Sign in to follow this  
MikeVR6

What is it with Sunroofs!?

The subframe is anodised/powder coated with a special anti-friction coating, so they probably specify a lubricant for it.....but white grease or PTFE greases are fine...

What also happens - as he reminds himself - is this coating wears off and the plastic feet under the cable blocks and water plate guides 'bind' giving the motor some serious grief....hence the click click action.

I'd say take the rockers off (you'll see them if you pop the liner off when the roof is tilted) and see if the roof slides then...it usually does...

Ok, I've got a sunroof from another Corrado to fit to mine.

Same age and motor type. Definitely tilts and slides ok. (I removed it from the donor car and tested it beforehand)

How do I actually get a the internals of the sunroof mechanism?

I need to change over the roof panels as a blue sunroof or a red car would look kind of odd! :)

Looking forward to this job on mine already :|

Haven't had a close look yet but the motors whir away without much movement at all...

MikeVR6, why not just replace the whole lot with the new one you have , if you remove the liner from the panel , you'll see it just bolts in place

i was going to do this with bannanamans sunroof but he's gone awol at the mo

Glad someone technical has replied as this thread was in danger of going off topic with all this talk of indian red bonnets and what-not! Smile

Apologies... :oops:

Mine is a case of Failure #2 on the Kev chart... Am planning to replace the entire assembly rather than repair it, so will post how hard it is once I've done it!

Mine tilt's but doesnt slide back when opperated with the motor but if you use the handle and wind it back manually it goes back fine,why is this?

I've also tried another motor that is okay and it still wont slide back any ideas?

Ok, swapped the sunroof over from my mate's old 16v last night.

Tested the roof before removing from his car. Tilted and slid fine.

Removed the roof from both cars, swapped the metal panel over and fitted the good roof to my motor.

Tilt's perfectly (old roof only tilted on one side) however, it will not slide back.

What have I done wrong?

Speedy response appreciated as it's going to p1ss down this evening so I can only work on it this afternoon.

If the roof won't slide with the motor, just use the handle!!

I do, I've tried 3 subframes in mine and none of them slide, I can't be arsed with it anymore so I use it manually. It ain't pretty but it works, which is all I care about.

When you wind the roof back manually (after you've slid the hole cover over - later cars), you will feel how stiff the system is and that's what the motor has to over come. It's just a toilet design and too sensitive to slight discrepencies in the subframe components.

Try taking the chrome rocker arms off and see if it will slide then. If it does, play about with the roof alignment until it does slide because that's what it is. The roof's position effects the pressure exerted on the rockers, too much and it won't slide....which is why 9 times out of 10, if you take the rockers off it will slide.....

There's no definitive answer, you just need to f'ck about with it till it works....or use the manual handle :)

As a rough guideline, set the roof's leading edge to be 0.5mm lower than the roof line and trailing edge to be 1mm lower. That's a good starting point.

When I get time I will look into retro fitting a MK1 Audi 90 tilt/slide roof as it was Golf MK2 based and they never went wrong....same panel size as the C/MK2 aswell.

Damn things! :evil:

Unfortunately this 16v is a '92 with the older interior and sunroof mechanism.

Thus, there is no manual operation :(

I'll have a fiddle with the alignment later, weather permitting.

In the meantime, I found this guide on the Net.

Kev,what do the cable blocks look like?Have you got any picture's? I've just got a complete mechanism out of a 1993 seat toledo and i'm just lubricating the mechanism before i fit it into my C,Hopefully anyway.