Sign in to follow this  
EDSTARVR6

Engine Rebuild

I would check with these companies that it's definitely a 2.9 price.

Also ask them if they're using Mahle 2897cc 2.9 overbore pistons and rings (they're expensive), or if they're taking old 2.8 blocks out to 2.9 using standard replacement 2.9 parts from VW or a pattern supplier.

These refurbers sound a little cheap to me, but they might just have bulk buying power. The 60K warranty is damn good!!

Oh yes, I've heard of companies that make you do that. TBH I've heard mixed reports about them. Some investigations a few years ago found that some of the engines were just s/hand ones cleaned, painted and sold as refurbished. I can't say for sure that company do that but for £1600 fitted, and including the VAT for a 6 cylinder engine that is known to be expensive to rebuild..... I don't trust them mate, but that's just me.

Give stealth a call and ask them why their rebuilds are a grand more.... Vince is impartial and will tell it how it is.

Everyone says that Stealth are the future. If the car "only" need a cyclinder head rebuild I can afford that. But full engine rebuild is too much for my current climate.

Timing gear does rattle around 2000rpm. I thought it would rattle throughout the rev range when it is knackered?

Timing chain chatter is at it's loudest at 1200rpm. Try the search, there's a sound clip of it on here somewhere.

I hear you on the cost, but I know from my own experience of Stealth that they don't over-charger compared to their competitors, so unless these rebuilders can get the parts seriously cheap, I just feel they are too cheap....but maybe I'm just too used to paying full price for everything :?

Maybe look out for a s/hand low mileage engine instead?

I dealt with EnginesDirect (or at least a company of the same name based in Twickenham ) when I was a student back in 1994.

I had an '88 Cav 1.8 SRi that needed a new engine. Went to these guys and 5 months later it blew up on the A3 at +/- 100mph. Went back on the warrenty and they had just or were going bust so ended up with f*&K all!!

Solicitors were involved also but to no avail.

Coincidence maybe but for that price (which is what attracted me to said company too back then) I'd be a very cautious and at the very least investigate their history thoroughly!!

Dutch

Golf and Corrado VR6 plugs are identical and neiher VR6 have ever used a 4 electrode plug either.

whoops..my mistake the ones i got in the corrado are 3 electrodes and the ones that were in the golf vr6 head i bought are single electrode,which i used when the 3 electrode plug got fouled up

OK then whos had experience of cyclinder head rebuild? As this will be the route I'll take if I can get away without having the bottom end rebuilt. Are these rebuild reliable and robust? Will I be opening 'another' can of worms?

Look at VAG price list for a complete exchange head, including everything from the face of the cylinder block upwards. By the time you have had yours stripped down and rebuilt, you may consider it to be a good deal in the long run. When I did this a couple of years ago, the exchange price was about £750 +VAT, (but VAG prices go up and down like a bride's nightie). Plus labour of course, but much less labour than if it is to be refurbished.

Best wishes

RB