Sign in to follow this  
StormVR6

MAF broken....so am I

Choosing to clean any easily accessible parts that could be causing my performance drop I started on the MAF sensor, after cleaning I decided it would be a good idea to gently dry the wire with some kitchen roll only to realise I had snapped off part of the wire!

Plugging in VAG-COM reported a MAF fault (open or short B+ intermittent).What a joke, I didn't know the wire was the most brittle material known to man!

I have seen a MAF sensor on ebay very cheap (P/N 021 906 461) but mine is 462, will it work? If not apart from the slight pull here and there can I put up with this until I decide which bank to rob or will something more serious develop?

And I apologise the the M reg C I spotted on the A3 south bound, if I came across unfriendly now you know why, sorry.

I am trying to just laugh it off as a foolish act but I can't therefore I'm now going to have a large Jack Daniels and hope the MAF was the problem anyway!

Cheers for any input

MB

462's are ultra rare on EBAY. Only ever seen one at a trader's stall at a show (for £50). Dealer item at mega bucks. A lot of the EBAY items are diesels, so beaware.

The engine will run on the throttle body position sensor but fuelling will be a little out until you fix it.

My MAF went up the creek about 6 months back, i got one on ebay for about $20 (£12), and it worked a treat. i should think all VR6 MAF's would work, any VR6 corrado, or MKIII GTi

Well those are my thoughts too, the one on ebay is being sold as a VW VR6 MAF but the seller has also said "It will fit certain models of VW Corrado VR6 '91-'96". Surely all models, unless there were differences between them?

The one on ebay is selling at £69, but this is a bargain as the stealers want about £350+VAT !!

I might risk it, buy it and see what happens

Cheers people

MB

Vw Corrado, 2.9VR6, 91-96

Vw Golf , 2.8VR6, 92-97

Vw Passat, 2.8VR6, 91-97

Vw Vento, 2.8VR6, 92-98

Which is the odd one out??

2.9 C is a different ECU. The others have a common parent ECU part number. Check a bosch part equivalent list, sorree no address but google should find one. The sensor element could be the same but the casing will be designed for the 2.9 rather than 2.8 ltr engine. Not the fit in the duct but the airflow rate hence why the VW part number is different.

Does any one know if the actual sensor bosch part number is the same? I've been curious for a while.

Noticed that your in Surrey......I have a spare MAF that you could borrow while your sourcing a replacement.

I don't know the part number off the top of my head (I'm at work) but it's the later type MAF.

Let me know if your interested.

Dan

I believe the Corrado VR6s also have different MAF connectors, depending on whether you have a coilpack or distributor engine.

On the subject of whether the parts are *really* different inside, I have my doubts. There was a loooong discussion over on the vortex groups where someone dismantled two MAFs (one a C VR6 MAF and the other from a 2.0 Golf 2002) and found that although the tube and part numbers were different, the actual Bosch sensor board assembly inside was identical, and worked fine when fitted to the C VR6 assembly.

As I understand it the ECU will calibrate for slight variances in MAF tolerance anyway, over time (against what though I don't really know), so ..

That said, YMMV.

Dan_Storm thank you very much for your generous offer but apart from the slight flutter during idle its not too bad. I think I'm going to buy the one on ebay which VW say is around the same money as the 462 (£300+VAT) but it is for the older VR6 (older chassis No) But they also say that the Golf VR6 2.8 also uses the same MAF as the C (462). So going on that I reckon they are all the same! Only the multiplug may be different?

Unfortunately VW have stopped selling recon's as of this year which were £70. Just my luck!

Thanks again Dan

MB

There are 3 possibles, 461, 461A and 462.

You must get the right one. 462 won't work on a 461 loom, one is 5 pin and the other is 4.

Cheers Kev, so am I right in thinking that as long as the multiplug is the same then the sensor will work?

Thanks mate

MB

P.S. I have just checked my plug and it is a 4 pin connection

Indeedy....

Apparently there is a way of using different MAFs by modding something or other but I've never bothered investigating it.

On the subject of whether the parts are *really* different inside, I have my doubts. .......

As I understand it the ECU will calibrate for slight variances in MAF tolerance anyway, over time (against what though I don't really know), so ..

That said, YMMV.

Cheers dr_mat.

The calibration will be compensated through the lambda probe readings altering the 3 fixed point settings ("adapted values")and the active probe reading in "measuring blocks" display group 6.

The engine will run on the throttle body position sensor but fuelling will be a little out until you fix it.

I find the pull at 4000rpm is weak and the engine quite coarse at high revs when the MAF isn't working....

Yes from 4000rpm onwards does seem to suffer and when coming to a stop the idle will sit at 1100rpm and then slowly make its way down to the usual 680rpm, also it does tend to pull sometimes and hard accelerating gear changes aren't very smooth as if the engine is cutting out for a split second.

Have a think about what's actually happening when you're running in Alpha-N mode. When you understand that, you'll know why your car acts as it does.

I do have limited knowledge of alpha-N mode and know how this affects performance but the performance drops were outside of this possible factor.

Anyway the problem was the MAF, new one in problem solved

Cheers all

MB

I have a question about the different types of MAF sensor in the Corrado VR6.

Fisrtly, I have a '94 VR with a coil pack.

I have just spoken to VW and they have told me the following:

My car, based on chassis number, was manufactured on 31st March '94.

It requires a MAF sensor with part number 021 906 461. This is because the last 4 digits of my chassis number are before 0015, which is when they changed to the newer?/different? MAF apparently?

However, after reading through the following post:

http://the-corrado.net/.archive/forum/viewtopic. ... hlight=maf

...I would have thought I would need a MAF with part number 021 906 462 or 021 906 462A, as I asume that 461 is the first incarnation and 462 the second etc, and as a '94 VR with coil pack is the last incarnation of the VR in a Corrado presumed I would need the last incarnation of the MAF to match????

It is possible to swap the insides from a 461 to a 462 and vice-versa so guess I can't go wrong if I buy the cheaper 462?? (GSF sell the 462A's for 70 quid, where my local VW want 335 Euro plus vat for a 461!!)

Also, is it true that an 'A' after an official VW part number means it's official but recon.??

Dutch,

'94 VR

Coilpack Corrados got both the 461 and the 462 and some got a 461a.

You can't swap 461 and 462 innards.

A denotes how many times a part has been modified (461a, 461b, 461c and so on)

X denotes eXchange/refurbished with most VW parts, but not the MAFs :roll:

...can't find the sticker without removing ecu, which I won't do as couldn't figure how too quickly!

I presume it has AG as it's final code as I don't have a factory fitted imob.?

Anyway, it's probable that VW were correct in telling me to go for the 461 maf then judging from the previous posts from yourselfs?

Is this maf used in any other vw model or will I have to stump up the 335 euro plus vat Corrado price??

Dutch VR6, Vag-COM will show you the ECU part number.

Yes a "461" is for the "AG" ECU and I'd expect your C to be an AG unit. The change is at the end of the 1993 - 1994 production run in July 1994, ie. as you say upto chassis 50RK015000 (Production actually finished at about 50RK007000).

The last year of production chassis 50SK000001 onwards are the "462" for a "CP" ECU.

I seem to remember the early one "461" is a hot wire MAF design, the later "462" is a hot film type.