Sign in to follow this  
cymru-corrado

Chip or Cams

have been looking into geeting cams then had a re-think into poss getting my car chipped.

Which do you Corrado residents suggest is best?

Money wise not to concerned have seen cams for £150 and chip for around £300 fitted.

Car is a 1.8 16v 1990.

cymru-corrado, hey mate

unfortunatly you cant get the 1.8 valver chipped. there is only an ignition ecu not a fuelling one.

as for cams, i think that VW got it pretty spot on but the 2.0l valvers benefit from an early exhaust? camshaft i think,

there are a few mods that can be done to an early valver though

have a search for WUR mod done by stealth, or fitting a different bottom end, cant remember which one sorry!

hth

ben

Damn, I didn't read the last part of the question, i tought it was a G60. :oops:

A 16v is dificult to tune because it isn't an injection that has been powered by an ECU, it's all mechanical.

If you want more power - best thing to do is sell it & get a G60. As has already been said - there's very little that can be done to a 1.8-16v, in order to increase power.

drop a 2.0 16v lump staraight in,a 9a engine code from rado's and passat gt's/beware some passat gt's had a kr 1800 lump.

can pick one up for £250-£300 and will be a straightish swap.

the good thing is that you wouldnt have to run a cat converter,so...

you can use the 1.8 16v inlet cam in the 2.0,have some head work done.

and you should be looking at around 160-170 bhp @ the fly,and impressive torque 8)

and then if you can,go for t-bodies :lol:

neil.

If you want more power - best thing to do is sell it & get a G60. As has already been said - there's very little that can be done to a 1.8-16v, in order to increase power.

looked at getting a G60 first but insurance company were going to rape me so went for the valver plus didnt have to worry about charger rebuilds

It depends on whats been done etc, but they usually do it in about 1 hour on the rolling road but if the car is say misfiring and they need to diagnose and fix it will take longer...

Well, they just charge you for the road which is £50 an hour plus vat IIRC... so depending on how long it takes... we're not talking about a remap here by the way, Stealth adjust the hidden warm up regulator to increase fuel at higher rpm allowing about 10-15 more bhp than out the factory...