Sign in to follow this  
Andy665

Cars with "Active Aerodynamics"

OK, so we have the Rados rear spoiler but what other cars have what could be classed as active aerodynamics

Brownie point for the person who can name the European car in the 90's that had an active FRONT spoiler

Didn't American and Japanese GTO's also have switchable active exhausts. You sure the Supra had active spoilers?????

Brownie point for the person who can name the European car in the 90's that had an active FRONT spoiler

James Bond's lotus from the Spy who loved me :)

Lotus_Esprit_007_Submarine_front_fin.jpg

Yeah the GTO did have a switchable valve in the exhaust, but as far as I know it wasnt manually activated it was used to get around the noise legislation in Japan as the test is done at a certain rev range, therefore the valve opened above the tested figure giving more noise and more importantly more power :) and yes it did also have active front spoiler and also one under the car if im not wrong to aid downforce. Theres a few cars about at the minute with active spoilers, the new shape VW Bug, Mclaren SLR as someone mentioned and of course various models of Porker. Cant think of anymore of the top of my head but im sure there are loads out there.

Bentley Continental has an active rear spoiler too, doesn't it?

And my old MX5 had an active spoiler if you pressed the boot release at 60mph ;)

And my old MX5 had an active spoiler if you pressed the boot release at 60mph ;)

PMSL :lol:

Doesn't the Chysler Crossfire have one as well btw?

That new TVR had some very cool looking vents in the front wings that opened up at speed until the russian guy got hold of the company and started listening to customers... I dont remember the exact reason they changed the design but JC mentioned it on top gear the other week.

K.I.T.T had some serious active aero's!

That new TVR had some very cool looking vents in the front wings that opened up at speed until the russian guy got hold of the company and started listening to customers... I dont remember the exact reason they changed the design but JC mentioned it on top gear the other week.

Apparently the official reason is that they fling brake dust and misc road gunk over the car from the wheels, so it makes your pretty paintwork all messy.

typical TVR planning then, wonder how many times they took the prototype out on the track before they smashed a windscreen with flying road debris?

Theres a few cars about at the minute with active spoilers, the new shape VW Bug, Mclaren SLR as someone mentioned and of course various models of Porker.

Does the new shape Bug have an active spoiler???

Not noticed one on my sister's, x reg :?: :?:

Well they put them in to give the brakes extra cooling for the race cars. The vents point the other way to the spinning wheel, so you shouldn't get anything up through the vents that'll crack the windscreen. But you do get a sludge line over the bonnet/wing.

Theres a few cars about at the minute with active spoilers, the new shape VW Bug, Mclaren SLR as someone mentioned and of course various models of Porker.

Does the new shape Bug have an active spoiler???

Not noticed one on my sister's, x reg :?: :?:

i think its only standard/available on the 1.8 T bug :wink:

I was told the 911's active rear was to increase airflow into the engine compartment more than increase rear grip...

In which case, it's not a spoiler as it isn't for aerodynamics.

Though I suspect it does both!

PMSL I heard they had active roofs too if you unclipped the roof at 60. WOOOMPH.

I was told the 911's active rear was to increase airflow into the engine compartment more than increase rear grip...

In which case, it's not a spoiler as it isn't for aerodynamics.

Though I suspect it does both!

Not on the 996 and 997 as they're water cooled. The spoiler is a spoiler on these models and comes up at 75mph.

Yup, not the base models though i dont think, is it just the turbo model, one of em has it anyway :)
..they've all got active spoilers from the 964 models :wink: ..the only exceptions being the 964 turbo/993 turbo and any model fitted with a whale-tail/aerokit type spoiler