Sign in to follow this  
jhanlon

VR6s with engine replacements

I'm currently looking at some C VR6s and I'm worried about the number which have had complete new engine/ rebuilds. This seems to be about the mostly costly replacement there is, normally running into several thousand pounds :shock: , as opposed to just one part which might be a few hundred. Thought about getting a warranty but there is a maximum claim for such an old car which is usually about a grand i think.

Is it worth getting a car of this age with a newer engine? I guess the first thing I'd need to know is whether it is new or reconditioned. Has anyone had good or bad luck with such a purchase? Such a car has probably been thrashed so are there other bits which might be on the way out :?:

My last VR (which I've just sold) had a replacement engine from a low mileage VR. Was absolutely fine- had no engine related problems while I had it. Always started first time, pulled really well etc etc. Just make sure it was someone reputable who put the new engine in.

You're the nervous type, jhanlon?

Are you sure you're up to the responsibility of owning a sports car... ;)

Ask on the RX7 fan boards how many unthrashed RX7s have rebuilt engines. Ask about BMWs with cracked heads or nickasil problems, ask about TVR engine rebuild rates, ask about Lotus engine rebuild rates.

This is not a Nissan Micra. After 100k delivering 200bhp an engine becomes tired. You'll never break a tonka toy, but the material strength doesn't scale up as the size does, so in just the same way, a cylinder block for a VR6 uses the same strength metal as that in a 45 bhp Nissan Micra.

I think you're worrying too much. The Corrado VR6 is a car you buy with your balls (I was going to say heart, but I don't think that's right), not your head.. :)

Buy one, enjoy it. If it breaks, fix it. Que sera.

Ask on the RX7 fan boards how many unthrashed RX7s have rebuilt engines. Ask about BMWs with cracked heads or nickasil problems, ask about TVR engine rebuild rates, ask about Lotus engine rebuild rates.

Mums bmw had a free bottom end replacement after 116k after I kicked up a fuss about the nikasil, and all the horror stories I hear of RS engine re-builds (tuned to buggery tho). VR6's are pretty good engines, but all engines wear eventually, its just the price you have to pay for squezing 2.9 litres into a C, as its those packaging compromises that mean it won't do 250k as easily as some other engines.

That is true - BMW's warranty service is top notch. A mate had a 50k mile 318 E36 that lost third gear. They don't just replace the part, they send the old one back to the techies at the factory to be dismantled so they can work out why it failed!

I think the VR's are very strong engines! Dr Matt sums up well for other brands. I had a bm 325i sport and the head cracked at 90k with FBSH. Had a 540i, bore wear. I had a golf vr6 from 70 to 137k and it took plenty of stick and i know its still going strong now at over 170k. My corrado is bang on at 120k. Other halfs vento vr sounds and goes like a new car on 105k, and my garage have only done 1 head on a vr in 10 yrs, and that was because the lady ran it with no water in!

All cars go wrong. But having said that, if you buy one you wont be disapointed. They are so punchy and sound fantastic, handle great, look understated, just do it. It will far outway any problems you have in the long run. Unlike TVRs where the huge grin factor still cant make up for the days its off the road.

You can never justify a purchase like a raddo VR, especially when you have a 1 yr old monster and a big mortgage like me, so just do it and join the clan!

ok point taken... I can justify the extra running costs yeah, but wouldn't want a bill that's more than the car's value. The reason a lot of these get scrapped (as far as i can tell) is cos' people don't have the funds for a big repair job like a new engine. It's easy to say fix it, but with what...? I won't let it put me off buying though, just want to make the right choice and i'm totally new to all this.

or maybe I am too nervous. Maybe i'll just get that 45bhp micra. :lol:

Who would want a massive bill?

But look at it another way and think that a new Focus RS will cost you £7k in depreciation over three years..

£7k will rebuild your VR6, replace all the suspension, buy a couple of sets of tyres and have money left over for a schrick, remap and even some small change towards a supercharger.. ;)

well, of the c's around my area, chrisvr6nos has 170k, chrishill 120k i think and i have 2 with 155k and 135k and they all pull like trains still, so i definately view the vr engine as above average for longevity

and my garage have only done 1 head on a vr in 10 yrs, and that was because the lady ran it with no water in!

Nail on the head Nick....

Neglect and abuse accounts for at least 80% of premature engine failures.

The VR is a very compact engine and as such the cooling system must be kept in A1 working order at all times. Run it low on coolant or allow it to repetetively overheat and it'll bust a head gasket and possibly scratch one or more bores if you're unlucky.

The block and head from my VR has gone to be transplanted into a blown C, but the only reason the thing went is because the timing chains snapped.

Now you get a lot of warning before they go and it's really something that should be checked from time-to-time, so again just a case of neglect.

Look after it though and it'll see over 200k like Andi's has...

Buying a car with an engine replacement can be a good thing, so long as everything else checks out.

Just see where any replacement was sourced from, and what length of warranty the engine came with. If 12 months it's probably very good, less than 12 and you should be a bit more cautious. For rebuilds you can probably ask here about how reputable the rebuilder actually is.

My own C had an new replacement engine fitted; it was supplied by these guys with a 12 month warranty, just before I bought it : http://www.vege.nl

It's been totally reliable and performs to VW specs as Stealth's rollers have confirmed.

No idea what the previous owner did to the original VR6, as the rest of the car was in fine condition. A telltale gap in the service history pointed to the fact that he was probably a muppet though...

VWSH is overrated, but service history from somewhere is important!