Sign in to follow this  
Critical_Mass

Oil Temp

Sorry if this has been posted before. But read a thread about it and people were saying 90-94 was normal when driving and 105 is normal in traffic but........ my G60 can run up to 110. Its normally at 100-110 is this too high. The other day when it was humid and a bit of a storm it went up to 116 in traffic? is this too high and if so why and how do i sort it?

Mine G60 (with small oil cooler) runs the following temps:

Gentle 30-50mph cruising: ca. 94-98

80 mph motorway: 104

90 mph motorway: 108-110

Although I have seen temps up to 112 when giving it some on the motorway but I can't afford the petrol to keep up that speed!

I have also seen 114 when sitting in traffic after motorway work. It cools down once you get going though and as air starts flowing over the cooler

Sorry if this has been posted before. But read a thread about it and people were saying 90-94 was normal when driving and 105 is normal in traffic but........ my G60 can run up to 110. Its normally at 100-110 is this too high. The other day when it was humid and a bit of a storm it went up to 116 in traffic? is this too high and if so why and how do i sort it?

Doesn't sound too bad, perhaps a little on the high side for a G60, if the water temp is controlled OK by the cooling system then not too much to worry about. A change of oil and filter first if not been done then a new heat exchanger and radiator will improve things if they are old, surprising how much better a new rad can be at dissipating heat compared to an old scaled up one, again a new heat exchanger will be more efficient at transferring oil heat to the water cooling system.

David.

110+ in traffic is high..... check the fans are coming on, there's a few threads about it which you can find with the searcharoo.....

As you know i have a Charged VR, I was coming home lastnight up the motorway from down south to the northeast and sitting at 100mph mostly with the odd overtaking burst of 150mph and at a constant 100mph i saw 164C oil temp and my engine's fine so what's the crack with the 94C issue?

Chris

Who knows but that's what it says, seems to read correctly at all other times and regularly gets to 140C so i don't really worry.

Chris

What oil cooler u using Chris, Do you get that temp when running the NOS or on a daily basis?

Nar that's just optimax on a std engine with the charger on, don't use an oil cooler but i have a Nissan Primera oil cooler i was going to try and impliment, never used the nos this year even once, never needed too but might just squirt it if i run into Mr Wire on a dual carriage way some day! :lol:

Chris

Yes, if i can answer that one if the oracle is busy! :wink: :lol:

The fans may run for a few mins depending upon water temp obviously and the auxilliary water pump should be buzzing away too to curculate the hot water through the radiator and thus aiding cooling of the sho horned engine into the ickle Corrado!

Chris

can i just add onto this badboy.

on saturday i drove to corwall in the morning and back home in the night.

on the way down in the morning i seldom went over 70mph (( really! )) and my oil temp flickered between 112 and 114. On the return journey i went between 70mph and 80 mph all the way (( never going above 80mph )) and the oil sat between 114 and 116 the whole way, i even saw 118 for a short while.

A. do these temps sound high considering the fact that i was driving pretty lowly and at 3000rpm?

B. why was the oil running hotter on the return journey when the outside temp would have been lower and i wasnt going that much faster than on the way down.

C. whats the cheapest way of getting the temps down?...aparently dinkus's vr6 sits at 94 if hes doing 80mph, so even if the car can run that hot id prefer it not to!.

cheers

If you G60 boys are getting those temps you really need to get a Mocal oil cooler, after fitting I got an almost 20 degree drop and oil consumpion halved.

Also consider Castrol 10W-60

corradowales, I run with the grille removed when it's warm weather and the oil temp will drop 20-30 degrees from the temp with the grille in place.

Chris

I spent the weekend running in my JMR refurb'd charger and not going about 3k rpm and was surprised to see my oil temp between 105-114c. I dont think it was this high when I first bought the car. I was thinking maybe a build up of sludge in oil cooler could be causing the higher temps and I should of really removed it while I was cleaning out my intercooler but now the bumper and charger are back in place I dont fancy going taking everything apart again.

Have many people fitted external coolers to their G60s ?? Is there much work involved in it ?? Any one got any pics of a kit ?? And what about prices ??

markmcie, did you have all the mods in your list just fitted when the charger was done?? - if so that will explain the engine temp increase (mine went up by 10 just after a stage 4 ported charger, chip and pulley...)

Mocal kits are about £150 for the G60

I think an oil cooler should be one of the first mods done to a g60, it's cheap enough and makes things a bit safer.

Mine usually stays around 96, and after a good thrashing goes to about 106-108. But after about 5 mins of cruising it's back down.

ahhhhhh....you did'nt mention that to me now did you soup......so thats why mine runs 10 degrees hotter than my mates with a standard charger!.

ahhhhhh....you did'nt mention that to me now did you soup......so thats why mine runs 10 degrees hotter than my mates with a standard charger!.

Yep, more power will make yer ingin run hotter!

RACK, Yeah, agreed - mine runs about the same temp-wise..

I spent the weekend running in my JMR refurb'd charger and not going about 3k rpm and was surprised to see my oil temp between 105-114c. I dont think it was this high when I first bought the car. I was thinking maybe a build up of sludge in oil cooler could be causing the higher temps and I should of really removed it while I was cleaning out my intercooler but now the bumper and charger are back in place I dont fancy going taking everything apart again.

Have many people fitted external coolers to their G60s ?? Is there much work involved in it ?? Any one got any pics of a kit ?? And what about prices ??

JMR did mine, I think it was about £140 all in and that includes a thermostatic sandwich plate so it only kicks in at 90 degrees. The standard oil "cooler" is poop and actually serves to warm the oil more than cool it. It really is an absolute necessity if you're going to do anything to a G60, they run hot enough in bog standard tune.