Kevin Bacon

The Forced Induction VR6 thread

Ooh good link Kev just want i need! Im guessing i need a certain size? Will i need to get out there and measure mine or does anyone know which one i need off the top of their head?

Awesome work Dave 8)

I'm very interested in that Motronic Piggy box of tricks. I'm keen to follow this path as my Turbo + OBD2 + Begi worked very well too, apart from the part throttle clipping. Would this box stop that?

Sure would. The general idea is that you can filter out anything that upsets the balance for Motronic.

Trouble is if you go that route you'll be wanting your BEGI back! Guess I'll have to make you an offer quick then?

Thanks Kev. Bit pricey, but going by what you say, is cetainly worth it, im gonna get one.

I cant believe i hadnt heard anyone mention them before!!!! :?

Sure would. The general idea is that you can filter out anything that upsets the balance for Motronic.

Trouble is if you go that route you'll be wanting your BEGI back! Guess I'll have to make you an offer quick then?

LOL, don't worry about the Eggi, I can get another one easily enough.

Hang onto it for as long as you need it.

Nice surprise today, went home at lunch to find my silicon hoses had turned up from Siliconhoses.com, thats bloody quick as i only ordered them yesterday afternoon!

Anyway i popped the bonnet and removed my airbox and put the charger sort of in place and i have made a cock up with the fitment of pipes, it seems i cant go 50mm all the way to the TB, its going to have to be half and half as the 76-51 reducer with the 51mm 135 degree elbow is way too long to fit on to the TB as seen in this pic:

charger-50-135reducer.jpg

So i thought maybe an 80mm 90 degree elbow with the reducer on but that goes a bit too far to the left as seen in this pic (note its not properly fitted to the tb so once fitted straight it actually squashes against the top mount!):

charger-90reducer.jpg

I placed the 51mm 135 degree elbow in place and the 51mm is too small obviously but i think an 80mm 135 degree elbow straight off the TB into the reducer will do the trick. Here's how the 51mm looks in place:

charger-50-135.jpg

I put the charger sort of in place and connected everything up that i have and it kind of gives an idea of how it will work. In the pic i have the 80mm 90 degree elbow coming off the TB but its at more of an angle as it will be a 135 degree elbow, then i have the reducer and then i put the 51mm 135 degree elbow on to the charger outlet and connected them up, but its actually going to be a 90 degree alloy pipe coming off the charger:

charger-fit1.jpg

I started getting really excited when it was in place as it kind of hit me that very soon its actually going to happen :lol:

So what does everyone think? Do you reckon that TB -> 80mm 135 degree -> reducer -> 50mm alloy straight -> 50mm 90 degree -> charger, will work?

Did Siliconhoses not do a 51 - 76 reducing elbow? That would have been about right I think.

As mentioned previously, you want the least amount of silicon in the boost pipework as possible. At the end of the day install it as best you can and take it from there, it won't be a huge task improving it at a later date.

Well when their website actually bloody works for a change (its shockingly bad at the moment!!) i will check but im pretty sure they only have 45 and 90 degree reducers. If they do do a 135 degree reducer and they are the same size as the 135 degree elbow i have then that would be ideal i can just have that elbow coming round then a straight alloy pipe going into the 90 degree alloy pipe connected to the charger so as little silicon hose as possible really!

Could i not just cut the 135 degree elbow i have and a bit off the reducer so they are much shorter and i can play with the angle then. I done a quick photoshop to show what i mean, it would just have a straight alloy pipe and then a 45 degree or 90 degree depending on which way i mount the charger alloy pipe coming off the charger and coupling up with the straight?

that is 100% what i was gonna pm ya Rob, you must be a mind reader :lol: just dont get cutting anything yet?? you kids are so impacient sometimes, so just wait till an older person is there to keep an eye on ya :D

karl

herisites it is possible to cut the 135deg 80mm to fit it on the TB, then use a reducer like this...

This is my setup. Obviously a bit different as the Rotrex take off is different to the Vortech.

nice to see you making a bit progress rob :)

Cheers Ian, 'bit' being the important word there :lol: it wont be long, once i got the hosing angles etc sorted out then i can get it fitted, i am aiming for next weekend really as the hoses are next day delivery so even if i order them in the week i will get them in time, i should hopfully work out the angles this weekend at edition with help from Karl and anyone else willing to help!!

herisites it is possible to cut the 135deg 80mm to fit it on the TB, then use a reducer like this...

This is my setup. Obviously a bit different as the Rotrex take off is different to the Vortech.

Cheers mate, yours looks very tidy which is what i want ideally! I think the Vortech's are easier because the charger itself is SOOO big and sit quite far up the block that its pretty much in line with the TB where as the Rotrex is tiny and is further down so its a pig to work out. Im tempted to just buy a bunch of hoses, all different angles and then just fob it all together and flog whatever i have left!!

Im tempted to just buy a bunch of hoses, all different angles and then just fob it all together and flog whatever i have left!!

lol... Personally I would give Stormdevelopments a call, speak to Andy, he will be able to tell you exactly what you need.

Im tempted to just buy a bunch of hoses, all different angles and then just fob it all together and flog whatever i have left!!

lol... Personally I would give Stormdevelopments a call, speak to Andy, he will be able to tell you exactly what you need.

Yeah i have spoken to Andy a few times, nice bloke. I am going to be ringing him anyway so will see what he says.

Quick update. I have got the piping sorted out now finally. I received some alloy pipe today and i have a 76mm 135 degree silicon elbow coming tomorrow (was delivered today but nobody was in :roll:). I have ordered the little self seal plug thingy for the ISV (thanks again for the link Kev, also might be getting one of those very OEM looking boost gauges!).

