Sign in to follow this  
CorradoVR6-Turbo

CorradoVR6-n.o.s's VR6 Turbo,,now sold :(

Not good man, I have the following symptoms too, an inch of standing smelly water in passenger footwell, soaking wet carpets all on passenger side now all way through to nearly rear bench, coolant warning light on, steamed up windows and coolant level in expansion tank keeps going down......not a good sign is it, sound like the matrix is going / leaking ?

Not good man, I have the following symptoms too, an inch of standing smelly water in passenger footwell, soaking wet carpets all on passenger side now all way through to nearly rear bench, coolant warning light on, steamed up windows and coolant level in expansion tank keeps going down......not a good sign is it, sound like the matrix is going / leaking ?

Sounds like it,just make sure its not water coming in from the around the heater duct,does the water/coolant smell? Or taste sweet?

If so yip dash out time! :(

How can I tell if it's coming through the heater duct ? Where about is it and how can you tell if it's blocked / leaking ?

Water not really smelly or sweet (there is a LOT of it though), but somewhat sticky-ish and if coming through heater duct and not matrix, this wouldn't explain why coolant level dropping and coolant warning light on ??

I'm guessing I should do something with the water as well then, this mean I need to take out the seats and carpets I guess ?

How can I tell if it's coming through the heater duct ? Where about is it and how can you tell if it's blocked / leaking ?

Water not really smelly or sweet (there is a LOT of it though), but somewhat sticky-ish and if coming through heater duct and not matrix, this wouldn't explain why coolant level dropping and coolant warning light on ??

I'm guessing I should do something with the water as well then, this mean I need to take out the seats and carpets I guess ?

If its sticky it sounds like coolant,it will linger in the bottom of the heater box until it fills up and spills out of the lower vents,best off taking the lower dash trims off and get a torch and look at the heater box for signs of dampness,also look at the carpet and sound deadening to see how the coolant soaked into it .

The screen wont always mist up if the matrix has leaked,it has to leak on the fins to heat up and turn into steam like mine did,but plenty crack at the bottom of the matrix and simply poor out without affecting the screen.

I've spent three hours removing the carpet and sound deadening to dry it all out with a heat gun and then shampooed it to get rid of the smell!!

Back together now Wehay!!! :D

I've done two matrices and in both cases the screen misting up was the first sign.

They usually only flood the footwell when the plastic end cans fracture or split etc. They can have a slight seep where the alloy meets plastic in the early stages.

Did you have loads of soggy leaves and things at the bottom your heater box? Mine had about an inch of leaves and twigs and things in the bottom!

Oh well, that's that done then....... more boost for you now :twisted:

Good and bad then James, I've been out working for a few days. So missed all your fun and games.

Didn't quite realise how big a job the matrix was. Good job though 2hrs!

there is no way this can be done in place like some say

You mean with the dashboard in place? I've watched a mate of mine change the matrix in a '93 Corrado VR6 without removing the dash. It can be done, I swear.

No way !as the matrix lifts up over out the heater box ,so you would have to remove the heter box while the dash was in place to get it out!

Good man if he did!

more boost for you now :twisted:

I hear you ........

DrEvil20_orig.jpg

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Well I removed the old FPR and fitted on the new Begi RRFPR and it rises properly not like the old one !

It also had no pressure gauge so I took it off the old FPR and drilled and taped the Rail and fitted the gauge,looks and works well.

Went for a drive,blew the fuel hose off on the side of the road as I used the stock VW spring clips were the rubber attaches to the plastic hose from the tank! Not good news when there is fuel everywhere and a hot turbo ! But I had a fire extinguisher ready at hand,sorted that problem and then set the boost to 11psi with this cheap manual boost controller that I found.

At first I hit 15 psi and it went mental,set it to 11psi and started to enjoy the drive,the torque is savage compared to the charger :shock: ,I can see why they strip 3rd gear! Personally I cant see me running any more power until I 4wd this as it lights up the wheels so easy ! :twisted:

So its using your right foot in moderation! I am in love! 8)

DSCN0524.jpg

DSCN0523.jpg

DSCN0522.jpg

Glad you didn't set fire to your car.....!

Sounds like the torque is mental.........worth changing from the charger then?

So am I !! :roll: So much so im going to add a fuel pressure switch to knock off the engine incase of sudden fuel pressure drop.

I'm well chuffed that I went turbo,just a little turn of the knob and I can have loads extra Psi and power and its quiet until you open her up :twisted: ,other than that you would not notice that the Corrado is turbo'd other than the intercooler on the front!

Just need tax now! as I've been using the trade plates! :lol:

Close call then James. Remind me to double check all my fuel hoses etc before I get mine running for the first time. Don't fancy a near miss, and definately don't fancy a fire!

How did you fit the heat shield to the manifold? I had a look today but no obvious way of doing it?

Power sounds awesome, I can't wait!

Yea,get rid of those spring clips,I did all mine but forgot one!!

I made brackets to fit the heat shield,they bolt across the studs and I trimmed the back of the shield to fit,looks nice and OEM not that it looks OEM anymore :lol:

Hows your coming along Dave?

Yea,get rid of those spring clips,I did all mine but forgot one!!

I made brackets to fit the heat shield,they bolt across the studs and I trimmed the back of the shield to fit,looks nice and OEM not that it looks OEM anymore :lol:

Hows your coming along Dave?

Fine, just updated with this weekends efforts, getting close now.

Just needs two little 'L' brackets from the studs I guess. Another job for the list!

I got myself one of those 'O' clip crimp kits before I started this project. The plan being to get rid of all those spring clips.

They are an 'O' shape that you crimp with a tool on either side to form a fully round clip. Great for fuel, vac / boost pipes etc.

Ideal for things that you don't want to leak and never come off without a pair of cutters.

The BEGI will send 100+psi through the injectors in the blink of an eye, so I'm not surprised to hear the hose popped off!

That's why my fuel lines are all 250psi rated and bigger bore too, and barbed ends with a "jerk" strength of 1000psi :-)

The BEGI is brilliant though, I was well happy with mine. After pulling my old motor apart, there was no sign of det and the plugs were all the right colour, so it worked perfectly with the standard injectors.....and I was told by the 'experts' that it wouldn't work :-)

Glad you're enjoying it and yep, the torque is indeed savage compared to a charger.

Well ive been laid off work and the slowly diminishing funds.

Car is outside on my mother drive(the grass) and im still after a house so push comes to shove and the raddo needs to go.

I will follow through this sale this time,don't know how much to sell it for as its not finished yet.

Any ideas?

I'm after a MK4 tdi if anyone fancy's a deal.

Cheers

I dont know mate,its a hard one but with the condition age and history including all the current mods possibly around 6-7k?

It would need managment, bigger brakes and suspension to fully finish it,then you can get upto 500hp.

bugger me - all that work.........

these turbo vr's are totally ill-fated, what with wires problems, your matrix and now this!!!!!

not worth seeing if you get sorted with another job, james before jumping??????? I'm sure work issue have hit you hard but you may have another job in a short space of time - a man of your undoubted quality - and you'll be okay.