Sign in to follow this  
hodgkinsons

vr6 Timing chain replacement

Ah, the good old chains debate, I do like a good bit of chain action....

But all I can say really is, if you're in doubt, lift the rocker cover and look at it. No noise doesn't mean all is well. I know of 3 VR6s that were silent in the upper pad area (mine included) but the resin pad was just about part company with the steel back plate.

The ryhtmic slapping noise provided by Fair Dinkum is what you get when the steel back plate is rubbing on the chain instead of the resin pad.

No one can tell you what mileage it needs doing because nobody knows. Stealth say 100K because of the 100s of VR6s they've worked on over the years, that's a *typical* expiry date for the upper pad.

As always, use MK4 upper pads inconjunction with the matching spring/hydro tensioning bolt, in fact Stealth go down this route by default now when replacing them as the trial runs proved successful on my motor. 20K miles on the MK4 pad and I can report zero wear....

Ah Mr Wales....

Know what you remind me of? The automatic grammar and spelling checker in MS Word... only you're scanning the text for smutty innuendos :lol:

Yeah, I know :oops: I'll try and do it this weekend...

Sorry mate, couldn't resist