So here is a quick mock up of the pipes now, in the pic i have just put the 76mm 90 degree elbow in place of what will be the 135 degree elbow just to show it reducing etc:

charger-alloy1.jpg

As you can see its a wee bit long so some cutting with be needed, i will need to shorten the 90 degree alloy elbow that i have connected to the charger as that sits way too high so that will be cut down enough so it bends pretty much straight away. I will also need to cut the straight bit down a tad, but i am going to try and cut as much of the silicon down as poss as apposed to cutting too much metal as i want as least silicon as possible really, but i will need to cut the metal pipe a bit atleast.

Here is an idea of how they will be cut down (this has the 50mm 13 degree elbow on though and not the reducer):

charger-alloy3.jpg

And with some clever photoshopping skills here is how its going to look when complete hopefully:

charger-pchop.jpg

Very sexy i think you will agree :wink:

I am going to ring Storm tonight and order their rising regulator which is a customised porsche 944 fuel regulator which is set for 6-7 psi and maybe even push 8 but im only going to be running about 6-7 anyway hopefully! Its very similar to the BEGI apparently but with the BEGI you need to set up the fuelling yourself where as theirs is already set which saves me a job!

I also got a new Jetex cone filter at edition 38 at the weekend so thats that sorted and i will just need to get some flexi pipe to run the MAF and cone in the bumper somewhere.

So if all goes to plan i will be fitting it this weekend :D

Nice one Rob! Hopefully all will go well. So am I right in saying that this has its own oil supply? Be interested in your results as I am looking to supercharge mine next year with a rotrex.

Nice one Rob! Hopefully all will go well. So am I right in saying that this has its own oil supply? Be interested in your results as I am looking to supercharge mine next year with a rotrex.

Cheers mate. Yeah it has its own oil supply so no need to tap into the sump like with the vortechs. However the oil supply comes at a cost because you can only use Rotrex's own traction oil which cost me 100 euros for 1 litre :shock: so that part sucks! The oil supply has its own oil cooler in line as well, mine has a mocal on it.

Looking great Rob, all this fabrication work is the fun part. Also makes you realise what a huge task OEMs have moulding intricate pipes and boxes around such tight spaces!

Where did you get your straight bits of alloy from?

Looking great Rob, all this fabrication work is the fun part. Also makes you realise what a huge task OEMs have moulding intricate pipes and boxes around such tight spaces!

Where did you get your straight bits of alloy from?

Cheers Kev, yeah it is quite fun, mainly exciting as you start to see it all in place and it becomes a lot more real that soon it will be fitted and working and i can start playing with M3's (ok maybe not M3's with only 6psi :lol:). And yeah i know what you mean, its such a simple task of fitting pipes to the charger but if you dont have the right angles/lengths etc it becomes a ball ache! But its sorted now, my 76mm 135 degree elbow turned up today finally YAY! As well as the ISV tap thingy. I put it all together and it certainly needs some chopping as its far too long but its 100% the right setup now so its ready to go!!!

I got the alloy pipes off ebay mate, i know ebay's not usually the best source but its metal so cant be too bad, i didnt go for their silicon hoses as they did look a bit cheap and nasty and wanted to make sure i got trusted ones. I just need to chop them down a bit so will need to get the hacksaw out!!

Hopefully i can fit it at the weekend, it just depends on Storm getting me the fuel regulator in time (but tbh Andy said its got my name on it so he wont let it go until i tell him i dont want it etc and he said he will send it next day delivery so i should definately have that in time as im going to ring him today), and whether or not Karl can come and help me!

I also need to pop into VW on the way home and get a new oil filter for when i change the oil. I didnt get the silky in the end, too much money and Karl lent me his halfords trade card so i got some Mobil oil trade price as well as NGK plugs (same ones you told me kev) and few bits for the beastly polo :lol:

My next update should hopefully be pics of the charger fitted or being fit :D :D :D

Oh and how do you set up a boost gauge as i think i will definately need one to make sure im not exceeding 7psi?? Does it plumb into the intake pipes or something?

I dunno mate, 8psi with the Vortech is enough to keep with an E36 M3 Evo no probs, but your 6psi will come in a lot earlier than a Vortech, so you'll have the edge over the Bimmer in the midrange I'd say.

That's a shame about the pipes coming from ebay because nearly all ebay people only take PayPal and I refuse to use that out of principal :lol: I'm surprised that Forgemotorpsort sell 90 degree alloy bends, but not straight sections!

Oh well, B&Q table legs it is then :lol:

Boost Gauge - connect that to one of the outlets on the brake servo hose, which you will see if you look down behind the aux pump. They may have green blanking caps on, just remove the cap and stick your guage hose on it.

If you can't get the fuel reg in time, you can take the stock 4 bar one apart and adjust it. It will richen the whole rev range though (not ideal) but it will give enough flow for 6psi.

I hope they one they're selling you is boost dependant and not just a common or garden rising rate?

B&Q table legs :lol: :lol:

Cheers for the info on the boost guage, i am going to be (finally!!) fitting my audi vdo gauges in my dash soon so im just going to drop the voltage and replace with a nice oe looking revotec bost gauge!

Its a shame you dont do ebay mate as the company i got the pipes from sell the straights in different lengths as well, i got a 30mm one but think i should of definately gone shorter, when i ordered it though i thought that the engine bay was bigger than it actually is!! :lol:

I heard lots of good reviews about Storms regulator at editon especially from CrazyDave who told me it would be a better option than a BEGI as its already set up for the boost i will be running. Apparently its a modified 944 regulator with CNC machined parts (?) to suit the Rotrex and is designed for use with the MAF as well.