Sign in to follow this  
saysomestuff

Bug Jam 2005 - any takers?

Hi all,

Just confirmed with a couple of mates that BugJam is in the calendar (woohoo) and am thinking about losing my RWYB virginity.

I have a standard 130k miler - am I going to look stupid?

And to add to the thread, what times have you guys posted at the pod?

Give it a go! It's great fun and sets the pulse racing. Drop your front tyre pressures to about 15psi though :)

B prefared to get ya ass kicked by the bugs tho mate, My corrado runs high 13's and they still get me. puts you off wen you see them go up on their back wheels off the line!

There was a camper van running 14s last year and got his wheels up off the line, and some street legal bugs in the 10's :shock:

Yeah, but they're running 911 turbo engines! That's cheating!

When I went to the 'Pod you got more respect for giving it a go that being scared to. My mate did loads of runs in his std Scirocco- maximum respect!

I was in the queue behind a turbo'd bug and felt a bit intimidated. It had a rollcage and a parachute which certainly meant business!

Some of the quickest cars there (without being big power Skyline silly) were MR2's.

I will go again after the next bout of work (including a s/c rebuild) and I'm aiming for mid 15's!

Yeah definitely- Don't expect any decent times for the first few go's but you'll get a flavour of what it's like and your times will only improve. The feelings the same whether your sitting behind the wheel of a std Corrado valver or a Sumo Racing Skyline with 900 brake.

I've only ever done 2 runs at Pod. Beaten by the weather every other time ive been. Anyway, in my standard VR6 i ran a 15.2s, and a 15.9s. Second run the traction control slowed me on the start. (The only time it has ever worked :mad: ) The surface at Santa Pod is very slippery, unless you run slicks, and heat the tyres up before your run. This usually means looking like a right plum and doing burnouts..

My first run i was quite please with though, i ran against a Porsche 968 Club Sport. We were neck and neck, until the last 150 yards. He beat me by 0.2s.

I'm no expert though, but my reaction time was impressive, 0.6s!!

Yeah thats one thing that made me laugh when I was last there - the jet car drivers had the worst reaction times by a country mile! Spose it doesn't matter when ur in a 10,000,000,000 horsepower motor :lol:

I've only ever done 2 runs at Pod. Beaten by the weather every other time ive been. Anyway, in my standard VR6 i ran a 15.2s, and a 15.9s. Second run the traction control slowed me on the start. (The only time it has ever worked :mad: ) The surface at Santa Pod is very slippery, unless you run slicks, and heat the tyres up before your run. This usually means looking like a right plum and doing burnouts..

My first run i was quite please with though, i ran against a Porsche 968 Club Sport. We were neck and neck, until the last 150 yards. He beat me by 0.2s.

I'm no expert though, but my reaction time was impressive, 0.6s!!

That's a great time for a std car!

saysomestuff: I thought that jet car sucked! It made a load of noise and wasn't that quick. The motorbikes were quick! How's 7 secs standing 1/4! :shock:

saysomestuff: I thought that jet car sucked! It made a load of noise and wasn't that quick

Ah it's okay I was talking about the jet cars there in '96 - been a while since I went :oops:

They make noise that's for sure but the bikes are just incredible. So many of them are home made jobs as well! Running NOS as well mostly!

I'm gonna run mine at some time but gonna be scarey at the time with my legs like jelly and deciding when to make the nitrous come in, either at about 3700rpm where the charger makes a difference on the VR6 or lower to get the revs up til the charger kicks

Chris

:lol:

In my G60 I found it hard to keep the wheels from spinning in 1st and 2nd and 3rd and my car was only rolling roaded at 172 bhp. The G60 gears are very short and the surface is very shiny. Good luck with nitrous! I hope you've got an LSD! Can't you bung it in a high gear earlier on and hit the nitrous and hope the high gearing means there's less wheelspin?

it's not normally too bad, the charged VR is in the region of 260-270bhp and the 100bhp nitrous will shove you down the road in 3rd without spin but i like to use it in 2nd and make a little bit spin cos it throws you down the road.

No i don't have an LSD yet

Chris

i will be there tis a good show will be putting me raddo on the track and i hope to get down in the low 13s but only got 300 ish bhp at the mo i ant got the time to get it mapped in time but should be very good off the line tho

alan

Nosky, sorry mate but it aint gonna grip at the pod track with road tires, get a good burn going on before going to the line.

My charged vr wouldnt let me floor it in second with out spinning up last year, and still got a bit in third with a heavy gear change.

saysomestuff: I thought that jet car sucked! It made a load of noise and wasn't that quick. The motorbikes were quick! How's 7 secs standing 1/4!

Fireforce 1 & 2 run at that and quicker, the first time I saw a jet car run it was the yellow one, can't remember if that is 1 or 2 and it did a terminal speed of around 270mph which was enough to impress me. They have a new one, Fireforce 3 which I read about, this apparently will do 330mph terminal.

The only cars I have seen which are faster are top fuel dragsters, which are amaizing.

There are other jet cars though, which are just novelty things which don't go very quickly.

pah, jets are cheating!

Imagine the conversation:

"What are you running?"

"G60 with stage 4 charger, FMIC, red tops etc, what are you running?"

"Rolls Royce...........................Trent!"

pmsl

I cant remember the names of the ones I saw but they were the fastest vehicles of the weekend - and all those flames were coooool

it's not normally too bad, the charged VR is in the region of 260-270bhp and the 100bhp nitrous will shove you down the road in 3rd without spin but i like to use it in 2nd and make a little bit spin cos it throws you down the road.

No i don't have an LSD yet

Chris

You sound like you've had far too much LSD anyway mate ;) :lol:

Right then - who's coming to Bug Jam next weekend (edit: 22nd July)?

I haven't been for a while but am looking forward to the RWYB on the Friday and a weekend of beer/vw/breasts