Sign in to follow this  
NickVR6

2 Different Wishbones !!

We can greath easy then, VW just up to no good again. Mines been checked double checked and is as straight as a p-stars chopper.

Any news on my part no's though, as those quoted to fit mine ar'nt the same as either!

whether this relates i dunno , maybe ...

someone asked why one wheel sticks out further on their mk1 golf clipper

reply was .....

"VW offset the axle mountings slightly this way to balance the corner weights of the car to counteract the engine being to one side (heavy) and the transmission to the other (lighter). "

I agree with this, same on my mk1.

just out of interest, has any of the cars with wheels that stick out different amounts had new wishbones or balljoints fitted? The VAG standard wishbone/balljoints are riveted together... aftermarket ones use nuts and bolts which can allow the ball joint to move upto around 4 or 5mm within the slots in the wishbones... Could it be that someone just hasn't lined up a new ball joint properly? (especially on a MKI as that WON'T be running it's original balljoints or wishbones by now! :lol: )

just out of interest, has any of the cars with wheels that stick out different amounts had new wishbones or balljoints fitted? The VAG standard wishbone/balljoints are riveted together... aftermarket ones use nuts and bolts which can allow the ball joint to move upto around 4 or 5mm within the slots in the wishbones... Could it be that someone just hasn't lined up a new ball joint properly? (especially on a MKI as that WON'T be running it's original balljoints or wishbones by now! :lol: )

Is that VR6's you're referring to? My 16v very definitely has bolted adjustable ball joints in the wishbones and these were the original factory wishbones.

David.

nope, AFAIK all Corrados had riveted ball joints from the factory. If they were replaced, nuts and bolts were used instead.

Second this as the date stamped one (oiriginal 94) is revietted, new one (the one thats wider) is bolts. Happy now is im 99% sure the car i straight now, so i will sort it all when i find the money to drop it!

As I understood it, all but VR6s had rivetted bottom BJs from the factory... VR6s (and all "+" suspensioned cars) use bolts cos they have a full geometry setup in the factory. Or something ...

It is quite possible that someone has fecked up installing a new BJ though.

Or maybe it's just very late VRs?

Who knows.

I know my original BJs were bolted, not riveted when they were changed about a year back.

The BJs on my mates' 33K old storm are bolts and nuts and they're the originals....

Think it's horsesh1t myself....

The BJs on my mates' 33K old storm are bolts and nuts and they're the originals....

Think it's horsesh1t myself....

As I said, my 16v Original Factory wishbones were fitted with adjustable ball joints. I can't believe these were both replaced in 1995 before I bought the car.

David.

My bottom ball joints on my '89 valver were both nut and bolt jobs - I know they were the originals as I have every receipt for the car.

Got a whole new wishbone assembly both sides as it was easier than fitting new bushes.

Looking at ETKA in 89 they used nuts and bolts and in 95 they used nuts and bolts so where did these riveted ones come from?

Well, intrigued enough to go out to the car park and look. I know my valver has n&b cos I've replaced them. But now I see the VR has n&b as well; I thought they were original but can't actually confirm that. Another little bit of Corrado curiosity.

Checked mine and there is 1mm difference between arch to tyre clearance between L & R and both BJs are nut and bolt...

1mm difference ????

That an optical equipment measure Kev or the good old Mk1 eyeball and ruler?

I would suggest that with 1mm kev it could well be the wings that are different! That has to be well within tolerances for body panels.