Kevin Bacon

The Forced Induction VR6 thread

My recirc valve is passing air on idle, which would screw idling up. It also sounds like a dump valve anyway. :)

Therefore I would say tread very carefully with any kind of dump valve!

The novelty soon wears off

I don't even notice mine half the time, your brain kind of tunes it out.

I'm terrible for it, I even make the little "schew" sound when I change gear in my girlfriends 1.4 pug 306, just to wind her up :)

My recirc valve is passing air on idle, which would screw idling up. It also sounds like a dump valve anyway.

My recirc valve is passing air on idle, which would screw idling up. It also sounds like a dump valve anyway. :)

Thanks for that, I think I'll give Forge a ring to check how it runs with a VF kit

I just had a recirc on mine when I had the Rotrex and it was loud like a dump valve! It sounded fcuking awesome, I miss my Rotrex :( The R32 sounds alright though I suppose, needs a turbo though! :lol:

The trouble is too many chavtastic weapons emit a gay little psssssshhhhhh, followed by a puff of blue smoke usually, which gives dump valves a bad name.

What you want is Darth Vader shouting RAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHH from under the bonnet, which only a socking great Tial 50mm can achieve :D

The trouble is too many chavtastic weapons emit a gay little psssssshhhhhh, followed by a puff of blue smoke usually, which gives dump valves a bad name.

What you want is Darth Vader shouting RAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHH from under the bonnet, which only a socking great Tial 50mm can achieve :D

What you really want is a nice whooooooosh as the charger/turbo gives you boost to tell everyone you are booting it. All dump valves do is let everyone know you are changing gear. :lol: (and maybe stop your engine going bang)

I just love the sound of them when you feather the throttle through some corners and they're chirping away like mad, I blame it mainly on that old group B rally video link that someone posted up recently :)

Admittedly stuff like beaten up Fiat Coupe's dumping though the window of a mcdonalds drive-thru don't help, or rusty old Impreza wagon's gunning it past bus stops full of kids

That chirping noise is compressed air travelling backwards over the compressor blades and isn't healthy for the turbo at all :D

A lot of people pay good money for that noise these days, but they don't realise the long term damage it's causing :lol:

That chirping noise is compressed air travelling backwards over the compressor blades and isn't healthy for the turbo at all

A lot of people pay good money for that noise these days, but they don't realise the long term damage it's causing

Ah right maybe not then, maybe I'm getting a bit carried away with myself, my 8psi isn't exactly going to turn my VR6 into a Metro 6R4 :lol:

Another quick question, I've done a search but couldn't find anything...

I've had a look at the belts that came with my kit, I got two, apparently one is for A/C cars and a shorter one is for cars without A/C,

For a start they both look like the have 7 ribs, secondly they're ribbed both sides? Is this correct?

My mate has an OBD2 golf with a belt ribbed both sides, just concerned it will slip on the waterpump if I run it

7DPK 1390 was the right belt IIRC, which was a standard VR6 AC belt.

1390 is the length in mm, 7 being the rib count, D being double sided and P and K = anyone's guess :D

It doesn't slip mate, don't worry about it.

The kit originally came with a Goodyear 6 rib single sided belt, which lasted all of 3 microseconds. The VAG belts last well.

7DPK 1390 was the right belt IIRC, which was a standard VR6 AC belt.

1390 is the length in mm, 7 being the rib count, D being double sided and P and K = anyone's guess

It doesn't slip mate, don't worry about it.

The kit originally came with a Goodyear 6 rib single sided belt, which lasted all of 3 microseconds. The VAG belts last well.

Thanks Kev, wealth of knowledge as always

Nearly done with the installation then I can stop filling up your thread with my ramblings :)

Right everything is pretty much done, a million and one little bits I needed to collect, hoses, bungs, connectors etc

I'd just to know if anyone can recommend anything to clean the inside of the charger with before I bolt it on, it has been sitting around for a while and the chap I bought it off had lost the caps to stop any crap getting into it.

Carb cleaner? petrol? wd40 etc, or just give it a good blow through with an air hose?

I'd give it a good blow through with an air hose, I wouldn't spray any thing in there as it has the potential to either build up Cr@p or harden the shaft seal which could lead to an oil leak down the line.

I'd give it a good blow through with an air hose, I wouldn't spray any thing in there as it has the potential to either build up Cr@p or harden the shaft seal which could lead to an oil leak down the line.

Cool thanks for that, exactly why I wanted to check first

Recirculating valve...

Little vacuum port at the top of it, run a hose to the abs vacuum feed like a Schrick (little green caps) or does it need a feed from somewhere else?

I've got it in my head to pop a Y piece into the line that comes off the FPR but I don't know why I'm thinking to do that :confused4: :D

Any ideas? Does it even need a vacuum feed, I've looked at pictures of engine bays for the past 30 mins but can't figure it out

Recirculating valve...

Little vacuum port at the top of it, run a hose to the abs vacuum feed like a Schrick (little green caps) or does it need a feed from somewhere else?

I've got it in my head to pop a Y piece into the line that comes off the FPR but I don't know why I'm thinking to do that :confused4: :D

Any ideas? Does it even need a vacuum feed, I've looked at pictures of engine bays for the past 30 mins but can't figure it out

Like this?

P6280441.jpg

Like this?

That's where I've seen the picture, I knew I had it in my head for a reason :D

If I'm honest I accidentally deleted your very informative PM so I couldn't double check, Was that for the recirc valve then?

Like this?

That's where I've seen the picture, I knew I had it in my head for a reason :D

If I'm honest I accidentally deleted your very informative PM so I couldn't double check, Was that for the recirc valve then?

Yup!

Yup!

Coolio, Pretty much done then...

Test drive tonight :clap:

Awesome! You'll love it. :nuts:

Looks like the test drives tomorrow as some bits didn't turn up

Question though...Would I be an idiot to keep my Bonrath PR on? Forget the fact it's metal as I'd heat proof the underneath

I'm concerned I wouldn't be keeping the intake pipe 63mm all the way to the TB, would I be going to 76mm too soon and losing boost pressure or will it make little difference?

Looks like the test drives tomorrow as some bits didn't turn up

Question though...Would I be an idiot to keep my Bonrath PR on? Forget the fact it's metal as I'd heat proof the underneath

I'm concerned I wouldn't be keeping the intake pipe 63mm all the way to the TB, would I be going to 76mm too soon and losing boost pressure or will it make little difference?

Did you not get a moulded plastic pipe with the kit that goes from charger to TB? I take it not...

Did you not get a moulded plastic pipe with the kit that goes from charger to TB? I take it not...

I did but it's not in the best condition, been chopped and adapted a bit and I'm wary it may leak boost.

I would run the charger - silicon hose - metal t-piece with recirc valve - silicon hose 63mm-76mm - then my 76mm bonrath up to the TB with another silicon hose, should look and sound nice and probably flow better but I am aware I should try and keep it 63mm right up to the TB, is it that much of a difference though?