Sign in to follow this  
Dutch24V

Vacuum pipe blocked off...

Have been looking around my engine bay in preperation to fit my new mod. and discovered that the vacuum hose coming out of the top right of the manifold and that runs across the coil pack and into the back of the engine bay is actually blocked off and connects to nothing?

I'm sure this should be connected to something so was wondering if any of the VR owners can confirm what this should be connected too?

I actually need a vacuum hose to connect into so am wondering if I could just use this one? It's to operate a vacuum controlled flap 8)

See pic.

Thanks in advance...

Dutch

That's the brake servo supply hose. If it's blocked you'd know about it because the brakes would be unservoed, heavy and uneffective.

If you're running a Schrick, take a vac feed off one of the two accessory outlets (green plugs) on that hose you've arrowed.

Hmmm, it's 100% NOT connected but my brakes seem/are good though - unless I'm just used to them being shite?

Would VAG-COM show this as an error then ?

Where is the brake servo btw? Anyone have a picture?

Dutch

Will not show on VAG-COM on this.

Brake servo is in the back corner under the brake fluid reservoir.

Thanks guys,

...will check the servo this evening then but that pipe I've arrowed above defo. doesn't connect to it at present as it's blocked of with a small screw and strapped to another pipe to stop it flapping about! - and no other pipes connect of it!?

Dutch

Ok, I may be totally wrong with this so some one please confirm.

I thought LHD VR6's were equipped with an electronic servo of some kind, rather than the conventional one fitted to RHD cars.

If this is so, that pipe wouldn't be needed.

hmmm, can anybody confirm this?

Also, should there be a vacuum hose connecting to the ecu on a VR?

Cheers...

Dutch

Dutch,

The green outlets Kev refers to are the ones to use (one of the two that is) for the vacuum hose.

Strange how this hose doesn't connect to anything. Have you tried asking your local VW dealer?

Unless your servo is getting it's vacuum feed from somewhere else, then yes, you have no brakes effectively and you really would know it.

The brake pedal position sensor for the ABS is plugged into the servo on Corrados, so you must have a servo. It's the big black round thing the brake fluid reservoir sits on. Have a look at the bottom corner of it for a hose.

I'm not aware of elecrtronic brake assist being fitted to Corrados, otherwise that servo hose wouldn't be plumbed into the inlet manifold at all. They'd have just blanked off the manifold connector.

VR6 ECU doesn't have a vacuum feed, but the schrick/VSR solenoid requires a vacuum feed.

Another picture of the right hand suspension turret area would answer a few questions.

Cheers Asim - I thought that was where the VSR would be plumbed into but just wanted to check first. As this pipe doesn't actually connect to anything on my car I guess I could also just pull out the screw that's blocking it off and plumb it straight into the VSR's vacuum pool thingy? Then I can leave the 2 little green connectors as they are?

I have asked at VW several times about the pipe being blocked off and the response is always 'hmmm, not sure really!' Even my mate who's a VW machanic and whos' fitted the 20vt into his G60 cannot say for sure!

Maybe the Bentley will explain all?

Kev, what do you mean by 'Another picture of the right hand suspension turret area would answer a few questions.'??

Dutch

I have heard from other people that the LHD cars don't use vacuum brake servos, I think they use the ABS pump circuit somehow instead.

I see...

Well that's 2 counts for me not having a brake servo as she's LHD so I will have a look when I leave work and post some pics later to confirm or deny this *rumour* :)

Excuse my ingnorance but what exactly does the servo do then and is it better to have the LHD solution (if infact it is like that) or the RHD (with a servo) one?

Well, either way, that hose you arrowed is a good place to take a vacuum feed from for your schrick.

A servo converts stored energy into movement by using a huge diagphram spring to help push the brake master cylinder. The servo use uses the engine's natural vacuum generated in the inlet manifold to 'charge' said spring. God knows what VW did in your car!

Without it on a car that needs one normally, the brakes are 10 times heavier! The downfall of servos is they must have the engine running to work, which is why people being towed sometimes drive into the car that's towing them :lol:

Cool. btw, it's not a schrick! 8)

Well I defo. have some other solution then as I have been towed before and the brakes felt like sh*te! ...but with the engine running my brakes are infact bloody good (the red stuff & Zimmermans see to that!)

Still, will check and post later though just to be 100%...

Thanks again...

Dutch

If it's a VSR I will just have to drive over and steal it from you.... not Asim's old one is it?

Maybe the ABS pump is used instead then as Dr Mat said but I've personally not heard of that! We need a pic now!!

8)

I wonder if there are any other small differences like this between the LHD & RHD models then?? (apart from the obvious of course!)

Guess I have the perfect vacuum pipe for the VSR then. Nice one...

Thanks guys,

Dutch

“isthisthebrakeservo.JPG”

Nope, the arrow is pointing to the EDL valve block (traction control) and the black box is the electronic controls PCB cover.

"servo_b20_140_250.jpg"

Not fitted in electric or vacuum form. LHD with ABS & EDL (Traction Control) is very different. Teves 02 braking system.

----------

The foot pedal assistance on a LHD VR6 is hydraulic. When I referred to the servo, it’s in the master cylinder body and the item that should be visible is the metal globe about the size of a large orange is the pressure vessel for assisting the system. I can’t see the globe in the photos, probably cos it’s lower down the bulkhead. There is no servo vacuum drum unit in this installation on the VR6 Teves 02 brake system with ABS & EDL..

The rubber hose in question I have doubt connects to the brake system. A) the hose is the wrong type for use on brake systems, B) no vacuum is needed as the brakes are hydraulic assisted. I wonder if it is a left over of Schrick manifold installation now removed.. Do you know the history of the VR6?

Is the rubber hose just hanging there cos that’s where it can be trapped and was in fact was connected elsewhere. Where will it stretch to easily in the engine bay?

Hmmm,

Is there a good reason for the system being so diferent on a LHD VR with ABS&EDL then?

The history of the car is that I am the 2nd owner from new - the first being a 45 y/o businessman who had it as a company car from March '94 to Oct '98, then I bought it. Therefore I doubt very much it previously had a Schrick fitted. Also, the engine was replaced with one from a '95 VR

in 2001 as the original dropped a piston and blew a 2 inch hole in the block!

The hose itself runs for about another foot back from the coil pack and that's it, so not too long. It will not really run to another part of the engine bay without stretching it over hot metal!

Dutch