Sign in to follow this  
Skimask

Vectra in safety mode??

Any kind chappies or chappettes know about Vauxhall Vectra's. My mate just acquired one, Diesel ecotek - but the engine management goes into 'safety mode' he can only get about 10m.p.h. out of it???

I do know that the Vectra's have an intermittent fault with the electronic throttle control which makes the car drive like a tortoise, apart from that sorry can't help.

I had a Vectra and that dropped into 'safety mode' occasionally and when they do they don't rev over 4k if I remember correctly. Don't know about the 10mph thing tho.

Put some oil in it!!!!!

The most common reason for them going into safety mode is that it is very low on oil. Vectra Diesels use approx 1 litre of oil every 1000 miles.

Check the oil and top it up. If that doesnt cure it it may have done more serious damage and the dealers or AA/RAC can plug into the computer system in the car and will tell them the fault!

Yep, good call Sam...

Is this an ex-fleet car?? reason I ask is that when the oil is changed on these they usually suck it out the sump from the dipstick tube, this hapenned on one of our work Astra estates and altho it had oil it had blocked the oil pickup i think due to these dodgy oil changes and needed to go to the dealer to be flushed.

Is it a turbo diesel? I had an Astra turbo diesel as a works car, that kept blowing the top hose off the intercooler(tightening it to me own torque settings rather than Vauxhalls preferred figures cured it permenantly) and dropping into safety mode, ran like a pig in that condition. Again I don't know about the 10mph bit.

what year vectra is it? and exact engine size? cos the 2.2dti vectra have problem with ECU thinking the turbo needing replacing, the fix is a ECU update which increases the turbo tolerance range...

Cheers Guys! I've already advised him to check the oil , it affects the EGR valve, and causes the safety mode to kick in.

Thanks for the other comments, I'll pass them on. As far as I know its a 2.0 Turbo diesel ecotek engine.

Thanks for the pointers, gives an idea where to look for the fault!