Sign in to follow this  
StormVR6

How to reduce BHP loss from flywheel to wheels...you tell me

OK everyone here is loosing huge amounts of power by the time it gets to the road, I myself am loosing 43 Bhp (so says Miss Dy Noplot) so apart from spending silly money on carbon graphite gearboxes etc is there any way to regain some of this power?

And please, no quantum physics babble just plain "Yes, and this is how" or "No, and don't be stupid"

Cheers people

MB

You can make minor improvements by lightening some components such as wheels and brakes, and even more marginal power improvements by lightening things like the flywheel and clutch, and even more minor improvements by e.g. choosing low rolling-resistance tyres. But it's all peanuts in the power game.

The biggest impact will come from running smaller wheels (almost without doubt they will be lighter). Standard VR wheels are pretty hard to beat compared to 16s and 17s...

have heard that putting redline mt-90 synthetic gear oil helps a little, no idea how much though

Forget about the power you're losing through the transmission. 30% of the energy from the fuel goes out the exhaust pipe, do something about that, fit a turbo.

The 17" Ronals i've put on mine really made it feel sluggish. And i dont mean ummm feels slightly off, it really did knock it back. I took them off and weighed them and they are just over twice the weight of the speedlines, and i'm not exagerating.

Rolling radious is slightly higher, but i think thats marginal, the weights killed it and I dont even consider that at all.

Im really not sure the price ive paid warrants the look. Looking at a comprimise now with some light dished 16s if i can find anything i like or can afford!

i had massive losses through transmission at dubsport RR last year,

157.4hp corrected @134 mph/6507 1/min

power losses 85 hp @ the same

torque 135 @ 5424 1/min

so: wheel power 75.8hp @134mph/6507 1/min

the slowest corrado ever??????

i want a turbo!!!

8(

I don't believe you're losing 85bhp through the transmission unless your brakes are binding...

A VR loses between 30-40 bhp..

And yes, the best way to fix the inefficiencies of cars is to come up with an internal combustion engine that's more than the current pathetic 40% efficient. The vast majority of the fuel's chemical energy is used up as heat... Imagine 1.4 litre petrol cars generating 180 bhp and doing 60 mpg?

dr_mat,

thank mate i dont believe iit either ( but i dont believe the 157hp either) lok at my sig.,

car is slow though!

Forget about the power you're losing through the transmission. 30% of the energy from the fuel goes out the exhaust pipe, do something about that, fit a turbo.

LOL yes I would love to mate, but if I did have the cash available I'd be wondering how long the engine would last, because I would always be wanting to floor it!! Seriously though you must be looking at £6000-8000 for a 350Bhp Turbo kit and engine upgrade?

Like I say if I had the money...

Flusted how long have you owned your C as I spotted a white one nearly 2 years ago, parked outside a works place when I was on the main drag out of Sandown going to Amazon World

May not be you mate but you don't see many white C's, especially on the Isle of Wight!

Mine was 162bhp at fly 115 at wheels,thats with 17s and lightened fly

Thats interesting, mine was about 118bhp at the wheels, 162bhp at the flywheel with 17" wheels and a lightened flywheel.

Run lighter wheels, underdrive pulleys also...

62.10.71.jpg

Crank, alternator and power steering pulleys. They are lighter than the factory ones.

There honetly isn't too much more you can do...the only real way to get around it is to add power. :lol:

Job done, a nice set of carbon graphite bicycle wheels wrapped up with some Dunlop 045/15/20 tyres. Perfect :lol:

Flusted how long have you owned your C as I spotted a white one nearly 2 years ago, parked outside a works place when I was on the main drag out of Sandown going to Amazon World

May not be you mate but you don't see many white C's, especially on the Isle of Wight!

Had it approx year and a half! There is 2 white cs on the island,mine and 1 other which ive only ever seen once and its standard!

It could of been me!!!!!!!!!!!

It's worth bearing in mind that when you take your car on a rolling road, you're measuring wheel torque and nothing else.

All of the other numbers that you see on your plot are calculated from that figure using assumptions, guesses and a little pinch of black magic. If you want to get less loss through your drivetrain on a rolling road, ask the guy running it to type in a smaller number because it's all fabricated anyway.

I don't even think rolling roads take into account the type age or wear of your tyres either (I've never heard of anybody entering this information into a dyno) so again, you could be 'losing' 20bhp because your tyres are slipping ever so slightly on the rollers, or that the sidewalls are flexing...

But as people say, it's worth changing your gearbox fluid. I doubt it'll give you any extra power, but it'll make the change smoother and prolong the life of the 'box.

Actually the dynos are exactly that - dynamometers. They directly measure wheel power (against an electromagnetic brake) - this is the meaning of brake horse power. Wheel torque is calculated based on the rate of increase of rotational speed, divided by the inertia of the rollers.

Of course, no system is perfect, but the only thing you can ever rely upon is the at-the-wheels power figure. The rest is smoke and mirrors.

so apart from spending silly money on carbon graphite gearboxes etc is there any way to regain some of this power?

MB

Lower the Final Drive and make the gearbox do a bit more work for you, as it's sapping power :wink:

The gearbox is overlooked as a mod. Lower gearing and a quaife allow you get the absolute most out of the car's available grip and power - more of the time.

Then if you need more power, slap a charger on and enjoy a chunky ~ 270bhp......with brutal acceleration and RS focus levels of grip (without the torque steer tho).