Sign in to follow this  
kasman21

can you swop the older heater controls to the later design

Is it possible to change the early heater controls to the later design that look allot better, also does anyone have any other mods or ideas on how to bring the interior more up to date.

oh yeah another question, has anyone seen a ferrari like gear surround in chrome or polished alloy??u know what I mean, a gaiter made of metal with the gears cut out, bit hard to explain!!!

cheers all!!

Zak

I would have thought the ferarri style gaiter would be next to impossible in a C given the fact that it would have to allow for the gearstick being at all angles, even with a short shift the throw is still alot further than a ferarri's, might work if the gaiter was domed slightly, but i think that'd look odd!

I've recently changed my whole dash from the early to late spec... however I haven't wired up my heater contols yet :roll: Its not hard though (I think)... Basically there are 3 cables that control the various functions, and on the old heater controls these are fastened using a 'hook' on the end of each cable, whereas on the new heater controls they're 'looped' to hold them in place... There's also some wiring to be done to make the actual fan work as the connectors are different.

I'll write a guide when I actually do it... at the moment I don't really know what I'm talking about.

From what I've always heard, the later dash is plasticky and keeps breaking and although the early dash looks a little dated, you just don't seem to find mk 2 golfs with bust heater controls..

From what I've always heard, the later dash is plasticky and keeps breaking and although the early dash looks a little dated, you just don't seem to find mk 2 golfs with bust heater controls..

MK3s have the 'late' controls but they don't break....

They usually break on the corrado because the screen vent cable siezes, which tends to jam the whole lot up when people force the dial round.

The screen vent cable seizes because A, it's a bit short - the replacement is longer, and B, dumb arse alarm fitters cable tying things to it, or it to other things....

Ever since I've fixed these issues on mine, the dials have been perfect....about a year now.

Mine weren't broken either, just a missing clip (though they were replaced by one of the previous owners).

Works fine now, and since I know to be careful they should continue to work fine ...