Sign in to follow this  
Stan 24v

Alternator Removal

My Alt is F*CKED!!! Its not being regulated and the voltage being kicked out could power the hubble!!!

Problem is I'm in Preston and it was fitted in Norwich. However I'm going back there on Friday, so I need to take the Alt with me. This is where I need help:

How do I remove it? Is there a guide anywhere? Do I have to remove the slam panel? Or can it be done through the headlight hole?

Cheers

Stan

probably easier to take off the slam panel,but you could get at it from the top with a bit of a struggle and scrapped knuckles

On that note then.....You know whats coming dont you???

How do i remove the slam panel? Does the rad need to come off too????

Slam panel doesn't have to come off.

Remove air box

Remove driver's side headlight

Remove engine mount top nut

Slacken belt tensioner

Disconnect Alt wiring and belt

Jack engine up until you can get the bolts

Undo all the bolts holding it to the engine

Withdraw through the headlight hole

try without taking off the slam panel first mate, i saw chrisvr6nos/noskey remove, fit a new one, test, remove and fit the old one in the space of about half an hour without taking anything off the front, its just a bit fiddly.

you will need to remove the bumper,then you will see the 10mm bolts that hold the slam panel on,..thinking about it though you should be able to take the alternator off with out removing the slam panel,id look at mine but the engine is living on an engine stand at the moment

You screw a bolt into it and as uoy do it releases the tension as it butts up against something inside, IIRC.

Gavin

alternator belt? if you take it off there may be identifying marks that show how many ribs there are and what length it is - at least they do when new.

The code will take the format of 6pk1365 - 6 being the ribs and 1365 the length. from this code, any motor factors can order a belt based on length and ribs - at least up here in Sunny Sunderland they can - not so good down south are they Kev??? :) BTW Mr Wire, i've fitted the 7 rib belt and its first class - theres a slight deviation which will have to be adjusted with washers to make it perfect but i've never had any issues or slippage since the 3.1 went in last week - i've got a spare if you want one sending and i'll try and get some pics up for you - i've been quoted up to £25 from some outlets for the same belt as the one i'm getting for £15 so i'll just have to add postage to that if you want one.

they can't have been the cleverest then cos it shouldn't have been that hard - everyone knows where it is - anyway, vw part no and cost is £28.00+vat - 021145933c

Aftermarket belts either Daico or QH, the correct length and ribs part code is 7pk1270 - i can get belts for about £15.00 + postage - pm me if your struggling and i can get you one posted today

and by comparison to your GSF contact, both my vw supplier and aftermarket supplier know them as alternator belts - give the gsf guy a kick up the ass :)

they can't have been the cleverest then cos it shouldn't have been that hard - everyone knows where it is - anyway, vw part no and cost is £28.00+vat - 021145933c

Aftermarket belts either Daico or QH, the correct length and ribs part code is 7pk1270 - i can get belts for about £15.00 + postage - pm me if your struggling and i can get you one posted today

and by comparison to your GSF contact, both my vw supplier and aftermarket supplier know them as alternator belts - give the gsf guy a kick up the ass :)

I looked online, and it wasnt listed as that.

Can you send me one of your mucho cheapness belts mate? I dont have ac.

Send me your details in PM and I'll paypal you the money, if ok?

Cheers :)

the one thats immediately available is 1285 long 15mm longer than std which is a knats chuff over the complete length of the belt - ive used these before without an issue.

If you want it - it'll be £16.00 posted to your door.

the one thats immediately available is 1285 long 15mm longer than std which is a knats chuff over the complete length of the belt - ive used these before without an issue.

If you want it - it'll be £16.00 posted to your door.

Please mate. :)