Sign in to follow this  
Reggit

Bore wear?

Just been routing through some old posts to try and find my symptoms, and have got confused, so seeking advice.

VR6 - oiled up plug on number 6, other 5 cylinders are ok.

It uses what I think is a lot of oil, a litre every 1000-1500 miles although the handbook says this is fine.

Very occasionally there is a puff of oil smoke when hitting throttle after overrun, but not all the time and no visible smoke at anyother time when driving.

Would changing to a thicker oil help the situation (I've got to change the oil in the next couple of weeks anyway). It is currently using the VW stuff, topped up as needed.

Is this indicative of something expensive on it's way.

Car has 87,000 miles on it and been properly looked after.

maybe the valve stem seals are on their way out.

That is quite a bit of oil being consumed.

T.

VR6 - oiled up plug on number 6, other 5 cylinders are ok.

It uses what I think is a lot of oil, a litre every 1000-1500 miles although the handbook says this is fine

May be likely that you have a broken piston ring. Common VR6 and very popular with No1 & 6.

Probably for peace of mind, the best thing to do is a compression check and see if No6 is low.

I have the same on 2 & 6, with 6 being the worse by far.

Have had this for over a year now though and the situation hasn't changed/got any worse.

Compression on 6 is down to around 6-7 BAR, when it should be mid to high 12's. My oil consumption is a bit more than yours too and I have to replace plug 6 every 3-4 months when it's totally buggered. As long as you keep an eye on the oil level and the plug I wouldn't worry about it too much just yet.

I'm of the opinion that if the ring is bust, it's already scored my bore anyway so why stress and speand all that money now!? Also, my cat is over 11 years old and dieing so don't care if it gets a bit of oily smoke through it either. Probably going to be shot down for this view but it's saved me spending the money when I didn't/don't have it!

...but be prepared for something expensive though as it is heading your way, but not neccessarily soon!!

Dutch,

94 VR

3000 Euro (2000 UK) worst case scenario - going 3.0 with JE pistons if the bore has been damaged + a full head rebuild.

Without the rebore around 1500 - 2000 Euro (1000 - 1500 UK) for head rebuild and HG.

Dutch

Could be possible, depends what is lying in wait when the head is removed.

I've been led to believe that if a ring goes in the VR though it's highly likely to have scored the bore, and as I said, worst case scenario...

Dutch

Now all sensors are basically new she is running properly, or at least nothing noticable performance wise and certainly nothing bad enough to warrent taking the head of yet.

What's 30 Euro every 3 months on oil compared to min 2000 Euro to get her fixed?

Now all sensors are basically new she is running properly, or at least nothing noticable performance wise and certainly nothing bad enough to warrent taking the head of yet.

What's 30 Euro every 3 months on oil compared to min 2000 Euro to get her fixed?

Exactly the same as my reasoning, so it eats a £5 plug in Cyl 6 every 3-4months and costs me £20 in oil every 3 or so months, but that's nothing compared to a head recondition. If it's still making good power and running smoothly, why pay all that cash to fix it?

My compression is 11BAR on all cylinders though, so I believe mine is leaking through the valve stem seals rather than the piston rings. I'm just going to drive it until it breaks then buy a new engine I think, they don't seem to be particularly expensive and then I'll have a load of spares as well.

Mine does the same re applying the throttle after sustained overun, noticed it on the way to mulvern at the weekend. Also puffed once in traffic.

Only other time is when its been driven at low revs for days then blatted it puffs once at 55k, and then doesnt do it again.

I top it up half a litre every 1k driving fairly hard and less if wafted into work in traffic at low revs it uses none.

Prob right to have it presure checked, but mine uses no water and is smooth so im going to ride it out for another yr or 2 and get it done with the chains that are on 122k now !!