Sign in to follow this  
g60greeny

cat 2 or 1

just renewed my insurance but they say i need to have a cat1 or 2 imobiliser fitted anyone know a rough price to what i'll have to pay?could do with a cheap one as funds are at rock bottom

I think a Cat 1 is a Thatcham approved alarm and an immobiliser and Cat 2 is just a Thatcham approved immobiliser... could be wrong though :)

The alarms themselves are not that expensive, you pay for the fitter to put one in and a proper job will take a good few hours!

I know that you can buy a Scorpian Cat 1 full closure alarm and imobiliser for around £100 inc VAT delivered. You can fit it yourself if you are happy with the electrics side of things.

You will also need to get a certificate from a registered alarm fitter to give the insurance company to prove that the system works. You can get any fitters to issue a new certificate as it is common for people to lose their certs especially when buying a 2nd hand car. I think this costs between £50-75.

The alarms and immobilisers are proper cheap to buy. I can supply anything from the Autowatch range, if you want to have a look at their site.

http://www.autowatch.co.uk/

I'll rustle you up a price on whatever.

The fitting is the important bit, which leads to getting the certificate. The insurance companies usually only need to see the cert in the event of a claim.

If you don't mind a ride over the Pennines I can probably sort you out with fitment of whatever you want.

Gavin

cheers for the offer gavin if you'd have been a bit closer i'd have dropped you a line,just having an imobiliser fitted this morning,he's a local guy and provides a mobile service so all is well