Sign in to follow this  
rixy

VR6 Cams etc

hi, i have recently booked my 93 vr6 raddo in for a head gasket, cam chains, and clutch, and was wondering whether it was easier to fit some cams while its all to bits!

What are the best cams to go for, ,schrick im guessing, but if anyone knows of any thing different, let me know, want more power but more grunt, dont mind if it runs sloppy at tick over, hopefully want to go up to supercharging it in the future!

PLease can anyone tell me which ones are the best to go for, and where is the best place to get them from, and roughly how much if poss, any help would be greatly appreciated, cheers, Ryan

Good cams for naturally aspirated cars are not good cams for forced induction cars, usually, unfortunately.

But yes, it's a good time to get something fitted if it's all coming to bits anyway. :)

right then, well does anyone know of somewhere that will do my head gasket, cam chains, clutch and cams all in one then so i can give them a call, as the chap i've booked my car in with, has said he wont change my cams,he's not into that sort of thing apparently! Will prob go for some non forced cams, as cant afford a charger or turbo for a long while, so will change if need be nearer the time! What r the best for more power and torque? cheers everyone!

Many people go for the Schrick 268s, which give you probably around 15 bhp up top, but they do little or nothing for the midrange. In fact, they're happiest with the Schrick inlet manifold, which will pad out the midrange for you.

I've not really heard much about other options..

Your avatar terrifies me a bit.

You think that's weird you should see some of the covers from one of the bands I like called Frontline Assembly on the single called Prophecy - flippin weird, looks like a giant cockroach growing out of a blokes back....sorry mods :offtopic1:

There are quite a few companies that make vr6 cams. There is Piper and Kent also. Do your homework...go to some vr6 meets and talk to people with cams and ask if you can take a ride in their car.

Up the Irons!!!!! :evilbat:

I liked my Schrick 268s. Graham E has them now, but I'm not sure if he's slotted them in yet or not.

They're good and offer torque advantages across the range, with and without a VGi manifold. Idle only gets slightly lumpy when the engine is REALLY hot, otherwise as stock the rest of the time.

it's a misconception that you need to run a mild cam for F/I. You just need to be able to fuel the cam more carefully. A well known guy here runs boost with 268°'s, but he runs piggyback fueling. Dyno was over 400hp, with an additional 40-50 hp at redline with the 268's. Overlap was no problem. I suspect the cat cams or any other will be just fine with boost, so long as you pay attention to your fueling.

Odd that Schrick themselves do not recommend FI with their 268s then.... obviously they are wrong then and your friend is right?

Fuelling has nothing to do with it. It's mechanics...if the exhaust valve is still closing on the compression stroke with the 268s, then that's where the boost is gonna go, carefully metered or not....

schrick isnt considering the fact that you can add standalone to the car. If I could find the dyno (rolling road) chart, I'd paste it here. The car makes power w/ schrick 268's and boost. It has been for quite some time. Dont be lulled to sleep by conventional wisdom. http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=2004988

I suspect that drag racing is a bit more popular over here.

I think I remember seeing a supercharged vr with 268's on Vortex and the cams basically made the same difference they would to a normally aspirated car, reduced torque low down but loads of power from about 4300rpm upwards.

I had 268's, not schricks, but Piper regrinds from Grant Motorsport. They gave a remarkable increase in grunt about 4500rpm. I managed to hit 207bhp with a stock 8v exhaust!

you can go for 276's too, but you'll need flat section valve springs to cope with the extra lift.

If you are thinking about supercharging, leave the cams stock for now, and get some Schrick 248sc's when you get the charger kit.

Numerous threads on vwvortex have proved that the 268's are the best "all round" performer and do not affect the mid or low range running.

Schrick are reported to be the best, but they are strong money, have a word with design dubs, matt and the boys know the Vr6 very well, he could sell you the schricks and do any of the work you mentioned.

Are any of you guys using Cat cams? They are getting very popular here due to the low cost, great gains. The company is actually based in Belgium.

I think I remember seeing a supercharged vr with 268's on Vortex and the cams basically made the same difference they would to a normally aspirated car, reduced torque low down but loads of power from about 4300rpm upwards.

From what I've read on Vortex, they do work. You just need the proper amount of fueling for them to work. There a few guys running them with turbos with good results.

i think that everyone is forgetting basic engineering rules - it would be silly not to have any valve overlap - as the gas flow of an engine is lost even in forced induction circumstances.

how ever i am offering further information on another way of getting power out of a vr6 which is to get the correct exhaust set up which will gain you up to 40 bhp if it is made correctly ...

i also had a chat with miles at stormdevelopments about this where all my questions were answered.

a six branch manifold is where to start where all the pipes are of equal lenghs relative to the head positioning - race land and supersprint versions won't do

next the cat should be gutted or removed depending on your local mot guy

if removed place a resonator 12 to 24 inches from where the gas flow becomes one it should be at laest 20 inches in length.

people with gutted cats should place it 6 inchs after the cat (gutted) out

next a rear axle mufler is the most important part of the whole exhaust it should be as big as you can fit under the car as this will represent atmosphere therefore will give you good power between 1000 - 7300 rpm.

after this point a performance rear silencer just for silencing....

this method has been tested by the guys at stormdevelopmets with 260 cams the car which they have a dyno for made 238 bhp at the fly wheel which they ahve a print out for ... if you have any questions give miles a shout as i have just got my car back and will be getting it dyno tested this week and will let you know how i get on ...

awesome stuff, where can ya get a 6 branch from then? I want to n/a tune my car, can be bothered with forced induction any more, i just replaced my standard vr with the pictured storm, and dont want to go crazy with the mods, as it'll de'value it!