Kevin Bacon

The Forced Induction VR6 thread

I haven't seen throttles on turbo inlets before, very novel 8)

As a guess, it looks like they pushed for maximum flow. With no throttles on the head and the turbo throttle wide open, you get a completely unimpeded flow path into the cylinders. It's a simple and clever idea :notworthy:

I imagine Anti-lag would work better aswell.

I don't think it would work particularly well on a road car as the 'throttle response' could prove tricky to manage at slow speeds, i.e. going from idle to half bar boost over a very small throttle opening!! F1 engines usually idle at 4000ish rpm and rev past 15K. Whereas we spend most of our time at idle to 3000rpm :lol:

Read a few opinions on this, it seem very good for anti lag, negates requirement for BOV. The turbo can spool up quicker due to the greater differential pressure across the compressor and less work to do as the air mass is much lower until WOT.

However there are also numerous disadvantages, solid boost pipework needs to be used and a leak can end up in WOT!

Turbo life is often reduced due to higher shaft speeds to compensate for running in a partial vacuum and the oil seals tend to fail earlier due to the vacuum present in the turbo.

Cool stuff! Yeah I read a bit of that thread afterwards and one guy likened it to putting your hand over a vaccum cleaner hose to build up that pressure differential you mentioned. I struggled to picture in my head how it would work, but I guess it must!

Loving the glowing turbo manifold too... an ideal place for the neighbour's cats to fall asleep :wink: :lol:

Some gallery that!

Where's the turbo museum?

New F1 formula certainly something to look forward to.

Do IRC that it was BMW who held the title for highest specific bhp from an F1 engine?

Gents, are we definitely on for the 19th Sept then for the RR day? Im looking at options for the Sunday day / night. If it is worth putting up a post in events section.

If it not on then I can just travel down on the Sunday as the cars getting the Racelogic fitted on the Monday.

Would deffo be up for it if you can't fill it with turbo VR owners :) Wanna see what this DG remap has done for me :D

No big shakes for me as Im only staying over night on the Sunday. I'll be leaving early doors on the Sun morning so probably wont get there till midday.

Yep, Vince has confirmed the 19th is a goer :D

I will call him nearer the time to find out what time he wants us there and any other minor details.

Another bit of good news - My Racelogic TC arrives on Monday :clap:

don't think i'm going to be able to make this :( :( :(

as it stands i'm set to fly out of the country on the 17th and somehow i don't think getting a later plane is an option for me!

obviouly i'll keep you posted an if i can make it then i will...

anyone want to take the M5 along for me?!? :lol:

as it stands i'm set to fly out of the country on the 17th and somehow i don't think getting a later plane is an option for me!

Bloody Hell Pete - you haven't turboed it have you?! :lol:

Bloody Hell Pete - you haven't turboed it have you?! :lol:

:lol: no i haven't turbo'd it, nor will - check out the piccy below and you'll see just how little metal there is between the bores.

why people turbo these things i really don't know - if you do the right bits, you can achieve the 625bhp of the ascaris etc without needing to force feed them.

but anyway - it's staying totally standard during my tenure...

Pete - if you want someone to take your M5 along, I'd be MORE than happy :D You know how much I love that car ;)

Is this limited to Corrado's and forced induction only? Fancy bringing my mk2 VR along if im allowed?

Stealth is a nice drive over from Northampton aswell.

I am looking at supercharging my Vr at the moment but the thing that stopped me was during the recent rain storms i thought about where the filter might be. Turns out its right down the front near the wheel with the vf vortech kit. I dont have arch liners due to wheel coilover set up and am very concerned that the filter is doing to get a good drowning if i drive through more than a small puddle. Do people have problems with this, is there a solution? Does anyone have any pics of the filter in situ, i guess its pretty much where the charcoal filter is from what i have been told. Thanks for any replies. I will search this thread but its a bit of a monster to get through.

The Air filter will get a good soaking on a wet road let alone a puddle without arch liners. There is not enough room under the Cannister hole to put a filter protector on so the filter is open to the elements. I never had a problem with the position of the filter with the liners in place. If you do go down the VF route give me a call, got one sitting on the shelf! Neil