Kevin Bacon

The Forced Induction VR6 thread

OK :? doing my brakes next

you really should though, and i enjoy my brakes as much as the power :D

Indeed - apart from the feeling of security they give - big brakes certainly scare the s**t out of roundabout flower beds! :lol:

So a how would mark 4 golf brake set up get on with 300-350 ponys,she sure does stop on the button at the moment.

So a how would mark 4 golf brake set up get on with 300-350 ponys,she sure does stop on the button at the moment.

I had the 288 mk4 set up when mine had the V9 charger (300hp) and they were ok. Have you got 288's or 312's?

I had the 288 mk4 set up when mine had the V9 charger (300hp) and they were ok. Have you got 288's or 312's?

Mate

Hows yours coming along, Another Storm VRT

They'll be using the standard ECU with larger injectors - the MFA mpg readout will be screwed up, of course, but it should start, idle and run from cold like a standard car.

You can recalibrate the MFA to injector size.

Perhaps you can let Vince know how to do that then, since he says you can't do it on OBD1 engine management.

It was him who told me it could be done and I'm more inclined to believe him, than you.

And it was him who told me it couldn't be done, last Monday..

It was him who told me it could be done and I'm more inclined to believe him, than you.

And it was him who told me it couldn't be done, last Monday..

Settle this old way....at dawn with pistols. :D

Mate

Its coming along well thanks Shaun, just slowly :lol:

Its taken me a year to build it so far! All the mechanicals are finally done and at the moment I am making up a new loom for the Emerald ECU. I have taken my time with it and built it all properly, forged oversize pistons (3.0l), forged rods, big valve head, cams, 3" exhaust, wavetrak LSD, 02J shift tower, bigger rad etc....

There will be a full build thread at some point soon with lots of pics, watch this space!

288's mate,was thinking of just uprating the disc's and the pads for now.

Mate

Its coming along well thanks Shaun, just slowly :lol:

Its taken me a year to build it so far! All the mechanicals are finally done and at the moment I am making up a new loom for the Emerald ECU. I have taken my time with it and built it all properly, forged oversize pistons (3.0l), forged rods, big valve head, cams, 3" exhaust, wavetrak LSD, 02J shift tower, bigger rad etc....

There will be a full build thread at some point soon with lots of pics, watch this space!

Nice work Ben

Be nice to read you thread, did you go for GT30

im looking into a stronger bottom end. Jim at JKM will be building me one end of next year :)

400bhp will do for now :lol:

Nice work Ben

im looking into a stronger bottom end. Jim at JKM will be building me one end of next year :)

Yep, I went for the GT3076, same as you have. I chose that for the quicker spool over the GT35.

288's mate,was thinking of just uprating the disc's and the pads for now.

Thats what I did when I had the charger, its worth noting that the calipers you have for 288's will also take a 312's with different carriers.

Nice work Ben

Yep, I went for the GT3076, same as you have. I chose that for the quicker spool over the GT35.

When you hoping to have it on the road

Thats what I did when I had the charger, its worth noting that the calipers you have for 288's will also take a 312's with different carriers.

Thats good to know,so are the 312s and the different carries come from a later spec mark 4 or a gti do they,just so I know what to look out for

TT does use 312's and they are ****.

:lol:

Agreed, they are w@nk.

I just cannot believe people even contemplating driving a 400hp VRT around on 288s or 312s :cuckoo:

i dont think there is anything wrong with the standard suspension and brakes myself :confused4:

:lol:

Sorry we keep talking brakes in the engine section.

But......would people think Porsche Cayenne S Brembo 4 pots with 323 discs a bit more upto the job rather TT 312's? If so, thats ok then!

But......would people think Porsche Cayenne S Brembo 4 pots with 323 discs a bit more upto the job rather TT 312's? If so, thats ok then!

Yep, 4 pots are better the single piston calipers all day long!

Absolutely :salute:

Remember with just 1 bar of boost, you are doubling the engine's power and torque (sometimes more, depending on spec), so it really is a MUST, rather than a luxury, to double the power of the brakes too.

A lot of people seem to treat brakes like a white good, i.e. a necessary evil, but they form part of the overall performance package, along with uprated suspension etc....a lot more than they're given credit for! Monster stopping power is just as addictive as monster accelerative power :D

Are you suitably persuaded / informed / bullied enough yet? :D :lol:

I warped a succcession of 312s and 288s and grew tired of it....and that was BEFORE going turbo!!

Yep suitably informed! Thats why there's a nice pair of Brembo calipers sat in the kitchen waiting for a couple of parts to arrive before getting fitted by Christmas time. Not even 100% sure about going turbo but couldn't resist getting this brake setup!