plough into the back of a lorry, i wont be involved, however if its quiet and I feel there is little risk of my ending up doing something I'll regret I do rise to the bait and I'm not ashamed to say I enjoy it.

Yep my mate's RX-8 drives like the Civic and many other sporty Japanese cars, unless you are always on the gas at around 6000rpm it isn't that quick. And when you do push it hard at 6 and above it does fly and feels just like turbo lag, which is why I caught a Impreza out some time back, as he was trying to boot it through the lag I was pulling away from him, by the time we were both hitting 120mph it was level pegging!!

The only FWD car that has really impressed me for acceleration and handling (apart from mine!!) was a Fiat Coupe, I know they were made in various guises up to a 2L V5 Turbo (220Bhp) and I would imagine this was the daddy as it pulled like a train and seemed to accelerate around a tight left corner scarily quick, obviously the limited slip diff. allows the Fiat to handle great but it was a sight to see.

Have also seen CTR's (driven well) do low 14s at the pod, and if I am not mistaken the VR is quoted as 15.2 so very little in it, it is a drivers car tho, and the gearshift is brilliant once you get the hang of it. Not bad for a n/a 4pot lawn moer. Personally I would also rather a leon 225 and would have that up to 280bhp no probs. But it is also quite possible to get the lighter ctr up to 240bhp while keeping n/a. Hondata, gruppe m, spoon exhaust and manifold.

Yeah the CTR's gearshift is excellent, the only facet of the car I liked to be honest. All manuals should have the gearstick there....it's so natural and quick to use!

I do think the technology employed in the CTR, it's mega rigid bodyshell and it's low price are comendable...but at the end of the day corners were cut in the refinement and styling areas, areas I value. And it's attracting the wrong kind of buyer because of it's keen pricing.

I'd take the £14K Clio 182 over the CTR and spend the £2K change on a G60 or valver Corrado :D

I haved driven VTEC's for 3 years before i got the C and when you get used to how the power is delivered you can make them go very very quick. But not many owners are used to it. The handling on the type r is great for a track or for very smooth roads and we all know there aren't many of those, so the stiff setup makes it skittish on rough roads. And as stormVR6 said, the fiat coupe 20v turbo is a beast, my friend has one with a small bit of tuning to 254bhp and 251lb/ft tourqe, and oh my god does it shift, just a bummer with the lag between gear changes

It certainly looked like it was shifting when I saw one GFI, but tell me is it the limited slip diff. which allows it to accelerate in and out of corners so hard or is the chassis simply the dogs testicle pouch??!!

If it wasn't for the looks (which I find an acquired taste maybe needed) I would have bought one years ago, but then I got reacquainted with a C

mmm fiat coupe 20v turbo :D nearly got one till i found out the insurance.. OUCH

oh well got a meaty g60 instead!

ctr's are like most jap cars, just acquired taste, has its good and bad points, the bad points being its styling and stigma :D

silver=faster said

craigowl, I'm not sure if i should say this but i shall!

Are you on the right forum?

I wonder about this from what was said.

I thought the forum was for anyone who owned or had an interest in the Corrado. Sorry if I am mistaken.

Craig - I think Chris meant it along the lines that the Corrado is a sports coupe (hate that label btw). And why are people objecting when a car designed to do just shy of 150mph is being driven as such.

But I see your point as well.

This is the problem with opinions. Everyone has one and tries to inflict it on others. Perhaps I am doing so with this post ... cosmic.

Appreciate that more balanced view VR6.

I think the fact that so many people started to get steam coming out of their ears when the subject of racing on the public highway came up speaks volumes about how uncomfortable they feel doing it.

They know it is foolish, selfish and that most reasonable people are against it.

Clearly, my own views are that serious racing on the public highway is unacceptable - I have personal experience and too much detail of the consequences. However, I cannot say I would have felt the same about it when I was 24 if I had owned a powerful car.

I agree that we should live and let live but I cannot condone any "fun" activity which puts another innocent person's life and limb at stake, that is grossly selfish and antisocial whatever way it is viewed.

Finally, where would we be if every time someone said something both provocative and car-related on the forum it was suggested to them that they would be better off the forum? Smacks of Germany in the 1930s.

