Kevin Bacon

The Forced Induction VR6 thread

£985 inc VAT, not bad at all. Better than Owen Developments price of £1061 + VAT :?

1.06 back housing (and 268 cams) will give it some stonking top end 8)

:lol:

Yeah I've been thinking about 268s. You've got Doughertys haven't you IIRC?

I might even get a 1.06 housing too as I want some extra top end savagery. You're also running the 3.68 final drive? Awesome combo... 8)

Yep, Dougherty's 268s 3.68 FD and car weighs 1050-1100kg :cuckoo:

Matt @ C2 said " you do realise at 1 bar boost pressure you're going to have in the region of 400hp , don't you Gary?" :lol: :shock: :shock:

And the rest!

A friend's VRT with GT35R 1.06 @ 1 bar, Schimmel 263. 380whp and still climbing. It cuts off at 5679rpm on run 2 because he had some crank sensor syncing issues (he's running a motec). It's a beast :D

It says flywheel power, but it isn't 8)

I thought it would be lighter than that seeing as its stripped out etc...but then again it has got a VR in the front!

Full cage remember too - I'm getting the geometry and corner-weights set up by Ian Carvell at Retro GTI in Daventry soon, will post up the weights.

Went on the weighbridge down the tip and it was hovering around 1000kg, I don't think they're that accurate..

Compare whp numbers, not flywheel ones, and then we'll know how 'creative' the coast down software is :D

AFAIK, council owned public weighbridges HAVE to be accurate and regularly calibrated. Mine was 1260Kg with full tank of gas, 3 gall chargecooler tank and all, so is pretty spot on. Mine have started charging £7 per weigh, used to be free!

400hp in 1000kg is going to be utterly ballistic. Power understeer a plenty if you spool too quick :lol:

Remapped.

"Software" is an Americanism.....

Thought as much, didn't want to feel I was missing a trick though.

Right I've got another question which will probably make me sound like a spanner but here goes...

My install is obviously completely finished now, it's a v9 with 2000miles on it, looks to visually be in good condition. I know it's getting oil to it but at around between 1000-1300 rpm the charger makes a bit of a funny ringing type sound.

It's sounds a bit like metal rubbing on metal but it could also be air passing through it, it's a very strange little chirpy noise but it's worrying me as it was a diy install. It's a completely seperate sound to the expected whine.

Can anyone clear this up as a trait of a v9 or is it something to worry about?

The V9 has numerous resonances and grinding noises and I don't think I've ever heard 2 sound exactly the same either. Some are loud, some are quiet, it always was pot luck with those things!

So long as it's making the boost I wouldn't worry about it personally :D

Few quick Q's. What a/f ratios are people running when driving normal and what are they when giving it some stick?

Also is anyone running a CAT? I might need to fit one for MOT's so looking at different options.

Few quick Q's. What a/f ratios are people running when driving normal and what are they when giving it some stick?

14.7-15 on light throttle and idle, 20+ on over-run and 12.5 - 12.3 in boost.

Also is anyone running a CAT? I might need to fit one for MOT's so looking at different options.

yes - http://www.gt3turbo.com/Merchant/produc ... t=0&page=2

Ok, just like to check. James did tell me the figures so everything seems ok. Little bit richer on boost around 11-10:1.

Thanks I'll look at the CAT, is that the one you run? Notice any dip in performance with it fitted or a change in noise levels?

So long as it's making the boost I wouldn't worry about it personally

Ha, I love it, that's my kind of diagnosis

My passengers sweaty palms will verify it's making boost so I suppose all is good :)

Ok, just like to check. James did tell me the figures so everything seems ok. Little bit richer on boost around 11-10:1

Does it start in the 12s and then drop to 11 - 10, or is it always 11-10 as soon as you see boost? That is way too rich, but if it starts in the 12s and drops to 10, that's a sign of ignition break up (spark partially extinguished), but if it's 11-10 all the time, it's the software or something else.

Thanks I'll look at the CAT, is that the one you run? Notice any dip in performance with it fitted or a change in noise levels?

It is indeed. No perceptible dip in performance and it did soften the exhaust volume down a little yeah. I use a 2.5" exhaust after that though. Yours is 3" IIRC? So you'll have no trouble with restrictions etc.

Ok, just like to check. James did tell me the figures so everything seems ok. Little bit richer on boost around 11-10:1

Does it start in the 12s and then drop to 11 - 10, or is it always 11-10 as soon as you see boost? That is way too rich, but if it starts in the 12s and drops to 10, that's a sign of ignition break up (spark partially extinguished), but if it's 11-10 all the time, it's the software or something else.

It is indeed. No perceptible dip in performance and it did soften the exhaust volume down a little yeah. I use a 2.5" exhaust after that though. Yours is 3" IIRC? So you'll have no trouble with restrictions etc.

Thanks. Starts in the 12's and drops down a to the 10:1. Im stil feathering the throttle slightly when it comes on boost as its taking a bit of getting used to.

I notice Jetex are doing the CAT's as well but a fair bit more than that one.

I've seen that cured with NGK R5671A-8 plugs. C2 chips usually hold 12s in boost, so spark plugs is the cheapest and easiest thing to check first. Tricky to get in the UK for the same peanuts price they are in the US - http://www.spturboparts.com/Ignition/Sp ... 0,02~NGK8/

I use those myself and have zero issues.

Been running that cat for nearly a year daily and no issues with it yet. They even do a straight pipe the same length if you want to drop the cat after each MOT - http://www.gt3turbo.com/Merchant/produc ... 373&page=1

Right I've got another question which will probably make me sound like a spanner but here goes...

My install is obviously completely finished now, it's a v9 with 2000miles on it, looks to visually be in good condition. I know it's getting oil to it but at around between 1000-1300 rpm the charger makes a bit of a funny ringing type sound.

It's sounds a bit like metal rubbing on metal but it could also be air passing through it, it's a very strange little chirpy noise but it's worrying me as it was a diy install. It's a completely seperate sound to the expected whine.

Can anyone clear this up as a trait of a v9 or is it something to worry about?

Yeah, mine does that at about 2300-2500 rpm, just about town revs. Its quite annoying so I either shift round it or turn the tunes up!

Yeah, mine does that at about 2300-2500 rpm, just about town revs. Its quite annoying so I either shift round it or turn the tunes up!

That makes me feel better as mine is a bit of a replica of yours, if I'm honest my heart sank when I first heard it, then when it warmed up I gunned it down a dual carriageway and instantly felt a lot better :clap:

Do people (you guys :p) still recommend the NGK BKR7E for charged VRs?

What should I do about gapping them? I heard 0.24 mentioned?

When I was at the Stealth RR day they recommended the TT 225 sparks iirc. Perhaps give Vince a quick tinkle. Then give him a bell. Then give him a telephone call. :lol: