Sign in to follow this  
billinjah

tightening rack

I understand you tie your hands to one end, and your feet to the other end and you have Igor turn the big wooden levers..

There is an adjuster bolt on the pinion housing on some racks. But I don't think it's useful for anything other than holding the pinion tighter against the rack. Worn/missing teeth can't be fixed..

Why do you want to do it?

Why do you want to do it?

well something in my steering clicks i thought it was the bottom uj but since ive had my head down there recently im not so sure. wondered if it was the rack needing adjusting?

Can you feel play in the column? If you drop the panel out from above the pedals (five screws iirc) you should be able to grab hold of the top UJ and then feel if there's any play between that and the steering wheel.

Can you feel play in the column?

no it just clicks i thought maybe if the rack and pinion werent meeting correctly this can cuase clicking?

If the rack and pinion weren't meeting correctly the car would be all over the road.....

There is no pinion preload adjuster on the A2/A3 platform cars.... only the MK1 had that and it wasn't advisable using it either, not unless you wanted the car to bias to the left or right permanently!

Check that the tiniest movement of the steering wheel is reflected by the road wheel....if there's a delay in the road wheel reacting, your rack is worn or your tie rods are....

billinjahg60, sounds more like a bearing or UJ to me than the rack... :| If it was the rack, you'd just get float in the steering (free play on the steering wheel before the wheels actually do anything - drive a Landrover and you'll see what I mean! ;) :lol: )