"Forum...a medium for the open discussion of subjects of public interest.."

No problem and again I feel that I will be doing a little bit more of the same....

I do not think that Chris was saying 'get off the forum if you don't want to drive at 145mph', but I just think he was speaking about the type of car that it is, and your views about not driving the car quickly. Granted, I personally think that if you are going to own a car that could do, say 200mph, why drive it at 30mph everywhere?

But it's your car and I'm sure it appreciates not being flogged everywhere at top whack.

From my personal stand point, my car is loved (almost beyond my g/f's belief), but when I get the chance on the TT course, I like to open it up.

But we have no speed limits on a lot of the island, so where should I draw the line? I don't often race with anything because everything is pretty much single lane with little space to overtake (at least once you get above 80mph anyway...).

Hi Guys

Just thought i'd add my experience with Civic Type R's. A work mate of mine had one and he knew how to drive it to make the most of the VTEC, we used to "compare" his car with my mk2 Golf GTi 8v (with a few mods - nothing major). We did this on several occassions driving home from work on a "straight quiet dual carriagway in the middle of some countryside with no residential spots for miles around". Anyway, we'd both start in 2nd at about 30mph and with the "right conditions" go WOT.

The results which were the same each time we tried:

Absolutely level all the way to 75-80mph then the Type R would pull away as if i was standing!

Bascially a couple of things: the GTi would run out of efficient head flow due to the pre-cross flow 8v and the Type - R would come into its best range as the camshaft switches with the VTEC and above 80mph is where this thing really shows its strength.

SO, Type-R, great car which could give a lot of performance cars trouble above 80mph.

A well sorted G60 should be able to pull away from the civic below 80mph and maintain above.

at 30 miles an hour i'd be in 1st gear not second, got about 10mph before the cam changes. you have to be in the right gear with vtecs or you bog down, much like a turbo.

tell me is it the limited slip diff. which allows it to accelerate in and out of corners so hard or is the chassis simply the dogs testicle pouch??!!

I didn't know they had an LSD but yep, that would be the reason....although it depends what the LSD type is. If it's a torsen diff (torque sensing, torsen for short) then it shunts 80% of the available power to the wheel with the most grip, i.e. the outer one, when the inside wheel spins.

If it's a plate type diff....then, possibly but they're normally used on rear drive cars and they're not very refined or seemless!

I'd never heard of them having LSDs..

I'm just explaining to the woman in the office who drives a CTR what a LSD *is* ...

Nah, I actually know women that understand that. Can't say of many that know about LSD (with relation to cars).

true, thinking about it now, I would say that maybe 50% of joe public blokes don't know what a lsd is (apart from the drug!)

AFAIK the Fiat Coupe was based on the Tipo platform, so a LSD would sound like a logical start! Sounds crazy for such a great handling car but I'm sure I'm right.

VR6, Because you are so diplomatic and friendly I feel that i can't respond the way i feel like i want to, suffice to say Craig's response made me chuckle, i mean, Nazis LOL

Pathetic. Buy a Rover.

I wasn't arguing with you Craigowl but putting a point over toward people in general that have certain contradictory views though you seemed to want to take it for more than it was, hence me chuckling, and as you say, it is an open forum and that's for me aswell as for you, views are views and without different ones it wouldn't be much of a forum.

This is the best forum that i use or have used for the above reasons.

Good luck

Chris

VR6 Tractor with NOS Silver = Fast Chris VR6 NOS or what ever you are these days, say what you want bud. You're a level headed chap and nothing you've said has ever caused offence imo. Differences of opinion is a hurdle of any forum membership and the mature people deal with it as appropriate. Agreed, this community is a bl00dy good one overall....not seen one as relaxed in years...and I'm a member of quite a few.

StormVR6, you'd be surprised what you can achieve without an LSD with some well chosen geometry settings, but they're a rarity in FWD cars. I'd be surprised if the FIAT does have one but I'm open to be proven wrong :-P

At the end of the day, it's a 5 cylinder turbo...so one would expect it to be ballistic! Still, it's a FIAT so the Magnetti Marelli electrics may or may not work and the general fit and finish isn't terribly great.....although it's not made by FIAT, so should be better than a Tipo....LOL!