Sign in to follow this  
W3RKD

g-mans 4 door corrado... :wink: alive again (update13/11/05)

Well put a new belt on today to carry out compression test and got a big fat 0bar on every cylinder... i think this might be why.

i was just thinking it was bad enough when my mates 8v golf let go and he bent all 8 valves, and how bad it would be if it was a 16v but then you put the pics of 20valves all bent :shock: ..........i feel very sorry for you mate.

any other damage you can see?

do you think it will ok in time for e38?

ouch! havnt read this thread for a bit, sorry to hear about that darren!

bet your well chuffed off :?

Alex

Good luck, matey.

Can he fix it? Yes he can!

60350091a.jpg

Looks a little similar...

Shite.... Sorry to hear that mate. She is looking sweet too... I had a tensioner let go on me once shortly after I finished a Cambelt on a 1.8t Golf. Needless to say the garage had to foot the bill. Cost us £600 in cost parts :( And it sure aint funny lapping in all 20 new valves :cry: Hope you can get it sorted though. Was looking forward to seeing it at E38

****.... Sorry to hear that mate. She is looking sweet too... I had a tensioner let go on me once shortly after I finished a Cambelt on a 1.8t Golf. Needless to say the garage had to foot the bill. Cost us £600 in cost parts :( And it sure aint funny lapping in all 20 new valves :cry: Hope you can get it sorted though. Was looking forward to seeing it at E38

Is there a problem with the tensioners on these bloody engines as your about the eighth person i have spoken to today who has had bad experiance with them....

mine was just a belt that hadn't been changed... :cry: if only they hadn't of lied this would never of happened...

So why aren't you giving the dealer grief daz?
#

It wasn't them as i went there armed with service book etc.... When they called it up they only stamped the book for oil change etc... 1st owner must of added his own tick in the timing belt box... :cry: :cry:

One question though is .....In the service book there is a yes-no box, So if the work isn't carried out why the hell dont vag tick the NO box so that this kind of crap cant happen to other people... Maybe andy665 can answer this for us ?

****.... Sorry to hear that mate. She is looking sweet too... I had a tensioner let go on me once shortly after I finished a Cambelt on a 1.8t Golf. Needless to say the garage had to foot the bill. Cost us £600 in cost parts :( And it sure aint funny lapping in all 20 new valves :cry: Hope you can get it sorted though. Was looking forward to seeing it at E38

Is there a problem with the tensioners on these bloody engines as your about the eighth person i have spoken to today who has had bad experiance with them....

mine was just a belt that hadn't been changed... :cry: if only they hadn't of lied this would never of happened...

What year is the Passat mate? The early ones had a really crap tensioning damper set-up, with like a plastic link arm on it. They used this on early passats and A4's. BUT they have now all super-ceded over to the new style. Everybody always just changes the Cambelt and (tensioner) roller. The thing that actually holds the tension is the damper. If I am doing a belt and there is ANY sign of a leak or dampness around the top of the the damper I dont re-use it. Infact I recommend people to change the whole lot. Belt, tensioner (roller) tensioning damper, and water pump because they are crap as well. The vanes are plastic and always break. It's not cheap, but it's cheaper than a re-build. Not sure if you can get the dampers from GSF or somewhere, but they are about £60 odd quid retail form VAG IIRC. If i can help with anything else just shout.

So why aren't you giving the dealer grief daz?
#

It wasn't them as i went there armed with service book etc.... When they called it up they only stamped the book for oil change etc... 1st owner must of added his own tick in the timing belt box... :cry: :cry:

One question though is .....In the service book there is a yes-no box, So if the work isn't carried out why the hell dont vag tick the NO box so that this kind of crap cant happen to other people... Maybe andy665 can answer this for us ?

Yea, there is a YES and NO box. I always tick what has and hasn't been done. But have seen plenty of service books with blank boxes. The only way to be certain is to call the dealer and get them to check their history. What mileage is it mate? Bare in mind the last Cambelt interval update sheet I saw ( which incidently VW update once a month!!) says up to 120k for some of the 1.8t engines!! I've seen them go at under 60k

Oh mate, thats facked up... I hope you get it sorted in time for E38... one nice car!

drop a G60 lump it in?????

Sorry to hear that Daz, pics don't look too good either.

You would think that VAG would train its people to put an x or line through the servicing that have not been carried out to prevent this sort of abuse.

At least it gives you an excuse to modify the engine now.

Sorry to hear about it Darren, best thing to do would be to get copies of the service invoices from the dealer/dealers. Alot of Passats are company owned so they do get scheduled maintenance done as required. If i were in your shoes i'd phone up VAG customer services and say you bought the vehicle beleiving it had the cambelt changed and try to get some goodwill for the parts and if possible labour too.

Oh dear. Sorry to see that Daz.

Still, an object lesson to anyone out there who keeps putting this job, a new belt that is, off.

I would always advise looking at a car with a "claimed" FSH to ring the manufacturer and they will pull up the records - its too damned easy for boxes to be ticked by unscrupulous owners - at least checking direct with the manufacturer gives some added peace of mind

cant sit dwelling on the fact it died ....got a delivery today and she should be back up and runing first thing... fingers crossed.