Sign in to follow this  
SteveRobb

Changing out the sunroof

Sunroof has given up the ghost. Looks like one of the slider thingies has become detched from a wire thingy. Electrics still seem to work but mechanics Kaput.

Can anyone help with how to remove and replace, or point me in the right direction. Couldn't find anything specific on a search.

93 model (not sure if its early or late type? is there an easy way of telling whilst it's still on the car?)

Steve

when you say remove and replace...do you mean the whole unit?..if so its fairly easy...just have to remove the headlining and undo 4 or 6 bolts (( cant remember !)) ...

Check the motor connections, if it has 3 wires I think it means its an early one, like the one I have for sale! ;-)

Under the sunroof switch panel (in the headlining), remove the light panel and there are a couple of screws holding the panel on, motor is then obvious.

get a glass sunroof out of a passat or toledo - i get them for £20 inc motor and everything and they go straight in - practice removing from a scrapper first :)

get a glass sunroof out of a passat or toledo - i get them for £20 inc motor and everything and they go straight in - practice removing from a scrapper first :)

No don't buy mine!..... :-)

Is the whole mechanism the same on the passat/toledo?

it stronger and more robust and doesn't snap like the corrado one - haven;t tried swapping parts as yet cos i prefer the glass one so see no need to repair the corrado one but having pulled many apart i would be surprised if you couldnt repair a corrado one with bits from the passat