Kevin Bacon

The Forced Induction VR6 thread

A little something my mate had made for his VR6 Turbo conversion, but is sending it to me for testing first.

It looks stunning. Even more so when / if it's smoothed off and polished.

It's a RHD one and some of you will recognise the position of the turbo and WG flange ;-)

It's made with heavy gauge 304 stainless for the flanges and super rugged and high temp handling 321 for the runners.

No bracing required. The company who made it know exactly what they're doing ;-)

If there's enough interest, there is a possibility to get some more made at a surprisingly cheap price. I've got one on order ;-)

saw this nice corrado at UD yesterday, it had a HGP turbo conversion, both me and shaun thought it looked really well set out. Put a post on ed38 asking if anyone knows the owner.

Whats the update on yours James?

not a great deal,just little things to sort out now,im in the possess of selling the house so I need to start to concentrate to get it finished or at least mobile again.

quick pic of tonight dibble...

DSCN1640.jpg

thanks all,yes I had to scrub off you know what on the charge cooler.. :gag:

As for the turbo it does sit higher than the ATP manifold but I have more than three to four inches of bonnet clearance,by the time its got a heatshield on and all wrapped up looking like something from N.A.S.A it should be fine...time will tell :tongue: but im confident it will be ok.

yea the rail will be fine for 1000hp :nuts:

some better pics as that one does make the turbo look like its hitting the bonnet. :?

DSCN1641.jpg

This is a better pic but the cold side looks like it has no room,but there plenty!

DSCN1649.jpg

I've just been looking at my bits and bobs in preparation for whanging on the V9, but I think my pulley is shagged, the edge groove has some rather healthy dents in it - I take it this will eat the belt fairly quick if I put it on. So...is it really shagged and where can I get a new one from nice and cheap like?

Ta.

Thought i'd post up a few pics of my Rotrex install, mechanically she's pretty much there bar management & fueling setup, runs but very heavily over-fueling with the Red Tops in. The chargers a C30-94 only running at 10psi for the mo whilst the wrinkles are all worked out, no cooling at the moment but a water /meth injection will be added very shortly as a temporary fix.

A big thankyou needs to be extended to Darren, Rob & Lee @ G-Werks who have put a lot of effort into this car & getting the Rotrex up & running (amongst other things) and generally putting up with me shifting the goalposts more than a few times! :salute: I'm ok doing the more basic stuff like fitting new Rads, Mocals, crack-pipes etc but for the trickier stuff i've relied on them a lot!

If there's any interest i'll try to create a members thread with some more pics etc in the next few weeks.

regards, Alex

Edit: sorry about the shoddy pic quality but took them with my camera phone at the weekend

Here a pic of a mock up of mine.

JKM 1.jpg[/attachment:2swz1x5f]

Thats one sweet engine bay storm Ok I can now stand up to the turbo table :D

I am in the process of getting a GT3582R with an ATP turbo manifold and downpipe for my VR6 Golf Thanks to MR Cheese for guiding me and a pic of the downpipe th_ATP-VVW-177_450-1.jpg

Spec will be,, 83mm forged pistons, H beam forged rods, SP short runner, SP charge cooler, SP 263 cams, SP methanol injection kit, Lightened flywheel, Stage 1 clutch, Full ARP studs, Level 3 driveshafts. The bottom end will be balanced and rebuilt. So over the next couple of months I can sample some VRT goodness :D

Here's that badger5 VR6 intake spacer Dave and I mentioned.

It's 8mm thick and seals with some nice O rings :) It's actually the best spacer I've seen to be honest, extremely well made.

No mods required. Some need the alternator grinding, but not so with this one :D

Think it was about £70 posted, which is reasonable imo. Comes with longer (stainless) bolts, but you don't need them.

Done a lot of testing and the biggest improvement has been in idle quality, there's less fuel evaporation when it gets really hot. Intake temps are now 7 to 9 deg above atmosphere. With a stock gasket, the temps were 10 to 14 above, so it does work nicely 8)

Here is some of the parts I now have to "Go turbo" :D

SP short runner inlet manifold with elbow

th_VR6Turboparts002.jpg

SX performance fuel pressure regulator (going to feed both sides of the fuel rail and use the regulator for the return) and planning on using a fuel cooler too

th_VR6Turboparts003.jpg

ATPturbo ceramic coated manifold

th_VR6Turboparts004.jpg

Garrett GT3582R turbo

th_VR6Turboparts005.jpg

SP chargecooler tank and cooler

th_VR6Turboparts006.jpg

Gruvenparts billet pulleys

th_VR6Turboparts007.jpg

ARP bolts, Timing chain kit, 50lb injectors, titanium retainers, HD valve springs,

th_VR6Turboparts008.jpg

Peloquin atb diff kit

th_VR6Turboparts009.jpg

Lightened flywheel

th_VR6Turboparts001.jpg

All supplied by SPturboparts.com (except gruven pulleys)

I also have a Brand new never used 02A VW motorsport diff still in the original box that i accquired and will probably use it :norty:

So thats what i have been buying over the last few weeks so its all systems a go go, Next to get is Wossner forged 83mm pistons and forged rods SQS gearset DTA management and an odd few bits LMAO

Mines coming on well, few more things to do. Jkm having done an Awesome job :D

Having few fuel problems, then theres the mapping. Will be picking it up in few weeks 8)

Corrado92.pdfDSCF2383.JPG[/attachment:t2shk9qg]

passat climatronic wiring diags.pdfDSCF2387.JPG[/attachment:t2shk9qg]

climatronic wiring-Golf from May 01.pdfDSCF2464.JPG[/attachment:t2shk9qg]

2.8l 24v Climatronic system.pdfDSCF2463.JPG[/attachment:t2shk9qg]

DSCF2466.JPG[/attachment:t2shk9qg]

Ok Guys, its GT3076R which i think will be big enough for what i want :)

Its a 3'' down pipe and 3'' system with single box for max flow, the guys at JKM

have been out in it and its not to bad.

It took them a while to get the system rite, but there no banging on the rear beam

or booming,there work is top class . All v-band too

Got bosch inline 044 pump and swirl pot going in pic below, so fuel system be good for 500bhp

DSCF2448.JPG[/attachment:1anwiop4]

EIP put 1000hp through a standard R32 O2M drivetrain (plus a clutch obviously) and it took it. For how long though, I don't know.

Considering the grip of 4WD, that's seriously impressive for factory parts.

Back in the day, they also put 500whp through a FWD VRT with the Gemini kit and that took it also, although FWD + road tyres + 500whp = spin city and therefore not so much strain on the transmission (until it regains grip that is!).

Having spoken to a few big power VRT folk, it seems the bottom line is the stock O2A box is OK with 350whp so long as your sensible and don't put it on the strip. 400whp is the outer limit and you're on borrowed time. It will generally only last 3 to 4 pulls on the strip at that level!

I know it's torque that breaks the gears etc, but it's just easier to say whp....but assume torque to be equal to the power, if not higher, as is often the case with turbo engines....although you can size the turbo, cams and timing etc to get it boosting higher up the revs.

I'm sure i've attached this before, but this particular 02A gearbox has seen plenty of strip action in an internationally renowned car :wink:

It finally gave up the ghost on the strip with 800whp going through it, but you'll notice the SQS gearset wasn't phased by it all.....rather the casing flexed and shattered instead :D

It laid down 800whp quite a few times prior, but at that level you just don't know when it will go twang.

The 02M casing is a lot more rigid and far less likley to do that, but who among us is going to be running 800whp on the public roads with 20" wide slicks? :D

Few pics for you kev :D

stromlaufplan_gamma4.pdfVRT 045.JPG[/attachment:3knoz8n2]

Corrado92.pdfVRT 046.JPG[/attachment:3knoz8n2]

passat climatronic wiring diags.pdfVRT 050.JPG[/attachment:3knoz8n2]

climatronic wiring-Golf from May 01.pdfVRT 051.JPG[/attachment:3knoz8n2]

2.8l 24v Climatronic system.pdfVRT 024.JPG[/attachment:3knoz8n2]

VRT 028.JPG[/attachment:3knoz8n2]

Its gone a bit quiet in this one so I thought I would post a couple of pics to wet your appetites!! Not really forced at the moment but it should be in a couple of weeks :D

Alex

My target is just to get it running tbh. Not going to be pushing it too hard and low boostish, if something breaks it will be very expensive to fix! Audi wanted £9k + VAT just for an engine!

Major headache so far has been injector angle because I am not using the FSI setup. Short runner just needs a bit of welding and cleaning up and then Ill be able to get things moving and bolting all bits on etc.

Cheers Dave,

The 3.6 is a very compact engine tbh, there is very little difference in size from the 12v it may even be slightly shorter! It is certainly lighter than the 12V engine I took out.

The injectors are all still on the front but I removed the lower rail to work on the inlet flange. The holes can be seen in the second pic below. The top row of injectors are 3 time longer than the lower to reach through the engine to the rear bank of cylinders. I will just leave the FSI injectors in situ instead of blanking them off.

Yeah think Andy has one running FSI and one regular injection. Very clever setups though, think they have cracked the drive by wire throttle too!

Few updates on mine.....

Scrapped the OBD2 plan and went back to a standalone. A DTA S80 this time. Learning from previous mistakes, shortcuts and (numerous) bodges, I completely gutted all the OBD2 harness out and made a loom for the DTA from scratch.

ECU is water proof, so thought I'd take advantage of that and mount it in the stock position. Not in shot is a heat proof cover.

Dscf0010.jpg

Injectors rewired and sleeved, Bosch idle valve and AEM 3.5 Bar MAP sensor

Dscf0008.jpg

Coilpack done a little neater this time :lol:

Dscf0011.jpg

And some new wheels.

Dscf0007.jpg

Dead chuffed with how it drives now.

I shelved the stripped out plan too and put all the back interior back in :lol:

I completely redid the boot arrangements too, mounting the water tank, battery and screen wash bottle on birch ply and bolted solidly to the floor. MILES better than my first, botched MDF special :lol: Amazingly, there is not a single creak or rattle from the car now...... which is more than can be said for the missus' 06 Plate Polo, LOL!

Driveshaft shop stage 2.9 axles, good for 475whp track launches.....so plenty beefy enough for road use 8)

axles.jpg

And the revised boot arrangements, done properly this time :D Still to do is a thin false floor to cover the remainder of the boot.

boot.jpg