Sign in to follow this  
shawshankkid

Machine polish.

Carnuba is the glossy stuff in car wax. I think the cheapo stuff does have some in, but not very much.

When you start getting onto the big-boys car wax, it has more and more Carnuba in it and thus gets more and more expensive.

The Swissol stuff that john_wintle sells (with a CF discount! ;) ) - http://the-corrado.net/.archive/forum/viewtopic.php?t=514 is very good stuff. There are different amounts of Carnuba wax in the different waxes that they produce, but TBH even the cheapest stuff they do is far better than the stuff you get in Halfords, so it's just a case of how much you want to spend on what is essentially a tub of pretty-smelling goo :lol:

Seriously tho, Swissol is good stuff...

carnuba wax is a natural wax from brazilian palm trees and give a very hard protective finish and good gloss shine.

dont make the mistake of going into a bodyshop and asking for a brazilian wax though you will end up with something else entirely :lol:

I think Swissol's most expensive wax (Divine - £1300) is something silly like 90% pure carnuba and the highest grade/quality (4 I think) of it too....in other words, the very best you can get..... but at that price, hmmm... out of reach for most.

Seems carnuba prices are set to rise due to bad weather in brazil washing all the wax off the leaves!

you can buy various grades of pure carnuba in flake form on e-bay if your any good with your junior chemistry set im sure you could knock up your own polish :lol:

coolrado: LOL :D

So stuff like AutoGlym and Meguiars have Carnuba in them aswell? How much is the Swissol stuff though? On a tight budget :(

The Swissol stuff that john_wintle sells (with a CF discount! ;) ) - http://the-corrado.net/.archive/forum/viewtopic.php?t=514

;) :roll:

Lol, I did see that... except they have a range of waxes... mostly quite expensive, why such a big range? Their cheapest is £40, I take it this is many times better than the AutoGlym stuff I use currently?

To put it into perspective.... the £6 of Autoglym bottle that I bought, was just about my budget :( :cry:

But you're a Dr :lol:

You can do alot better than Autoglym mate. The Swissol type waxes cost £££ but last alot longer plus you use physically less wax per application, so quite cost effective long term.

I use Meguiars stuff and am happy with the results. Alot better than Autoglym - last longer, not abrasive (like Super Resin is) and not dusty (which really winds me up, esp on a dark metallic).

BTW the Meguiars stuff I use is NXT.

Smells lovely too :roll:

I'm a final year student who will become a dentist in January (gotta pass my exam remember :-P), but even then, I have to start paying off the loan I took out to buy this Storm, lol...

I'll buy Meguiars NXT stuff next then

Lol, I wouldnt have put Dr in if I wasn't gonna become a Dr, lol :-P

But yeh, the only way I could afford this car at this age was cos I know I will be able to pay it off without too much difficulty.

Until I start working though, like I said, really tight budget, I'm living on my loan right now :(

Yes, I always used "wax wizard" on my C and the shine was unbelievable, always been a big fan of rubbing natural products into my ride.

Have alwys used the Meguiars Carnauba stuff as well. However, I used NXT wax the other day on the RS and it was great, easy to put on, easy to take off and the shine was deep and wet. Seemed to last aswell, lets face it, if it's good enough for Asim - it's got to be pretty spot on

just another quickie...from whats been said t-cut is a last resort but can you just t-cut the little section where the scratch is?

you dont have to do the whole car or panel? think a clay bar is my next purchase along with wax!

Or when you are getting some Megs gear, get the ScratchX as well. Lots of people use that with good results. Megs Clay bar/Paint rubber is OK, but it is very on the soft side and goes even softer once your hands warm it up, let alone if you use it on one of our lovely scorchio hot summers days (larf!)

I'm a final year student who will become a dentist in

Funny that, the first owner of my car was a dentist 8) Can I come and see you for a tooth whitening service when you start practising? :lol:

Swissol..... if you value your paint, use that, if you can afford it. I recommend the PTFE enriched "Shield" wax, which comes in at £100 IIRC. I use also use their "Autobahn" (£40) wheel wax too. I am a lazy goit when it comes to waxing. Once every 18 months is roughly how often I do it and Shield deflects water like it was first applied for the entire duration and as Asim says, you use less of it because it's higher in carnuba content than most other products.

yeh just got a megs clay bar....was really soft and have only had time to do the bonnet...its come up smooth but doesnt feel hardly any smother than the wing which i havent done yet!

the spray smells lush tho! what about stuff like turtle wax with a little paint stick thing that "fills in the large chips"

just another cheap product or has anyone had any good results?

I just got mine too. The clay bar is a bit of an arse to use as you really need to lube it up with that spray. ooer. However, it worked wonders on my bonnet and roof and provided a lump free substrate onto which I could apply the Swisol Onyx wax. The results were very good. I was in trouble with the g/f for spending too much time on the car though so I couldn't Clay Bar the sides and as such the polish was less effective there- lots of surface imperfections like sap etc. It makes removing the polish much harder. Still, it came up right nice, I just needed to use more elbow grease. The Onyx is not as easy to use as cheaper wax but the more you polish the better the shine becomes, the results are worth it and now I have a vice-like handshake. :)