Sign in to follow this  
weedwhacker

16v not liking revs

hiya guys, this is my first post on here... so ill say hi at the same time as asking a question.

i have a 16v 1.8 rado.. it done 173k now and all is good, apart from when it revs over about 4500rpms in any gear it sort of misses and looses power, not the best for whipping past trucks on back lanes..

i havent done anything to it as yet, ie plugs leads ect....

it dies have some "hot wires" ht leads which i have a feeling are cheap shitty ones..

been told that the best ones are vag std leads..

i have had a few golfs and sciroccos in my time but this is the first rado ive ever had.

is it just gonna be a matter of a good service and clean down, or could it be something a little more costly..

cool nice one fellas

tony...

:shock:

hello mate, welcome to the forum!

If you've not changed your leads yet then I'd do that along with the dizzy cap and rotor arm, something I firmly believe all new 16v owners should do as a matter of course as it only costs £70 tops can make a massive difference. I'd get it serviced (or service it yourself?) and see how its running after that. At least that way you'll have ruled out servicable parts and the common leads/dizzy/arm problems.

yeah..i'd agree with chris.

gotta be worth giving it a little service...your problem does sound typical of a sh1te lead or something....

any whining from the fuel pump? just thinking it could be that on its way out and giving up the ghost when its being pushed?

no whining at all,

strnge realy as she is good all the way up to and sometimes just over 4k then it sort of dies and splutters and shakes the car..

ony gets to me as im now driving like a grandad on a sundy afternoon..

got blown away by a max power saxo yesterday on the way home, pity as i couldnt give anything back for fear of being laffed at when the car started spluttering.

never mind..

roll on pay day.

so you think the fuel pump is failing under load then...

or could it just be an in line fule filter clogged up. reason im askin is at the min money is realy tight until i get paid, and i dont want to fork out for leads and plugs and stuff now when i can get away with doing it later.

im waiting for big stuff untill either edition 38 or vw action later in the year realy, can get bits a bit cheaper there.

could be the filter, the only real way to know is to have a look and change it. The only really expensive parts of what's been suggested so far are the leads and the fuel pump, try the little things first and see what happens. As chubby brown said, the dizzy cap and rotor arm are cheap as chips, so you might as well do them, and have beans for tea :)

If you have access to a timing light, a free, quick thing to check is the ignition timing, otherwise I'd go with what everyone else said.

Also what about the injectors?? These are not cheap at around £120, but they are an easy D.I.Y installation and at 140K miles made a noticable performance increase on my valver.

Change the spark plugs first if you haven't already done so, my 16V Golf always did the same when the plugs got too worn.

If you figure out what it is, pm Phil K and let him know, as he's having a very similar problem on his at the mo, and the garage it's at don't seem to be able to trace the cause...

ok will do..

it a strange one it comes and goes at arount 4500rpm.

also its now started doing it only in 5th gear at about 2500rpm.

roll on pay day...

im just limping it to and from work now... i hope it makes it for the rest of the mth.