dinkus

The definitive 312mm brakes onto a VR thread

Right, had a good look through here, would it be the same to fit 312mm discs and 2-pots on a G60? I got BBS splitties so space shouldn't be an issue.

If i can't afford the 2-pots then I'd just go for normal bigger calipers, this wouldbe the same right?

OK, so i take it VR's are 5 stud?

*awaits barrage of newbie abuse*

If so, do I have any bigger-brake options for a G60?

Yeah, 5 stud.

I saw somewhere someone said 280mm was your biggest, unless you wanted to go for a brembo set up or something like that.

Yup, my 312 beasties are currently on display in my lounge while I search for some suitable bolts to attach them with.

I would take a pic, but camera lost, blah, blah.

And yeah, sorry Ronan, I think the biggest you can get on a 4-stud is 280mm (the standard G60 brakes). Otherwise, you're looking at some 4-pot Brembos off a Seat of some sort (can't remember exactly what).

And the 312s are still only single pot callipers. Not like the 328mm, 6-pot Tarox monsters that Chargedup Storm has on his C :shock:

My mate has 6-pots on his Corrado, it's the one with the full widebody GTR kit on it, with 9 or so inch wide rear wheels. I will try and get some pics up, dont know if anyone on here has seen it.

Dinkus, can you keep us posted with which bolts, spacers etc you need and where to get them from?

My C is on axel stands with one seized caliper and steel pads :shock:

Just ordered the 312mm kit, so hopefully I shouldn't be sponging lifts to work for too much longer ;-)

Hah!! The buggers fit!!! :D :D :D :D with room to spare and no spacers too!

Hopefully gonna get them fitted properly on Friday :)

Despite my umming and ahhing over whether to paint them, they've been nicely cleaned up and they are pretty huge and crammed under that wheel - so sod it, they're gonna be red 8)

Pics of the proper installed at the weekend...

Of course, the only problem now is that I know how monsterously heavy my wheels are... and then I've just added a bigger, heavier calliper and a big chunk of extra steel. If all that extra un-sprung weight doesn't bugger the handling at least a bit, then I'm not sure what will...

Yup, but I forgot to take a pic of it all installed :roll:

If you look at the back of the hub, you should have washers, carrier, bolt head.

i.e. the washers pull the carrier further in-board to the car.

Yeah, thats what I thought. But are u using them allen headed bolts now for the carriers or is that just what u used to show the washers?

I'm using them for the carriers. You need to add 6mm of washers so the standard bolts aren't long enough and you can only get 12.9s in a cap-head.

Followin on from here, I'm gonna be needing come sort of long leverage tool to get me bolts undone am I? May have to look into some plus gas soon as well.

I'd invest in some PlusGas anyway, it's the daddy. Just don't expect it to work instantly. The longer you leave it to soak in, the further it will penetrate (ooh err). Go for a cuppa at the minimum, leave it overnight (possibly with the odd re-squirt) if it's really stubborn. It seems to shift most things eventually, but a big bastid breaker bar will certainly help things along nicely.

Hurry up Dinkus, I need to feel your brakes :-) I've heard a few reports that they're dead and mushy compared to the 288s, so I need to confirm for myself before splashing out....

£265 for the brakes (callipers, carriers, disks hoses & VW pads) delivered from ebay. They're slightly used, btu look like new.

£36 +VAT for the Goodridge hoses

£5.50 for the longer bolts and washers

So £306.50 as the essentials.

I also went for...

£52 +VAT for the Pagid FR pads

£20ish for 2litres of Dot 5.1 fluid to do a whole system flush

Plus I've also got braided hoses on the rear as well, so you can buy a full set of 6 hoses for (I think) £76. (2x front hoses, 2x chassis-rear axle hoses, 2x rear-axle-hubs hoses)

Edit: Dead and mushy :roll: :lol:

Did i not mention?

The 1st time I came to take the caliper carriers off I used a 1m-long bar to provide leverage.

And a handy piece of scaffold pole.

And a hydraulic jack...

Jeez, I'll have to start working out now then, I've only got weedy little arms and will struggle to undo these alone with my little wrench.

Well after a trip to Halfords and perusing the paint colours, I decided that I'd actually like black callipers cos then they won't show the dirt as much, but of course the only black calliper paint they do is the £24 kit with the brake cleaner and a 2-part paint in, rather than the £9.95 one-tin-off-you-go-matey stuff.

Ah well, they'll look good and I won't have to clean the flipping things with a toothbrush every 3 days :lol:

Now if only it would stop raining...

Meh, I've bought it now, so I might as well use it. Can't be arsed to drive back to Cambridge to change it :lol:

I want to paint them outside, but it's currently wazzing down with rain...