Sign in to follow this  
MattWilde

has my charger given up?-update 30/8/05

driving home last night and i started to smell burning oil, and low and behold when i looked in my mirror there was a nice blue haze behind me. There is oil in the boost pipes and throttle body so am i correct in thinking it's the charger? it's only 4 months old from a jabba rebuild :(

It sounds like an oil seal has gone, so I certainly wouldn't be driving it as you'll probably lunch the charger completely (£900ish for a new one).

If you haven't done many miles, I'd be having some serious words with Jabba, but failing that I'd get the charger sent off to somewhere reputable like G-Werks.

wow! thanks for the quick replies, only done about 10 miles. looks like i'll be calling jabba tomorrow then.....bloody cars, need a cheaper hobby :lol:

Err, Jabbasport do change the seals now. It'll be your scroll seal that popped, and can pop for a number of reasons. They use springless seals now which are alot better but require careful bedding in over 400miles.

How muching loading did you put on the 10mile old charger before it popped? how many times have you hit the redline?

You'll have the option to take it to jabbasport and get them tio rebuild under warrenty or send to Darren at G-werks.

called jabba today, gonna send it back there for warrenty work. the bloke sounded very nice and helpful. The certificate that came with the rebuild is marked to have everything except the main shaft replaced.

the bedding in period was followed religiously, not over 4k rpm for 500 miles but i have hit the limiter twice since (not too bad in 4 months and 4k miles though) will have to get the charger removed and sent to jabba

I blew my charger about 4 months ago about 4 weeks after i got it. Well i say it was me, jabba said it was 2 seals which had disintigrated and were going to blow inevitably. NOW i dare not push it too hard im just too PARANOID :shock: about blowing it again. Just had a chip and a pulley fitted and i dont see too much improvement. Apparently though the chip is an early type chip ill have to see about getting a newer one.

If Jabba were the last charger rebuilders on the planet - I'd prefer to rebuild my own charger.

I wouldn't go there even if they offered to pay me for the privelidge of rebuilding my charger.

what is this think about Jabbe sport being shit?

I thoguht they were ok, apparently not though. Explain steve. I havent been informed about the problem with jabbe

basically its been an ongoing saga over the past few years where their newly rebuilt chargers have grenaded after 500-1500 miles and then telling the customer to sod off!

the one i just bought off someone on Ed38 was rebuilt by jabba but i have just had a more reputable company look at it..... apparently it had non branded el cheapo top bearings so i had them changed pronto along with a few other bits!

Alex

right, got a call from jabba today and all is fixed and on it's way back to the garage to be fitted to my car and all under the warrenty. so i'm impressed to be honest. just have to see how well this one works

glad its all sorted mate :D

i got mine back from darren today and have finished fitting it about an hour ago 8)