Sign in to follow this  
Trig

Exhaust Mullered - god help me!

Think I have a serious problem with my exhaust. Drove it to a mates yesterday and on the return started up the engine only to find some serious reverbiration and a massive loss in performance (94 VR6).

Obviously this is deeply upsetting. Looked under my car and the large box that sits halfway along the car (sorry don't know what its called) has bits flaking away from it and the exhaust is giving off a rather horrible smell and seems to be wiggling more than usual. It now feels like i'm driving a 1.1 fiesta

with the shakes...

Does anybody know how much this is going to cost me? I'm thinking a lot. The only money I did have is paying for an alarm to be fitted thismorning!

Pictures...

:cry:

I'd say that was well and truely buggered!!!!!

Find a Longlife custom exhaust dealer and get one of them fitted. Cost you about £350. But then thats also cheaper than most alternatives!

But yes it is still alot.

got no experiance with longlife exhausts but you wont go far wrong by fitting a magnex cat back system,they sound right look good and are priced at £350 as are most aftermarket exhausts are

That suitcase-shaped silencer, the one that seems to be falling to bits, is actually double skinned and may well be perfectly servicable still if it isn't actually blowing, but your loss of power may be due to a collapsed catalytic converter internal matrix (which is the front-most can in the system, with a heat shield attached if it hasn't fallen off). Give that a good shake - if it sounds as though it has broken up inside, that could be your problem and you will need to decide if you are going to put in a bypass pipe or replace it. The Milltek sport cat is around £300 iirc, the VAG item is most probably a lot more. You will run a high risk of failing your emissions test at the next MOT without a cat.

Eventually that silencer will fall to bits and you will need to replace it; the original item is one piece in unit with the rear box, going over the rear beam which needs to come out to fit the exhaust. Exhaust system is £300 +VAT from VAG. You may consider a stainless system at that stage - which one is up to you; it has been talked to death on this forum.

As an aside, my suitcase silencer is a bit tatty as well, but not as bad as yours; at the last MOT but one, the tester said," your fuel tank looks very rusty". "What?", said I. "It can't be, it's plastic". Embarrassed silence from tester when he realised he was looking at the silencer. Result - Pass.

Best wishes

RB

As an aside, my suitcase silencer is a bit tatty as well, but not as bad as yours; at the last MOT but one, the tester said," your fuel tank looks very rusty". "What?", said I. "It can't be, it's plastic". Embarrassed silence from tester when he realised he was looking at the silencer. Result - Pass.

LMAO - nearly spat my tea all over my keyboard then, quality!

Roger 1 - Garage 0

Thanks for quick responses guys, didn' think it would be cheap. going on holliday tomorrow so will have to wait till i get back to have it sorted.

Would like to go for stainless steely sporty stuff but in deepest darkest cornwall there aren't many garages that do them!

There is a longlife in plymouth or a magnex in totnes but that is over an hours drive and the way she's going at the moment i'm not to happy about taking her that far...

Exhaust system is £300 +VAT from VAG. You may consider a stainless system at that stage

I thought the OE VR6 exhaust was a fully stainless one?

I bought one from VAG 2 years back that is anyhow!? Can't remeber the cost though but it was a lot!!

Dutch

The OE rear silencer casing seems to be stainless with mild steel endplates, the "suitcase" appears to have a galvanised outer cladding over mild steel, the interconnecting pipes are mild steel but THICK walled. The cylindrical front silencer also looks to be mild steel. All in all it weighs a lot more than I expected.

A very good 2nd hand spare set, all wire brushed and clean and shiny, is sitting in my shed, ready for the inevitable. Mrs. B's sarcastic remarks concerning its presence there will eventually be dashed into silence (a triumph of hope over experience if ever there was one....)

Best wishes

RB

So the only stainless part is the rear silencer casing?

Yep, the other disadvantage of the OE one other than having to drop the axle to fit it is it's weight. It's BL*&DY heavy, ...but it'll last at least another 10 years!!

Dutch

Turns out the suitcase bit is blowing, the cat is fine. ATS quoted me £300 for the lot so I phoned longlife, they quoted me £359 but I feel i'll be getting a much better system + it has lifetime garuantee.

So i've booked up with longlife, the guy asked me if I heard of them from a forum, he said they do a lot of corrados, wheras the guy at ATS kept calling it a G60..