Kevin Bacon

The Forced Induction VR6 thread

Off topic but in topic to mic vr how much you looking for mincy?

pretty sure it 5k with the Brembo's/pro-race alloys or 3.5k with standard brakes/alloys.

Probably worth finding a spare block to build up and keep your existing one on standby in case of problems?

I had thought about that but from the block I have is only 4kmiles old and from what I can see its less work with keeping everything in the car and I should be able to do it my garage.

V6 4 Mo with GT35R :D

How's your mate Dale's 1.8T MK2 doing by the way?

god you sooooo predictable Kev :lol: but yeh i'm swinging towards the v6 4mo at the min mate, and after august (whn i can stop paying a mortgage on a house i'm not living in) i can start doing the conversion easily, you wanna sell me your GT35 then Kev??

and dales mk is undergoing another makeover with a 2.0tfsi engine with you old GT30 still strapped to the back.

so what the best 24v exhaust manifold then, ATP or SPA or other ones worth looking at??

karl

Indeed I am :D It's gotta be the big 6 + 35R for you mate!

A 1.8T with a GT30 strapped to it is also appealing but 400hp of 1.8T will cost you more than 400hp of V6T in the long run.

How about the Audi S4? Very good 2.7 bi-turbo motor as standard, bung a pair of K04s on it and you're looking at 450ish ponies, and the smoothness and 4WD traction to go with it.

A bloke at work has one (standard) and it drives superb. Typical Audi lifeless steering mind, but you can live with that for the other benefits. Traction is amazing. It's the proper Quattro torsen centre diff system with a more RWD bias, so actually feels like a 4WD car to drive, unlike the Haldex which feels FWD 95% of the time.

Yeah the 35 might be available in the near future :D

Haven't looked into 24V turbo manifolds in any detail really. Based on my experiences with cheap schitty cast manifolds from America (i.e. China!) I'd probably look at a decent tubular manifold with divided T4 flange.

Off topic but in topic to mic vr how much you looking for mincy?

I'll PM you mate but I doubt you'll want it. Although it drives superb, it's got a couple of other issues that I'm trying to sort.

Plus people on here might moan about me selling up! :lol:

LOL, the standard one where I work seemed to corner very well, but most German cars are engineered to understeer first.... there's pretty sorted B5s out there, especially in America. Can get trick control arms and all sorts for them.

As Karl had a smooth, big engined BMW before, I thought a boosted up S4 would be the ideal next car for him :D

subscribed :lol:

gone a bit quiet in here after the change over... my car has been off the road, looking forward to some VRT action soon though!

Aye, yes, there appears to be a general apathy with Corrados at the moment. I think I'm the only person who still gets a kick out of driving / owning one :)

thats good to hear kev! but yours is probably a better car than 99.9% of other corrado owners so you should enjoy it more :lol:

imagine how much fun i am going to have when i take mine out for a spin, im getting adrenaline thinking about it :)

Don't worry, I'm still here guys!

Counting down the days until I drop off my car with Vince. I think he's doing an R32 in a MK2 and then its me.

Are either of you two going to the Stealth rolling road day? 1st May?

Really? You think so? Well thanks mate :) To me it's just my daily hack that takes the monotomy out of my journeys. I wish the paint was as good as yours!

Yeah you'll have fun alright! They feel stupid quick if you haven't driven it for a while :)

Sent my Drive By Wire pedal and throttle off to DTA for characterisation (to stop me driving through a wall!), so I'll get that installed soon and report back. I'm keen to lose the throttle cable going over the turbo and the idle valve for a tidier install, plus DBW has other fun things like throttle blips on down shifts, cruise control, traction control and you can even set a valet mode which restricts the throttle and rpm :)

Are either of you two going to the Stealth rolling road day? 1st May?

i would look at going, first i have heard about it though!?

Really? You think so? Well thanks mate :) To me it's just my daily hack that takes the monotomy out of my journeys. I wish the paint was as good as yours!

Yeah you'll have fun alright! They feel stupid quick if you haven't driven it for a while :)

your car definately is better than most bud, but then you put the time and effort in so deserved really! And my paint isnt that good, it will be one day though i hope :D

i havent even sat in the rado for 5-6 weeks, been driving a new polo which feels like a 4x4 compared, so i cant wait to get in my little racing car again :lol:

and the valet mode you speak of sounds amazing, i cant bare to leave my car anywhere, so very interested in how it goes and details just for that part of it :lol:

Thanks again fella, the feeling's mutual :) If I had a newer car, or a better condition Corrado, I don't think I would be half as Gung-ho to drill holes into it etc :lol:

Yeah Valet mode is a feature that some standalones and OE ECUs come with. You don't want some idiot stacking your investment!

That would be so funny, some kiddie jumps in your car thinking he'll take it for a spin, but it's limited to parking speeds only :lol:

You can also limit the revs until the water & oil reach a certain temp, just like the M5!

Edited by Kevin Bacon

Is there an oil line 'kit' available for vrt's? If not does someone have a shopping list from theirs for me please?

That's why I made a heat shield to sit between the turbine housing and the lines. Using an infrared thermometer after a hard run, I see 450 deg C under the shield, and 100 deg C above it. The 200 series braided PTFE can operate at 232 deg C, so the shield works perfectly :D

Kev what heat shield did you purchase, I was suppose to have some coming from a mate in the truck building industry but that has fell through and looking at the options. Did you use self adhevise stuff on the bulkhead? then just the wrapping around the pipes surrounding it?

Thanks

Edited by dukest

What I have is a blanket head shield that hangs from the scuttle rubber. I bought some corragated head sheild and shaped it round the top side of the turbo. The bolts holding the manifold heat sheild hold it in place. I then put some firehose sleeves over the coolant hoses. All seems to be working fine so far. What I would do if I were you is get a hardline oil return hose at least right after the turbo.

I would replace the upper head to matrix hose with 4 ply silicon and an ally Tee off (if you have a water cooled turbo) and heat lag the lower one. The OE one just isn't up to it, lagged or not.

I made my heatshields from bits of metal from B&Q! You can get really expensive flashy corrigated ally sheeting from the internet, but that's exactly all it is: Corrigated ally. Don't buy into the BS. The stuff from B&Q is fine and you just fold in half to double the thickness :)

And don't use a turbo jacket. All they do is bake the oil and accelerate bearing wear.

Nice one thanks Kev for the heads up with the head to matrix hose I'll look at changing that but fortunately or unfortunately the turbo hot side had to go to the drivers side so there has been quite a lot of fabrication to get it to work. But on the plus side the oil feed and water feeds to the turbo are over the cold side. It will look quite messy to start with but this is just phase one for now until save some beans and sell some parts. then go for phase 2 as the engine should have a few thousand on by then.

I'll also have a trip to B&Q on sunday if the exhaust sheeting from the previous shell doesnt work.

Thanks again for the help chaps :) so looking forward to the finish only 2 years spent on this conversion!

Anyway enough rambling happy days the engine starts :)