Sign in to follow this  
coolrado

air con from a seat leon ?

i know of quite a new seat leon in a scrappy and they have said i can have all the air con bits i need for 100 quid.

is it possible to fit it to a g60?

the aircon pump on the leon sits down at the front of engine below the power steering pump.

its the full aircon with the full digital display so should look pretty cool fitted as well, i might buy it anyway and flog it on if i cant use it

anyone ever fitted leon air con before or know if its possible? and what exactly would i need off it , i can take some photo's to identify the pump which looks very similar to the pics of standard corrado air con pumps that have been posted on here.

Having been subjected to aircon woes myself. I wouldn't try to retro fit a modern system into any car.

All the pumps look similar but thats where there similarity ends :mrgreen:

The mounting brackets and offset of the pulley. Then there's the nause of changing the pulley for the water pump as the serp belt is routed differently on AIr Con G60s. Getting the condesor in front of your rad, pipework, drier etc etc.

Fitting the pipework, the fan controls, making room behind the dash to get all the gubbins in.

Just not worth it. Unless you want a winter project and to not drive your car for ages.

IMO it's not worth buying to sell on either mate. The only bit worth anything is the compressor and maybe the condensor.

Cheers

Gavin

well i do have a company van with private use so i wouldnt be without transport, and a mate of mine works in a machine shop so has full acsess to plenty of cnc machines and lathes so the brackets shouldnt be a problem, and my centre console has allready been adapted for double din.

the odd thing is my water pump allraedy has a pulley with an extra ribbed section that isnt used for anything, would this be for air con?

the wiring also shouldnt be a problem for me but i still havnt seen the under dash fan assembly yet.

it does look very tight down at the front of the engine, anyone got any photos of a standard setup?

The water pump on a std G60 is run by the serp belt on an air con car it is run off a v belt with the ps pump.

It is tight and you are welcome to check out my Passat at Tatton Park. Assuming I wangle the day off..

I would get the rpint outs of the bits from ETKA that are used in the std set up(LHD only) and go from there. Good luck making it all work though. Might be a good time for a Leon dash conversion. Not seen that done yet!! :mrgreen:

Gavin

hmm cheers for the info, i think i might just go for it anyway as in the grand scheme of corrado ownership 100 quid is bugger all :lol:

plus i like the look of the controls in the leon and its all practically brand new, the engine bay is totally undamaged as a tree fell on the rear of the car, its a leon cupra as well and apart fron the tree shaped dent in the roof and rear quarters looks spotless. hmm interesting idea about the leon dash but i think i prefer the rado dash the way it is i will have another good look at it next week

got most of it in now just need to get some pipework sorted and the aircon will be working too but just the temperature contol is a vast inprovement and the re-circ option is very handy when driving past the local slaughterhouse

so how did you find the fitting process? - still got my mk4 setup lying around waiting to go on a vr......

that looks brilliant mate i really really want aircon , any chance of some pics of the pump etc and any info on car the air con came out of.

so how did you find the fitting process? - still got my mk4 setup lying around waiting to go on a vr......

pretty easy so far the hardest bit was making the controls fit which took quite a lot of dremmeling and a bit of aluminium frame work making to support the centre console properly.

just need to find someone to sort some custom aircon pipes, the right pullies and a re-gas

the leon pump is a straight fit and the doner car had only done 12k miles before a tree fell on it so the pump is practically new.

the heater ducting was really easy to fit and only required a couple of modifications but it does mean i had to shorten the glovebox a bit and loose the deep recess in the left hand undertray but i have got some flock on order so i can make it look totally original.

its all been put on hold until the bonnet is sorted though. :(

Now, that does look good. What parts did you need then? Compressor, evaporator, condensor, control panel....what else? Any pics of the install in the engine bay?

its from the model before the current one and from what i have seen they all have the same screen in them. i dont see why you shouldnt be able to change the illumination i think its all done with surface mount led's though,

when you switch the lights on it sort of fades on then fades off when you switch it off which is quite cool as well

no pics of the engine bay yet as i have taken it all out until i get the pipes made up

Dont change it to green, change the rest of the LEDs in the car to red, its cool!! :)

I was going to suggest that! :wink: