Sign in to follow this  
carpetpaul

Can you price this car .......

Hoping you can help, I've spotted a Corrado thats in nice condition and am considering buying it. I should point out that whilst I've got nothing against VW's I'm no expert or enthusiast in particular. I like the shape and am aware that it's a solid well made car. I'm hoping it will hold it's value due to it's condition, I need a bit of advice to learn if his price is realistic.

Here are the details that I know. It's a 2.0L 16V on a J Reg (I'm not sure of the exact year yet. It's a nice shade of dark blue, got a great shine and no rust that I could spot, couple of slight blemishes, otherwise perfect outside. It's got rather nice 17" rims and has been properly lowered. It's very tidy on the inside, no leather (I know a mate if mine had leather in his tho) but very clean seats. 12 disc Cd autochanger and nice speakers. About 120,000 miles, plenty service history, looks a nice example for it's age, it's a private sale.

--- So what would you think someone would price this car at, bearing in mind that they know they've got a reasonably mint example ?

---please post.........

Cheers - Paul

Hi Paul - welcome to the forum.

J reg will be one of the very first 2.0-16v's in the country. I always thought that K reg was the earliest ??

If it is what it looks to be & in top condition - I wouldn't go any higher than 2k. Be sure to get the car HPI checked before you buy it - there's a few dodgy cars around.

oops, it's quite a bit more than £2k

...but I still thought it looked a nice car for the money

....but then what do I know (not a lot seemingly)

others, please post, I only got a couple of days to get a bearing on this price. Ta -- Paul

i would agree with stevemac, ....it doesnt sound like its worth over 2k....valver prices have been fairly low recently....seems to be a buyers market.

Yeah, I'd agree - valver prices do seem to be on the decline compared with nice G60s and VRs...

Bear in mind also that "solid" and "well-made" are not usually terms used when referring to Corrados as they were never actually assembled by VW themselves, but Karmann (who designed them)! If you're not an enthusiast before you buy one, chances are you'll become one soon enough!

Not that this should put you off, just warning you that they're not always the most maintenance-free car... ;)

Oh, and welcome to the forum by the way!

Hello, welcome to the forum!

I wouldn’t tell your self that because it has no rust its mint. In my opinion VW's (including the corrado) don’t rust like Vauxhalls or fords, etc. I think VW’s came with a very long body work warranty when bought new. The things that show on a corrado’s body work are stone chips and nasty little dings.

To gauge the price of corrados have a look in the for sale section on this forum for similar cars for sale. Remember that valvers don’t fetch as much money as G60’s or VR6’s. Choose which model you want carefully because once smitten with the corrado you’ll probably want a VR6 or G60. ;-)

As said above valver prices are lower than anything else but you will find the 2.0 does fetch more than the 1.8 and is the better engine to have of the two... have a read though the buyers guide (you'll find it in general car chat)

You'll also find that it may have an ealry interior as this would have been brough j/k plate 2.0 valvers would have been caught up in the change over preriod btween the early and late body models... due to it being a J plate 16V I'd check the originality of the engine as I thought that the first 2.0's were out on K plate too

and lastly if it helps at all you may be interesyted to know that I paid over £3K for my valver nearly 2 years ago...

hope that helps

P

The first 2.016v's were J-plates (like my first one). Should have the late interior, ABS and no rear arm rest if it's the 2.0- otherwise it'll be a 1.816v.

As the others have said valvers are going very cheap at the mo'. Not worth much over £2k. Prob need a head rebuild too at that mileage.

I guess there must have been a bit of a cross-over. Think there's one or two early VR's with early interiors too :?

:shaking:

I'd pay less than £2k. Put it this way, I paid under 3k for a 94' plate with 80k miles; mint paint too. Dont rush it - theres loads out there. Yes it will hold its value. Just seen a tidy Red 16v for for near 2k with lower milage still on ebay.

regarding the mileage and possible head rebuild, I was hoping to nip the car down the road to the mot station to get them to have a quick look, surely if the engine is worn it'll show up on the emmisions test ?

You can see that I'm trying to talk myself into this car, but to be honest it just caught my eye and regardless of the fact that it's a high price, it still looks a nice car for the price. I've looked at other stuff at similar prices and it still looks better. I know that stuff is worth what people will pay for it.

I remember paying £2,700 for an RS Turbo many years ago, my mates said I was mad cause the car was about 9 years old, I never lost a penny when I sold it, and it had no mot.

I know that you can't take mods into account with second hand stuff but it does look well cared for and it's got the 17" rims that I would have shelled out money for anyway, it's not really a saving, just something I don't have to buy in the future.

I've got to go back for another look yet, but providing it goes through the mot easy enough it's a likely purchase for me

I'll keep you posted

Thanks for the help !

how come carpetpauls post count isnt going up???...why cant mine be like that?

patience is a virtue mate...if you'te sure you want to buy the first one you see regardless of the fact that its over priced then the decision is yours!...i would try and haggle though!>...

i only paid £1000 for my 92' 2ltr 16v about 3 n a bit months ago, she's not 'mint' by anyones standards but theres nothing major and when i see n hear about other peoples C's she's definately not that bad. most of the things needing sorted are things that happen to most C's anyway.......